Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Postby Arizona » 11 Feb 2020 13:58

The arrival time is now given as 6.30 and the departure at 22.30 so hopefully there will be time to deep clean the ship. It must be pretty miserable onboard right now with so many people unwell and the sea conditions looking grim too. After so many days at sea, dry land will be very welcome tomorrow!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Postby newmember » 11 Feb 2020 14:41

Apparently Saga have today confirmed is now 117 cases of Norovirus on board.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Gillzajoker » 12 Feb 2020 13:49

Sad to hear that, and also your cruise ended on a sad note, Ruth.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby rdw123 » 12 Feb 2020 15:59

Gillzajoker wrote:Sad to hear that, and also your cruise ended on a sad note, Ruth.

Thanks Gill. It was lovely up until a week or so ago. Didn’t help that I had a chest infection and then the noro virus. Conditions have been a bit grim the last 2 days. Storm force 10 late yesterday and most areas closed. You could apparently get a drink at one of the bars but that was all, I just wanted was my bed. All shows etc were cancelled and things screened onto the television. Not too impressed by the medical team. I was promised a visit by the doctor perhaps later that evening, this was 9am 2 days ago.I am still waiting as I was told they were very busy. Great difficulty getting through to room service to get a bowl of clear soup and some water. Apart from that no one came near or even phoned. Duty of care was wanting badly I had expected better of Saga. It has made me think twice about my next cruise. Perhaps I may think differently when I am back on my feet again and managed to have some food as I have not really eaten for 4 days. As you say ending on a sad note which was a shame.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby rdw123 » 12 Feb 2020 16:00

newmember wrote:Apparently Saga have today confirmed is now 117 cases of Norovirus on board.

Think that could be an underestimate.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby rdw123 » 12 Feb 2020 16:03

Arizona wrote:The arrival time is now given as 6.30 and the departure at 22.30 so hopefully there will be time to deep clean the ship. It must be pretty miserable onboard right now with so many people unwell and the sea conditions looking grim too. After so many days at sea, dry land will be very welcome tomorrow!

When I got off at 8 the all aboard time was given as 10.pm for a 11 pm sail. Hope my bed doesn’t move tonight although the bathroom floor is still moving!
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby newmember » 12 Feb 2020 16:32

I do hope that you feel better soon.
There was a bad chest infection going around the ship during the New York cruise - many people ended up on antibiotics. I hope it was not the same one still lurking to get you.
Incidentally, I saw elsewhere a (totally unverified) report that it was close to 400 people ill with Norovirus - I have no idea how accurate it is, but as the verified reports say there were 89 then shortly after it was 117, did not sound as if it was very well contained.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby grannyM » 12 Feb 2020 17:17

Oh dear! Ruth, you have been through the mill. You'll be so glad to be home at last. Hope you feel better soon. :(
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Arizona » 12 Feb 2020 17:56

So glad to hear you are safely home but really concerned to hear what happened. One of the main problems with norovirus is dehydration so the fact that no one checked on you for 2 days and you had difficulty getting hold of liquids is really worrying, especially as you were on your own and the sea conditions were so bad. Whatever else we may find fault with on Saga, it is not usually duty of care. Given that there are many people on their own in single cabins, some of them not very mobile or in the best of health anyway, Saga need to put in place a policy to deal with situations like this and ensure there is not this level of neglect.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Arizona » 12 Feb 2020 18:05

Another concerning issue for people feeling very unwell on SoD, especially when the ship is rolling around in a gale, is that in standard cabins the phone is not near the bed but on the wall by the bathroom. For some people it could be very difficult to summon help or even try to contact room service. Let’s hope this is one of the features they change on the new ship.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext