Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

An area for topics about more general cruise-related matters.

Postby Dave » 12 Jan 2019 19:27

On our recent cruise I stuck my hands in the hand spray machine whenever I passed one. :angel:

Firstly, I quite like using them.

Secondly, I see the sense in using them.

And thirdly, our cabin was near the stern and below the buffet restaurant so we frequently walked through the (almost always open) buffet on the way to the cabin - and even though we weren't stopping to eat, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was intending to use the buffet without first sanitising my hands. After all, someone might start shouting at me... ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Jan 2019 14:18

:lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Borneo » 14 Jan 2019 10:36

I have to say Saga are on the doors to the dining room and you have to use the sanitizer in their hands.
What annoys me is people handling food and eating it as they go round the buffet. Some can’t even wait till they reach their seats befor they start tucking into their plate of food . Why, what’s that all about !!!
Julia
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby hazel20 » 14 Jan 2019 11:51

Borneo wrote:I have to say Saga are on the doors to the dining room and you have to use the sanitizer in their hands.
What annoys me is people handling food and eating it as they go round the buffet. Some can’t even wait till they reach their seats befor they start tucking into their plate of food . Why, what’s that all about !!!
Julia

That really annoys me too, Julia. It's just so greedy!

The other thing I like on Saga is the way you automatically get gel on your hands as you exit the toilets. But still you see some people using a fingernail to pull open the door rather than have gel. And I have heard/seen people not wash their hands as the gel will clean them.....that's really yuck
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Balmoral - Jan to March - California and Mexico
Saga Sapphire - May- Canada
Spirit of Discovery - July - Maiden Voyage & second cruise
Saga Sapphire - Christmas
2020 - Black Watch - Four Freds in Funchal
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Re: Norovirus on Oasis of the Seas

Postby Camela » 14 Jan 2019 13:47

It's second nature to me to always carry a small hand sanitiser in my bag. My favourites are Bath and Bodyworks from the States. Compact 29mls and they smell fantastic. Some are quite strong so the smell lingers, very useful if you've forgotten cologne. Will be stocking up soon.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 14 Jan 2019 15:45

I have occasionally confronted passengers (or spoken out to make it obvious that their avoiding tactics have been noted) who don't use the sanitising gels that are visibly stationed outside the dining areas, in the toilets and also outside the bars/lounges. Some retaliate by saying they are "allergic to the sanitiser", but as there are always the choice of the one which squirts automatically and the bottles, they are being pedantic.

Like others, even if I am not using the buffet/dining area/lounge but just passing through, i still use the hand sanitiser - and even on land, if it is available - like at the GP's surgery - I make use of it. It may not smell pleasant, but I would far rather avoid the norovirus - having had personal experience of a minor bout once, its an experience i don't wish to repeat!

Another cause of spreading germs is people sneezing too - as the captain on a recent cruise siad "sneeze into the inside of your elbow if you can't get your hanky/tissue out in time". Wise words - but often some people just act as if they are immune to any infection and they couldn't possibly be responsible for passing any germs are. Sadly, these people often are the main culprits and the first to complain loudly when deep cleaning processes are implemented. Norovirus is contagious and thus is often found in many public places like hotels, etc. It just seems to make the news more when it is on a cruise ship because people can't "escape" so easily from a ship as they can from a hotel.

I know Saga have the questionnaire that all passengers have to complete at check-in, to try and reduce the possibility of people bringing infection onto the ships - questions regarding whether you have had diarrhea, temperature or vomiting in the 48 hours before embarkation. I'm sure other cruise lines also have this, but it does depend on the person answering it honestly - as they know the consequences of admitting they have had these symptoms may mean they have to forego their holiday.
Future Cruises - Canaries Canada, Iberia, Med, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Borneo » 14 Jan 2019 17:07

Two things here. Firstly where Lesley says some are allergic to the gels , now Maurice does use it but he does suffer from dermatitis and his hands do get terribly sore when on a two week cruise. Secondly norovirus or some viruses can be airborne. When we were staying in Tenerife once,it went round the whole island like wild fire. Every hotel had it , we had it and there was one poor guy coming home on the plane suffering with it , he was in an awful state. So I suppose he brought it back to the UK . :?
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 14 Jan 2019 17:11

I'm impressed that a captain would be speaking out on health prevention on board.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Carwalsick » 16 Jan 2019 13:40

Putting to one side the earlier defensive responses, some good points have now been made. Sanitisers are only of limited effect with coughing and sneezing of at least equal importance. Failure to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after visiting the loo is a major culprit often observed and, in my opinion, deserving of vociferous protest from fellow passengers. I'm pleased that a captain's intervention has impressed but this is not unusual with Saga and on occasions they have curtailed physical contact including hand shaking.
At the bottom line it's almost impossible to legislate against stupidity and apathy.
I await seeing who I have offended this time.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Jan 2019 15:37

Probably no-one, as on this occasion your comments were not denigratory. :D