Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - My last week at work

My last week at work

If you can't decide where a new topic should go, then put it here.

My last week at work

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 Jul 2018 21:05

What an emotional roller coaster of a week to mark the end of my 42 years as a teacher, 17 years of which having been spent at my present school where I have had the responsibility as Special Needs Co-ordinator (although I will be in work next week whilst the majority of the children are on a residential week).

Last Saturday was spent at my farewell meal whilst this afternoon was spent at The City Church, MK attending our prize giving and end of year service and receiving lots of kind words and hugs/presents from friends and parents. In between, I was given my leaving present of a ceramic plaque to commemorate my last 17 years spent at this school, designed by the staff and fired and glazed in our School kiln plus a beautiful blue glass vase and candle with holder in the same design; it is stunning.

At lunchtime today, I was given an additional present. The intention had been to buy some vouchers for me to use on our next cruise, but P & O were unable to issue these and as no one had my cruise number and booking reference, this was not to be. So instead I have the cash to buy something else. We’ve had a thought or two and as we are due to visit Murano, whilst visiting Venice later this year, I’m thinking about some Murano coloured glass as a memento of my time spent working with such generous, supportive people.

I shall miss them x

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: My last week at work

Postby Camela » 13 Jul 2018 21:57

Thanks for sharing your feelings bo. My DIL is a teacher and I understand the emotional bond you have with your pupils and your calling. Enjoy your retirement (and the odd cruise) but know you have made a great contribution to your pupils.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

My last week at work

Postby judgegeoff » 13 Jul 2018 22:19

Congratulations on your retirement, it will seem strange for a while, but enjoy your new life. :clap:

However......retirement is not all a bowl of roses - you get no days off for a start! :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 14 Jul 2018 07:07

Happy retirement. It’s the best job I’ve had but does tend to increase your spending on tea bags and coffee.!
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

My last week at work

Postby grannyM » 14 Jul 2018 08:47

Emotional times Glynis but what lovely compliments and long lasting friendships to take with you. You have clearly made a huge difference to lots of young lives through your hard work and dedication to your job. You certainly deserve all the thanks from parents and staff that have been coming to you these last few weeks. :thumbup: :clap: :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

My last week at work

Postby adogap » 14 Jul 2018 17:53

Congratulations Glynis. You are clearly much appreciated by your students and their parents. Guarantee you in a couple of months you will wonder how you ever found the time to work. Have a very happy retirement xx

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

My last week at work

Postby Camela » 14 Jul 2018 18:18

judgegeoff wrote:Congratulations on your retirement, it will seem strange for a while, but enjoy your new life. :clap:

However......retirement is not all a bowl of roses - you get no days off for a start! :lol:

Not if you're the female partner you don't :lol:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

My last week at work

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Jul 2018 10:59

Happy retirement, Glynis, and enjoy your (hopefully) cruise filled future! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

My last week at work

Postby CGBOWLER » 15 Jul 2018 14:40

Welcome to the world of the retired.
I hope you will be as happy as I have been since 1992.( Officially 1992 but I did supply teaching at "my" school for the following two years.) I was lucky to be granted early retirement at the age of 50. Started teaching in 1963 at a salary of £630 per annum. :o
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Seamouse » 15 Jul 2018 15:40

Wishing you a really happy retirement. I am sure you will find plenty to occupy your time, especially when there is cruising to do!!
Chris

Cruises booked :-

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next