Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - 3 Azamara ships in Glasgow

3 Azamara ships in Glasgow

Postby grannyM » 29 Jun 2020 17:30

Three Azamar cruise ships made their way separately last week from Greenock up the River Clyde to arrive at King George V dock in Glasgow. There are quite a few youtube videos showing the great excitement of those who watched from land on either side of the river. :D

This from Glasgow Times newspaper:
A third cruise ship has caught the attention of those near the Clyde as it made its way up the river to dock near Govan today.

The Azamara Journey has joined its sister vessels, the Azamara Pursuit and Azamara Quest, at King George V Dock.

Crowds gathered along the Clyde walkway west from the dock awaiting the ship, with some ship enthusiasts waiting to see it for more than two hours.

Usually able to board more than 700 passengers, the ship was unusually empty as it approached Glasgow with only essential crew members aboard its decks

click to enlarge this photo from social media
Azamara.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Jun 2020 09:37

A great photo, Marie, but sad to see them 'grounded' :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 01 Jul 2020 09:12

Gillzajoker wrote:A great photo, Marie, but sad to see them 'grounded' :D

It is indeed but at least they have a berth Gill. For some weeks they had been anchored off Greenock on the Clyde which has a cruise terminal (near Glasgow and other areas of interest for excursions). Inverclyde is the local authority and did not give permission for the ships to actually dock due the fear of crews perhaps leaving the ships to go into the town during their stay at this time. Inverclyde already has a high number of Covid19 cases in the district.

It was quite a sight for local residents along the river and any of the footage filmed on people's phones show how exciting it was for them, especially the children. Unfortunately most of them have lots of loud interference from background noise so couldn't actually find one I thought suitable. Will have another look today Gill. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: 3 Azamara ships in Glasgow

Postby Camela » 01 Jul 2020 21:23

I thought I'd seen them moored elsewhere, you've explained it Marie.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England