Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery

Spirit of Discovery

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Borneo » 08 Jul 2019 20:56

Not long to go now and our chauffeur will be picking us up from home and taking us to Dover for the maiden voyage on Spirit of Discovery.
Can’t wait to see this new ship, there has been many photos on another blog, and she looks stunning.
Hazel will be our destination speaker. So between us you should all get a good review of this new ship.

Speak to you soon ;)
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Spirit of Discovery

Postby Carwalsick » 09 Jul 2019 07:52

Have a great cruise. Look forward to hearing about it. We're on board in november.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Jul 2019 12:22

Can't wait to hear all about it, Julia! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Borneo » 12 Jul 2019 07:44

Wow , what a ship, in fact you don’t know you are on a ship it is so quite and smooth, something to do with having a special propulsion engine that can go sideways . ( I don’t really understand ) but it is silent and the sea so calm . Everything is silent even the aircon . So much space, a library to die for. Went to theatre last night, that is amazing every seat is a good one . The new Saga entertainers were out of this world . I was mesmerised all the way through their performance of songs of Broadway shows .
Our Hazel did a fascinating talk on Ireland , so much I didn’t know about Ireland’s history .

We are now docked in Newcastle and we didn’t feel a thing .off to breakfast will write again soon

Julia
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Jul 2019 10:22

Thanks for your comments, Julia - I'm sure we all wish we were with you on this ship! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Spirit of Discovery

Postby grannyM » 12 Jul 2019 10:40

Glad you are impressed with this nice, new, shiny ship Julia. Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise as much and looking forward to seeing more about it from you. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Borneo » 12 Jul 2019 16:34

Today is first stop Newcastle. Sun is shining went for a walk .

One thing some may find a problem is the grill , but I call it veranda it’s very easy to forget where you were sitting once you’ve got your food from the Buffett all corners and little places it’s easy to forget .

Standard cabins are good overall I don’t think as big as Sapphire, but enough space . Plenty of 3 pin plugs and even a usb plug by the bedside light.
We are in a twin as we like a separate bed, they were just as I like it, two twins pushed together, with a huge duvet big enough that your not fitting over it. Only thing I’ve heard complaints about is the size of the fridge. It’s a narrow thing , really only for your carton of milk, but you can’t get your bottle of bubbly in. Bathroom and shower are super. Storage space in here for your toilet bag makeup etc.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Borneo » 14 Jul 2019 06:32

Went to the Club Restaurant last night . It was actually by mistake as hubby thought he’d booked east to west :lol: . No complaints at all . Food was brilliant and service.
They now take your orders on a hand held computer, last night was fine but first two nights the waiters struggled and we waited for ever for our food , like cueing from 7.00 to be told no more room go to one of the other restaurants, service so slow for all courses that we didn’t finish till 10.00. Your not allowed entrance to the theatre after it’s started, with about 8 of us ready to start a mutiny, as it wasn’t our fault they let us .

We did expect some things to go wrong so we didn’t complain , though we did tell them about it along with many others .
A lot of the waiters are new so they are on a learning curve.
Trevor the one time matredei ( I know that’s not spelt right even iPad can’t spell it ) now the training manager, to get everyone into ship shape
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Spirit of Discovery

Postby Gillzajoker » 14 Jul 2019 10:43

Always some teething problems on a new ship, but these seem fairly minor considering your overall opinion of the ship :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Spirit of Discovery

Postby Arizona » 14 Jul 2019 14:42

Thanks for finding time to tell us about the new ship. It certainly looks amazing. Obviously there are bound to be teething troubles on a brand new ship but let’s hope things settle down quickly. Interestingly for all those who remember the old Saga Spirit of Adventure (now renamed Berlin) with great fondness, I see it was also in Kirkwall today.
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next