Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Pearl's final months

Pearl's final months

Pearl's final months

Postby khkate » 14 Jan 2019 15:54

Now that we are into 2019, Saga Pearl just has a few more months of being in service as a cruise ship with Saga - just 3 more cruises after her current one. Sadly, still now news (as far as I am aware) on what her destiny is. We will be boarding her soon for the last chance to cruise on her.

Her farewell voyage has been almost sold out - but today, we got a brochure in the post indicating there had been several cancellations. Looking online, there are almost 40 cabins available - but the starting price is probably making it unaffordable for many, especially as many will be concentrating on saving to travel on the new ship that launches later this year. What a shamer that they still don't appear to offer it as a fly-cruise option - cruise to South Africa and fly home, or vice versa. However, it is too close to departure date now for us to consider any options - although to cruise to/from south Africa is very much on my wish list.
Future Cruises - Canaries Canada, Iberia, Med, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Pearl's final months

Postby Camela » 14 Jan 2019 17:07

Sad when an era comes to an end. We've just seen The Searchers on their farewell tour. Enjoy your cruise kh, I really must go to South Africa.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 14 Jan 2019 19:02

Camela wrote:Sad when an era comes to an end. We've just seen The Searchers on their farewell tour. Enjoy your cruise kh, I really must go to South Africa.

MSC have a ship that operates from South Africa in the European winter (the RSA summer) but returns to Europe for the European summer. The "MSC Musica" sails from Durban to Venice in April 2019 and the "MSC Orchestra" sails from Genoa to Durban in October 2019. The Venice bound itinerary is very interesting :-

26th April - Departs Durban
30th April - Reunion
1st May - Mauritius
4th May - Seychelles (overnight)
5th May - Seychelles
13th May - Aqaba
14th May - Transit Suez canal
15th May - Transit Suez canal
17th May - Katacolon
18th May - Kotor
19th May - Split
20th May - Venice (24 nights)

The October 2019 cruise itinerary is :- Genoa, Civitvecchia, Chania, Eilat, Aqaba, Suez Canal, Salalah, Maldives, Seychelles (overnight), Mauritius (overnight), Reunion and Durban (29 nights).

Chris and I did the April 2015 Cape Town to Venice cruise on board the "MSC Opera" but it took the western route past Africa which is not as interesting as the eastern route (although we did get to visit St. Helena).

These cruises are often heavily discounted and can be combined with a holiday in South Africa. We love South Africa and have been many times and can heartily recommend it as a holiday destination.

Sorry to go off topic a little.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Boudicca" - Western Europe
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 15 Jan 2019 16:31

And that one would tick the Suez Canal box!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 17 Jan 2019 15:10

We saw one of the MSC ships departing Cape Town when we were there 2 years ago. The only aspect of those cruises that deters us is the "fly" bit. Fred O occasionally do a cruise to that area - but never at a time that suits us as we always seem to have some other cruise that clashes. However, never say never - we hope to do it one day!
Future Cruises - Canaries Canada, Iberia, Med, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral