Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Health and Safety

Health and Safety

If you can't decide where a new topic should go, then put it here.

Health and Safety

Postby Dave » 13 Jun 2019 16:21

My walks often take me through the grounds of the University of Kent.

Today I was walking through the campus along a wide and very quiet no-through road with a 20mph limit when I couldn't help but notice this group of signs...

Basically, for no more than about 50 yards the footpath isn't available. So a map has been provided showing a diversion, which I estimate to be about 300 yards, as an alternative to the unavailable path. Another notice asks pedestrians to adhere to the temporary route (presumably not deviating from it!). And twice we're warned (in red) not to use the road.

I'm guessing that a fair amount was spent on the signs, and I'm guessing that not a single person has used the diversion. I didn't! 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Health and Safety

Postby rdw123 » 14 Jun 2019 08:21

We’ve all gone elf and safety mad over here. Keeps someone in a job I suppose.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Health and Safety

Postby CGBOWLER » 14 Jun 2019 12:28

I suppose it's more a case of compensation claims these days.
If a person were to be knocked down and injured - or worse, killed on that bit of road, the claim would be enormous and it probably wouldn't matter if it were that person's own fault.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Health and Safety

Postby Dave » 14 Jun 2019 18:45

CGBOWLER wrote:I suppose it's more a case of compensation claims these days.
If a person were to be knocked down and injured - or worse, killed on that bit of road, the claim would be enormous and it probably wouldn't matter if it were that person's own fault.

Perhaps, but I struggle to envisage how a pedestrian could get themselves injured or killed on a very quiet, wide, 50-yard straight bit of road with a 20mph limit - without, that is, a deliberate suicide attempt by the pedestrian, or the fault being entirely that of a lunatic driver... :think:

(I do a great deal of walking and, in non-urban areas, footpaths along the sides of roads are almost unheard of!)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to or something completely different!