Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Walking the world, without leaving home!

Walking the world, without leaving home!

Postby Gillzajoker » 20 May 2020 08:59

A much better walk - I love those photos! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 20 May 2020 11:51

Day 3 of my treadmill trek around the coast of Arran took me from near Lagg, where there's supposed to be a brand new distillery (but I couldn't find it), to a spot directly opposite Holy Isle - a couple of miles past Whiting Bay.

The weather today was overcast with occasional rain and very few photo opportunities. The main landmark - Holy Isle - came into view after about 7 miles and was visible for the rest of the walk. Apparently, Holy Isle is a Buddhist retreat and a nature reserve:

By the magic of Google, I took a small ferry across to the island, jogged up to the trig point, grabbed a quick image of Arran, retraced my steps and continued the walk...

What a view! :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 May 2020 09:53

Wonderful scenery. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Walking the world, without leaving home!

Postby Camela » 21 May 2020 16:58

Dave! I laughed out loud at your google ferry boat ride :lol:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 23 May 2020 13:34

Day 4 of my treadmill trek around the Isle of Arran coast took me from opposite Holy Isle to a point due east of Goatfell, which at 2,867 ft is the highest peak on Arran. The mountain looks magnificent and was in view for much of my walk up the east coast:

My first view of the Arran mountains from just before the village of Brodick (which easily looked big enough to be a town!). I'm fairly sure that Goatfell is the pointy one towards the right:

Another view of Goatfell, this time from the ferry port in Brodick. After the sparsely populated west and south coastal areas, the east coast between Lamlash and Brodick felt very built-up and not unlike well-to-do villages almost anywhere in the UK.

As I progressed along the east coast, I started to admire the rhododendrons. Then I began to think there were a surprising number of them. Eventually, I decided that Arran really does have a rhododendron problem!

This is where I ended today's walk - with another view of Goatfell... and rhododendrons. :)

Just one more day and I'll be back in Lochranza where I started.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 May 2020 08:56

Amazing display, but I believe that particular 'wild' rhododendron is considered a problem
throughout the country. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous