Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

Re: S o D - Oh Saga, what have you done...

Postby newmember » 06 Oct 2019 11:41

I am sure that you will both have enjoyable holidays (2021 and in 10 days respectively).
Do bear in mind that checking and proof-reading is not a strong point for Saga head office, and if you pre-cruise excursion booklet is anything like the one we received, the times and timings may not be right - our booklet gave times for different tours ranging from 08:30 to 12:00, 09:30 to 12:30, 09:30 to 14:00, and all were described as "3 hours". The details on MySaga (which should match "Manage My Booking") are more accurate. That is, if you can get into it - IT is not a strong point for Saga anyway.
But you can expect the cruise itself to be very comfortable and the food excellent - food is a very strong point with Saga cruises.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 06 Oct 2019 11:56

No problems with MySaga so far, despite making a late booking. In fact it has worked really well. The cruise book was very impressive at first sight.....until the binding completely fell to pieces within hours. We are really looking forward to exploring the new ship and our expectations have been adjusted accordingly!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 12 Oct 2019 15:27

Arizona wrote:Having cruised with Saga over the years, we always really enjoyed the atmosphere onboard, particularly in the days of the old Spirit of Adventure with the legendary Neil Horrocks as cruise director. Even though the ship was not the most luxurious, spontaneity and fun were never in short supply. The entertainment budget was clearly limited but never lacking in creativity and audience involvement.

Reading your review reminded me of our experience on Oceania Marina, a beautiful, spacious ship with amazing food. We enjoyed the cruise but the ambience was that of a luxury hotel, quite soulless. The entertainment was slick but quite anonymous.

After a gap of some years and attracted to try the new ship, we decided to give Saga another go. We will be travelling in 10 days time.

Watch this space!

Ah the good old days of Spirit of Adventure and Neil Horrocks , especially if with Captain Dunlop . :lol:

We were on the inaugural cruise and the Chanel hop after. I sort of understand what is meant by no homely atmosphere, I did feel that a bit . I am hoping when all crew and staff have settled down the ship will feel that way.
Certainly no difference with the wonderful waiting staff once the new waiters had stopped looking like frightened rabbits in the headlights. That took quite a few days for them to be like normal and that was with the help from some of the old hands.
I can only liken it to moving into a new home / house. It all feels different and takes a while for you to settle in, likewise I feel it will take Discovery some time to wrap itself around you and become that happy safe place we’ve been used too.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 13 Oct 2019 15:37

well, I really hope so. The only places that actually felt like Saga were the dining room and reception. Everything else had an air of desperation.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby khkate » 22 Oct 2019 17:02

We came of SoD last week and have to say we loved her. Yes, there are teething issues - and i hope Saga learn from comments and criticisms being currently voiced by passengers. The Saga atmosphere is beginning to develop and they are slowly changing systems to bring in some of the old ambience. There are some of the "old" crew coming on to the ship for the first time, having been on leave since pearl went out of service. Signage around the ship is sometimes confusing as Saga did all the deck plans in the brochure as lettered decks and the lifts with numbered decks, but this is being changed.

We found plenty of places to relax and either be on our own or with others. I admit Saga have taken a big gamble with increasing passengers numbers to almost 1000 - escially as Pearl only took 450 and Sapphire takes 720.

one of the biggest failings for us was the lack of drawer storage space within the cabin. Considering Saga had a blank page for designing the cabin and its layout, they are providing relatively huge cabins all with balconies as standard, but the amount of storage is a bit of a joke, especially for when they start doing the longer cruises.

however, the ship is getting there, although the intimacy of the smaller ships will never be regained.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Camela » 22 Oct 2019 18:07

Any new ship has teething troubles so it looks like Saga are doing something about them from your experience. You'll be the expert on her with all the cruises you have booked! Half of me would like to go on a new ship, the other half says wait till it's bedded in a while.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 22 Oct 2019 18:57

Camela wrote:Any new ship has teething troubles so it looks like Saga are doing something about them from your experience. You'll be the expert on her with all the cruises you have booked! Half of me would like to go on a new ship, the other half says wait till it's bedded in a while.

When Sapphire joined the fleet, we waited at least 18 months before we sailed on her, to let the teething problems settle. We had the same plan for this ship, but with H really struggling to cope with Sapphire in May, we had to make some decisions, and this meant that we had to switch to the new ships earlier!

Thankfully, h copes with the layout of the new ship much better, so a wise decision. The ship certainly doesn't have any technical issues like Sapphire had when she started, it's just the lack of atmosphere and Saga trying to change their image too much. They are trying to make their cruises more attractive to the younger end of their age range - but as those who are just reaching 50 are less likely to be able to afford their fares, its a struggle. And do they want to alienate their older and loyal customers - sometimes one does wonder!
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby newmember » 23 Oct 2019 14:50

Good to know that they may be linking the deck letters with the deck numbers. Currently passengers only have documentation, swipe cards and luggage tags stating a letter (E,D etc) but no deck number, whereas the ship and crew work on numbers (7,8 etc) . There was actually a shouting match in our embarkation lift, between the crew member asking what deck and a passenger answering with the letter. The crew member kept saying "what Number", the passenger was saying "I don't b****y know, it's deck C", and it was getting fairly heated.
The actual ship is very easy to get around, and honestly embarkation would be much better handled with crew members helping those who wanted help, and people who did not need help being allowed to go to the cabin themselves.
Still, some things are better (in our minds, anyway) - much prefer the way that excursions collect their numbers at the gangway, rather than having to wait in the lounge - and there was a very smiley crew member handing out water to all who approached.
We are back on board later this year, we are going with much lower expectations and hopefully will not feel so disappointed. At least we know the bed is comfortable and the food is still top-notch.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby khkate » 24 Oct 2019 14:40

Although we didn't have any excursions booked with Saga - i do agree that the revised system for getting "stickered" at the gangway is much better. They seemed to get the trips off pretty quickly, considering they are dealing with a higher number of passengers.
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous