Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

Postby Jimmy the One » 14 Jun 2018 08:48

Trace wrote:
Jimmy the One wrote:Would like to have a Christmas cruise but Sheena wants it at home with the family.Need to look at Thomoson brochure the new ships look fab. :thumbup:
Good on you Dave for booking early look forward to the review.We have also booked early for next year

Jimmy, I would definitely recommend the Discovery... I have to say she is one of my favourite ships, along with the Ventura.

Their new ship, the Marella Explorer looked very impressive in Palma on 2nd June... I wish I had taken photos for Dave, but i didn't bother with camera hardly at all, as the rest of the family were using theirs. I was just happy being with my grandchildren :)

Thanks Tracey that has spurred me on to pop in to our TA and get a brochure our last Tomson ship was Celebration :thumbup:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 27 Sep 2018 12:50

This morning I walked to the TUI shop in Canterbury to pay the balance for our Christmas Caribbean cruise. I could have paid over the phone, but it's a very enjoyable walk - especially on a beautiful day like today. ;)

We've now pretty much settled into doing just the one cruise a year - in the Caribbean - because, while we've become less enthusiastic about cruising, nothing beats spending a week on assorted Caribbean beaches at Christmas! 8-)

We began doing Christmas Caribbean cruises back in 2013 and, with just the one exception, we've done one each year since:

2013: Thomson Dream
2014: Thomson Dream
2015: Costa Diadema in the Mediterranean - the exception. We had the Grand Suite Samsara for the price of a modest Thomson/TUI cabin in the Caribbean, but...
2016: TUI Discovery :D
2017: Marella Discovery 2
2018: Marella Explorer

Quite simply, we've enjoyed all of our Thomson/TUI/Marella cruises immensely and we've no intention of cruising with anyone else. :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 27 Sep 2018 13:06

Why change for change's sake? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'm sure you'll
have just as good a time on this forthcoming one as on all the last! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby room24 » 15 Oct 2018 19:24

Managed to have a cruise on her for a week in June this year soon after she became Marella Explorer
We flew from Gatwick to Palma and transfer to the ship was easy & straightforward
It was a last minute booking so the only choice we had was for an inside stateroom
I thought that there was plenty of room for the two of us....and had no complaints about the room
Actually had no complaints the entire cruise....crew were fine.
I think you'll have a great time on this ship....I enjoyed my week on board & the ports we visited
room24

Postby Dave » 17 Nov 2018 16:53

With only five weeks to go before our Christmas cruise on Marella Explorer, I thought I'd check the TUI website to see what the itinerary is. To be honest, after booking it almost a year ago, we haven't given this cruise much thought. :oops: After all, it's mainly about spending a week on various hot sandy beaches, so the actual islands didn't really matter that much. 8-)

Anyway, I noticed that the headline price (for an inside cabin for two) is now £1200 more than we paid for a large balcony cabin last January. And the price of a large balcony cabin is now over £1660 more than we paid! :o

I've read many complaints from people on forums about prices dropping after they've booked a cruise (because they can't stand the thought that someone might be getting something for less than they did!), so presumably no-one will complain about these hefty increases. Well, we're not anyway! ;) :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 17 Nov 2018 18:08

Several months ago we saw the "MSC Musica" relocation cruise from Durban to Venice in April 2019 advertised for £1,799 including flights from the UK to Durban, a hotel in Durban and flight from Venice to the UK. Since then it went up to over £3,000. We are keeping a close eye on it in the hope that it will reduce nearer the embarkation date. Fingers crossed!

When on a cruise we NEVER, EVER, discuss prices with other passengers - somebody is bound to be upset!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Boudicca" - Western Europe
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: That's Christmas 2018 sorted (on Marella Explorer)!

Postby Camela » 17 Nov 2018 19:28

That is the golden rule Geoff I won't tell and frankly am not interested in what fellow guests have paid. If the price that you pay is right for you at the time of booking that is the end of it. I was waiting for a couple of Fjord cruises to come down nearer to sailing in the summer. It didn't happen so we went without! Then we found something in another cruise area so you can't tell.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 Nov 2018 11:33

Dave wrote:With only five weeks to go before our Christmas cruise on Marella Explorer, I thought I'd check the TUI website to see what the itinerary is. To be honest, after booking it almost a year ago, we haven't given this cruise much thought. :oops: After all, it's mainly about spending a week on various hot sandy beaches, so the actual islands didn't really matter that much. 8-)

Anyway, I noticed that the headline price (for an inside cabin for two) is now £1200 more than we paid for a large balcony cabin last January. And the price of a large balcony cabin is now over £1660 more than we paid! :o

I've read many complaints from people on forums about prices dropping after they've booked a cruise (because they can't stand the thought that someone might be getting something for less than they did!), so presumably no-one will complain about these hefty increases. Well, we're not anyway! ;) :thumbup:

I know once you've made your choice you are quite happy with it, but it is still very gratifying to know that by booking when you did, you saved a fortune! :thumbup: :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 18 Nov 2018 17:41

Gillzajoker wrote:
Dave wrote:With only five weeks to go before our Christmas cruise on Marella Explorer, I thought I'd check the TUI website to see what the itinerary is. To be honest, after booking it almost a year ago, we haven't given this cruise much thought. :oops: After all, it's mainly about spending a week on various hot sandy beaches, so the actual islands didn't really matter that much. 8-)

I know once you've made your choice you are quite happy with it, but it is still very gratifying to know that by booking when you did, you saved a fortune! :thumbup: :D

Totally agree with Gill, Dave, and likewise with the others - never discuss and really don't want to know and would enjoy the cruise regardless. However, yes, must admit I'd be pleased if I found myself in your position if I found out by accident that the price had gone up and not down. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 Nov 2018 15:22

grannyM wrote:[

Totally agree with Gill, Dave, and likewise with the others - never discuss and really don't want to know and would enjoy the cruise regardless. However, yes, must admit I'd be pleased if I found myself in your position if I found out by accident that the price had gone up and not down. :D[/quote]

Well, Marie, I'm from Yorkshire, you're from Scotland, so we both love a bargain, don't we!!! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext