Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - DIY PISA

DIY PISA

DIY PISA

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 13 Jun 2018 18:15

Livorono for Pisa/Florence - We had decided when researching for this trip that we would be doing a long trip the day before in Rome so we would not go to Florence this time we would visit Pisa. I booked train tickets online did lots of research and booked tickets to visit all the places in the Square of miracles including climbing the tower of Pisa. We had fantastic time we got the shuttle bus from the port to town this was quicker than expected and was free which was also unexpected as it used to be a payable service. Anyway when we got into town we shared a taxi to train station as it was a Sunday the bus didnt start for another hour. We only left the ship so early as we expected a queue for the shuttles :lol:. Anyway we got to the train station got our train to Pisa and then got lost what can i say its me i always get lost. As it turned out we werent' lost just further away from the tower than i thought but we had walked back to Pisa station by then and bought a couple of tickets for the bus and took that to the square of miracles . TIp buy tickets before going on bus from the newsagents inside the station and buy two tickets one for going and one for coming back they were relatively cheap but can't remember how much around 1 euro 50 and your ticket is valid for 90 minutes from when you validate it on the bus. You can get the bus just outside the train station

We then spent several hours in square of miracles where we saw lots of good sights and also some not so good ones. The not so good ones where the graveyard tombs/coffins or whatever they called and there was this young couple sitting practically eating the face of each other time and a place people.

Anyway we had lunch in subway i know you go to Pisa and go to subway wasn't planned that way just sort of happened.

TO climb the tower you need to be 8 before the end of the year you wish to climb and children must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18 and you have to have a ticket you can purchase them online up to 20 days in advance of your ticket however make sure to get them from the official sight. You also need to be physically fit to climb it and to be honest i was worried about if i could make it up it was the going down i should have been worried about i forgot about the leaning bit. I really enjoyed the visit the whole climb up and down and includes a brief commentry takes about 30-35 minutes and only a small group are allowed in each group and its in 15 minute time slots. You also cannot take bags up the tower they must be left in the cloakroom directly across from tower 15 minutes before don't arrive more than 15 minutes before as they are quite strict about when you can leave your stuff. The cloakroom is free to use unlike the toilet which is payable. Dont' forget to pick your stuff up at end of your visit. THe cathedral is free to enter but you must have a ticket to enter you get one that means you can enter at anytime during your visit if you purchase an entrance to any of the other attractions. Or you can get one from the ticket office but this is a timed visit and you can only enter at the time specified on your ticket. Well anyway we did all the silly photos and jumping about. I must admit I thought the cathedral in Pisa was nicer and more stunning than the one in Rome. It was magnificent. Would I go again most definately in a heartbeat we loved it and all the people who say that Pisa is only one stop job to take a picture of the tower is really selling the place short we spent about 5 or 6 hours here and could have spent longer. We did some shopping bought the usual tat as you do and had a furtherly enjoyable day returned to ship via the bus train and local livorno bus and port shuttle bus. Tired but very happy great day in a beautiful part of Italy but you know there are several leaning bell towers all over Italy.

Also everyone goes to Pisa to see the bell tower many forget to visit the cathedral behind the tower its free you only need to pick up a free ticket at the ticket office to view inside. Also please remember if visiting the Cathedral there is a dress code covered shoulders is a must.

sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

DIY PISA

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 Jun 2018 19:59

Stunning pictures, thanks for sharing and for your DIY information. :thumbup:

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

DIY PISA

Postby Trace » 13 Jun 2018 20:32

Fab photos Donna.... Can't believe we were there only two weeks ago tomorrow.. We were there at 9.05am... Quick wander around, it was so lovely and quiet, ( we have photos of when we first arrived, then hubby took some from the same area of the crowds as we were leaving..)
we then Headed straight to the ticket office, for our daughter, son in law and children to get tickets from there, and they were 4th in the queue... They did the churches too. Have some fabulous photos.
We spent a lot of time in the little back street bars, and really enjoyed the markets, the grandchildren bought lots of gifts for friends etc, and souvenirs.
We pre booked private taxis, cost us a lot, but worth every penny to us, as made it stress free.... €450 for 7 of us, for the day... It was a reputable taxi firm that was recommended to me... He was at our disposal all day and was the loveliest man you could meet, he offered to take us to Florence, or Lucca.. but after a few hours our grandchildren wanted to get back to the ship, us adults were all more than happy to... When we got back to Livorno, hubby settled up, and gave him a tip, he gave him €50 back... He didn't have to, maybe he was just happy to finish early for the day :)

Whilst I know we could have done it loads cheaper on train, as we had young children with us, we wanted peace of mind that we would be safe, and guaranteed back to the ship on time.

Donna, did you and Johnathan love the market? We did, we found it so much bigger than last time we were there which was in 2009
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

DIY PISA

Postby judgegeoff » 13 Jun 2018 22:13

Many thanks for sharing your Pisa visit with us Donna, and well done for doing it DIY! :clap: I found it to be a very interesting post and your photos were excellent. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: DIY PISA

Postby hazel20 » 14 Jun 2018 08:44

Brilliant post - thank you!
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Sapphire - July - Musical Mediterranean
Balmoral - September - Captains in Cadiz
Saga Pearl II - November - Moorish Mediterranean
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

DIY PISA

Postby Jimmy the One » 14 Jun 2018 08:56

Great photos Donna brave girl to D.I.Y. brought back all the memories of our visit did the usual photo of holding back the tower :lol:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

DIY PISA

Postby grannyM » 14 Jun 2018 11:12

What a good post with great tips for anyone thinking about doing DIY Pisa. Fantastic photos too. Thanks for sharing them with us. :clap: :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

DIY PISA

Postby Gillzajoker » 14 Jun 2018 15:20

Great report and pics. Donna :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

DIY PISA

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 15 Jun 2018 20:13

Jimmy the One wrote:Great photos Donna brave girl to D.I.Y. brought back all the memories of our visit did the usual photo of holding back the tower :lol:

why it takes 15 minutes on the train :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

DIY PISA

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 15 Jun 2018 20:20

Trace wrote:Fab photos Donna.... Can't believe we were there only two weeks ago tomorrow.. We were there at 9.05am... Quick wander around, it was so lovely and quiet, ( we have photos of when we first arrived, then hubby took some from the same area of the crowds as we were leaving..)
we then Headed straight to the ticket office, for our daughter, son in law and children to get tickets from there, and they were 4th in the queue... They did the churches too. Have some fabulous photos.
We spent a lot of time in the little back street bars, and really enjoyed the markets, the grandchildren bought lots of gifts for friends etc, and souvenirs.
We pre booked private taxis, cost us a lot, but worth every penny to us, as made it stress free.... €450 for 7 of us, for the day... It was a reputable taxi firm that was recommended to me... He was at our disposal all day and was the loveliest man you could meet, he offered to take us to Florence, or Lucca.. but after a few hours our grandchildren wanted to get back to the ship, us adults were all more than happy to... When we got back to Livorno, hubby settled up, and gave him a tip, he gave him €50 back... He didn't have to, maybe he was just happy to finish early for the day :)

Whilst I know we could have done it loads cheaper on train, as we had young children with us, we wanted peace of mind that we would be safe, and guaranteed back to the ship on time.

Donna, did you and Johnathan love the market? We did, we found it so much bigger than last time we were there which was in 2009

His highness is only happy when he spending money he's worse than a woman I actually had to say to him somewhere can't remember where can we go im bored now :lol: . Don't know about loved the markets but I bought pleanty :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Return to Europe