Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Sep 2019 10:48

Thanks for the updates, Marie. Oh dear, what an unfortunate incident with the lift!
Things don't seem to be going to plan at all for them, sadly. Sorry, can't help with
the Crete question - 45 years since I was there. Please pass on my best wishes for
a pleasant and stress-free rest of cruise. :D
Image
User avatar
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 15054
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 17:07
Location: Costa Almeria, Spain
National Flag:
Spain

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby Arizona » 12 Sep 2019 14:30

So sorry to hear that things have been challenging for you. Some years ago we were moored in Souda Bay with Saga and had a delightful morning in the nearby town of Chania. It’s an old Venetian town with a lovely waterfront. I can’t recall how wheelchair friendly it may be but we certainly enjoyed strolling round the harbour with its many pavement cafes. On return to the ship we also enjoyed sitting on deck viewing the activity in Souda Bay, which was (still is?) a large international naval base with ships ranging from the US Enterprise aircraft carrier to submarines in port. At that time there were no cruise ship terminal facilities there though.
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant
 
Posts: 54
Joined: 15 Jan 2014 01:02
Location: Herts
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby khkate » 12 Sep 2019 16:16

Marie,

I've just looked at the Whatinpost website. The port they are going into is called Soudha - not much there as mainly a naval base but very scenic. There is a destination video and it did look like there were flat areas but not much to see. The nearest big town is Chania about 6kms from where the ship docks. They do run buses - I know that's not much use to Glynis, but she might be able to source an accessible taxi. Chania itself is lovely but hilly. However, if they can get to the promenade area of the town - this is broad and flat and very scenic - we were on holiday there many years ago. They may be able to walk along it as far as the old lighthouse. I hope that proves to be of help, but may not be enough time for her to sort anything.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3444
Joined: 03 May 2013 20:30
Location: UK

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby grannyM » 12 Sep 2019 16:40

Arizona wrote:So sorry to hear that things have been challenging for you. Some years ago we were moored in Souda Bay with Saga and had a delightful morning in the nearby town of Chania. It’s an old Venetian town with a lovely waterfront. I can’t recall how wheelchair friendly it may be but we certainly enjoyed strolling round the harbour with its many pavement cafes. On return to the ship we also enjoyed sitting on deck viewing the activity in Souda Bay, which was (still is?) a large international naval base with ships ranging from the US Enterprise aircraft carrier to submarines in port. At that time there were no cruise ship terminal facilities there though.


Thank you very much will pass it on. :thumbup:
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17591
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby grannyM » 12 Sep 2019 16:42

khkate wrote:Marie,

I've just looked at the Whatinpost website. The port they are going into is called Soudha - not much there as mainly a naval base but very scenic. There is a destination video and it did look like there were flat areas but not much to see. The nearest big town is Chania about 6kms from where the ship docks. They do run buses - I know that's not much use to Glynis, but she might be able to source an accessible taxi. Chania itself is lovely but hilly. However, if they can get to the promenade area of the town - this is broad and flat and very scenic - we were on holiday there many years ago. They may be able to walk along it as far as the old lighthouse. I hope that proves to be of help, but may not be enough time for her to sort anything.


Thank you Lesley. I will send a text straight away and pass it on. Hopefully Glynis will still have phone signal before leaving Santorini tonight. :thumbup:
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17591
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby khkate » 12 Sep 2019 16:43

There is also a war cemetery at soudha bay and it is wheelchair accessible, but I'm not sure where it is in relation to where the ship docks.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Oct 2019, Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3444
Joined: 03 May 2013 20:30
Location: UK

Re: Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby grannyM » 12 Sep 2019 17:10

khkate wrote:There is also a war cemetery at soudha bay and it is wheelchair accessible, but I'm not sure where it is in relation to where the ship docks.


Texted everything including this. Fingers crossed any of it helps them tomorrow to at least get off the ship. :)
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17591
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Sep 2019 10:46

You're a star, Marie - you are so helpful to everyone on this Forum, we are lucky to have you! :D
Image
User avatar
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 15054
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 17:07
Location: Costa Almeria, Spain
National Flag:
Spain

Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby grannyM » 13 Sep 2019 10:59

Gillzajoker wrote:You're a star, Marie - you are so helpful to everyone on this Forum, we are lucky to have you! :D


:lol: Thank you Gill :oops:
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17591
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Glynis and Andy on P&O Azura/Mediterranean cruise 2019

Postby grannyM » 13 Sep 2019 11:06

Text from Glynis 12th September, 19.57 (our time) in reply to information and good wishes copied from the Forum posts

Thank you Marie, please let others know that it helps a lot.

We begin our way back on Saturday after port visit (Katakolon) then due back S'ton a week later.
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17591
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 12:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to P&O



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron