Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A-Rosa Donna

A-Rosa Donna

A-Rosa Donna

Postby Marrob 33 » 15 Aug 2019 21:05

We found our river cruise when we saw a Shearings catalogue, advertising Highlights of the Danube. We were picked up at our door and taken to Northampton Services where we joined the coach to Hythe.
Originally we were crossing via the channel Tunnel, but we caught the ferry. Overnight stays at Belgium and Germany had been included in the cost of the holiday. There were 20 in the group, so people were able to spread themselves round the coach. When we stopped at services, our driver made hot drinks for us, so we didn't have to spend ages in a queue. There were great sweeps of trees on both sides of the motorways, which accounted for the freshness in the air, instead of flat uninteresting landscapes.
When we reached Austria, we made our way to Engelhartszell to embark the Donna. All the ladies were given a deep red rose, a reminder of the large rose which decorated the boat's hull.

Meals were buffet style, with hot and cold choices, to cater for most guests. Free drinks were also included; there were two bars, so between them there was always one open for alcoholic and soft drinks, or tea or coffee.
The itinerary stops were at Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Melk and back to our starting port. Most of the guests were German but the crew spoke good English.

Unfortunately the excursions we had chosen did not have sufficient people interested to make them viable. The boat also had excursions which were available for us, but as they would have been with German guides, we did not bother. instead we went on the included city tours and wandered around on our own. There were some beautiful buildings, and some were painted and decorated in keeping with the different architectural styles. we went through quite a number of locks, some during the night so we were unaware of them.

I had a bit of an upset tummy and I remembered an old remedy which was to have equal measures of red port and brandy, to sip. The drinks were in optics, so the measures were generous. When I explained I wanted the two drinks mixed, the crew member asked if he could taste, used a straw to take a little. He coughed, saying "very strong"

On our return we disembarked and boarded our coach. The first noght we stayed at Limburg before continuing the next day into Belgium. We were close to the French border for our second overnight hotel. All four were clean and comfortable,although each had its own style. Back at Calais, we passed through both French and English Customs. The English one took longer, because there were only two desks open.

We made good time and caught an early ferry, and started making our way north, saying goodbye to people we had made friends with. When we arrived at our Service drop off point we found the taxi had not arrived. Numerous calls by our driver to his office resulted in learning the taxi had been directed to the wrong place, but after a considerable wait, we finally had our taxi and we were back home.
Marrob 33
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

A-Rosa Donna

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Aug 2019 10:29

Interesting and informative, Marie. Apart from the glitches, glad you had a good time :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

A-Rosa Donna

Postby grannyM » 16 Aug 2019 10:45

Thanks for sharing your, mostly positive, experiences on A-Rosa Donna cruise and stay holiday Marie. So glad you enjoyed. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

A-Rosa Donna

Postby judgegeoff » 16 Aug 2019 14:23

Many thanks for sharing your experiences of your cruise with us Marie. :thumbup:
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: A-Rosa Donna

Postby Marrob 33 » 16 Aug 2019 21:58

Thanks for all the comments. My husband and I both felt that having the driver we did counted in the enjoyment. It's not a job I would ever want, and the attitude of a few of the group made us wonder how many people stop to think about the person who has the responsibility for all his passengers. Some would say it's his job and he gets paid to do it. But a driver is not a robot, and part of his job includes paperwork, keeping to various speed limits, assessing his driving hours to fit the directives imposed. When a thoughtless remark is made to a driver, he is not allowed to retaliate, as he'd be disciplined if reported to his employer. It must cause some reaction and must be frustrating. Yet he is expected to be able to take it, and still maintain concentration while behind the wheel. A little consideration goes a long way. Hopefully there are not too many thoughtless folk about Excuse me for going on .
Marrob 33
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 17 Aug 2019 00:31

Marrob 33 wrote:Thanks for all the comments. My husband and I both felt that having the driver we did counted in the enjoyment. It's not a job I would ever want, and the attitude of a few of the group made us wonder how many people stop to think about the person who has the responsibility for all his passengers. Some would say it's his job and he gets paid to do it. But a driver is not a robot, and part of his job includes paperwork, keeping to various speed limits, assessing his driving hours to fit the directives imposed. When a thoughtless remark is made to a driver, he is not allowed to retaliate, as he'd be disciplined if reported to his employer. It must cause some reaction and must be frustrating. Yet he is expected to be able to take it, and still maintain concentration while behind the wheel. A little consideration goes a long way. Hopefully there are not too many thoughtless folk about Excuse me for going on .

No excuse needed at all Marie, you make some very valid points. We should all stop and think before making certain remarks. Chris and I once visited Disneyland Paris by coach and, whilst there, the travel company (Fred Pontin's Mouse Tours!!!!!) went into liquidisation. The travel guide and the two drivers had no idea if they would even get paid, but went out of their way to ensure that us passengers were inconvenienced as little as possible. But a few passengers were very thoughtless and unappreciative of their efforts.

When I was a small child I really wanted to be a coach driver when I grew up!
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 17 Aug 2019 08:58

Sounds a lovely holiday despite the glitches. Thanks for sharing with us.
Future Cruises - Canaries, Europe, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Other lines