Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

Re: S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

Postby newmember » 06 Oct 2019 12:41

I am sure that you will both have enjoyable holidays (2021 and in 10 days respectively).
Do bear in mind that checking and proof-reading is not a strong point for Saga head office, and if you pre-cruise excursion booklet is anything like the one we received, the times and timings may not be right - our booklet gave times for different tours ranging from 08:30 to 12:00, 09:30 to 12:30, 09:30 to 14:00, and all were described as "3 hours". The details on MySaga (which should match "Manage My Booking") are more accurate. That is, if you can get into it - IT is not a strong point for Saga anyway.
But you can expect the cruise itself to be very comfortable and the food excellent - food is a very strong point with Saga cruises.
newmember

Postby Arizona » 06 Oct 2019 12:56

No problems with MySaga so far, despite making a late booking. In fact it has worked really well. The cruise book was very impressive at first sight.....until the binding completely fell to pieces within hours. We are really looking forward to exploring the new ship and our expectations have been adjusted accordingly!
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 12 Oct 2019 16:27

Arizona wrote:Having cruised with Saga over the years, we always really enjoyed the atmosphere onboard, particularly in the days of the old Spirit of Adventure with the legendary Neil Horrocks as cruise director. Even though the ship was not the most luxurious, spontaneity and fun were never in short supply. The entertainment budget was clearly limited but never lacking in creativity and audience involvement.

Reading your review reminded me of our experience on Oceania Marina, a beautiful, spacious ship with amazing food. We enjoyed the cruise but the ambience was that of a luxury hotel, quite soulless. The entertainment was slick but quite anonymous.

After a gap of some years and attracted to try the new ship, we decided to give Saga another go. We will be travelling in 10 days time.

Watch this space!

Ah the good old days of Spirit of Adventure and Neil Horrocks , especially if with Captain Dunlop . :lol:

We were on the inaugural cruise and the Chanel hop after. I sort of understand what is meant by no homely atmosphere, I did feel that a bit . I am hoping when all crew and staff have settled down the ship will feel that way.
Certainly no difference with the wonderful waiting staff once the new waiters had stopped looking like frightened rabbits in the headlights. That took quite a few days for them to be like normal and that was with the help from some of the old hands.
I can only liken it to moving into a new home / house. It all feels different and takes a while for you to settle in, likewise I feel it will take Discovery some time to wrap itself around you and become that happy safe place we’ve been used too.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 13 Oct 2019 16:37

well, I really hope so. The only places that actually felt like Saga were the dining room and reception. Everything else had an air of desperation.
newmember

Previous