Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Carnival Liberty Pulls out of Dominica for Next Two Weeks

Carnival Liberty Pulls out of Dominica for Next Two Weeks

Postby Wansbrough » 26 Apr 2015 12:39

Spotted this story while doing the rounds..

In a statement this past week, the Tourism Minister indicated that because a number of tours were being sold onshore at significantly lower prices by independent operators, the ship's tour revenues were going down and visits to other islands were deemed to be more lucrative to cruise lines.

Tonge said that the government was moving to address the issue.

“If this practice is not controlled immediately, we are destined to witness other ships moving towards what they consider to be more profitable ports,” the Tourism Minister is quoted as saying.

Isn't this the case all over the world? Why should this particular port be any different?

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Carnival Liberty Pulls out of Dominica for Next Two Weeks

Postby tomvet » 26 Apr 2015 13:18

You are correct Mike and Dominica remains one of our favourite ports of call where we had a wonderful day hiking with Javin from Bumpiing Tours!
My experience of Caribbean ports is that tour operators provide excellent value tours for individuals, couples and families on a seat in coach basis whereas in Europe such value can only be got if you manage to get a group of 8-10 to share the cost i.e. charter the vehicle!
Carnival have form - they pulled out from Dominica before. On our Carnival Victory cruise we had 7 ports in 7 days. Victory did the itinerary ex San Juan year round before it was replaced by Valor. Shortly after we cruised, Dominica was dropped from the itinerary and replaced with a sea day!

I am not sure what the Tourism Minister is going to do! State subsidy for the operators? Ban them? Force them to charge more? Restrict their access to the port area making them difficult to find by the punters on the ship!

In EU this could never happen as it would be anti-competitive!

Having said all that, Dominica after the ship docked was heaving with the local operators and taxi drivers doing a very brisk business!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 26 Apr 2015 14:35

Wansbrough wrote:Spotted this story while doing the rounds..

In a statement this past week, the Tourism Minister indicated that because a number of tours were being sold onshore at significantly lower prices by independent operators, the ship's tour revenues were going down and visits to other islands were deemed to be more lucrative to cruise lines.

“If this practice is not controlled immediately, we are destined to witness other ships moving towards what they consider to be more profitable ports,” the Tourism Minister is quoted as saying.

Isn't this the case all over the world? Why should this particular port be any different?

Have I got this right? It seems that Carnival are telling customers that they're boycotting Dominica because customers can get cheap tours there, and Carnival doesn't want customers to get cheap tours because they want to make money by selling them expensive tours.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 26 Apr 2015 15:25

Dave wrote:

Have I got this right? It seems that Carnival are telling customers that they're boycotting Dominica because customers can get cheap tours there, and Carnival doesn't want customers to get cheap tours because they want to make money by selling them expensive tours.

If this is true it's preposterous - mega global company apparently trying to deny local people doing their best in their own country to earn a living. :crazy:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 26 Apr 2015 16:12

What next? Perhaps cruise lines will implement a minimum spend required on board. :shock:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Wansbrough » 26 Apr 2015 19:23

Dave wrote:

Or is the Tourism Minister making a smoke screen to hide the truth??? Like I said there is probably more to it than meets the eye.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 26 Apr 2015 19:58

Mmmmm! I wonder if you are right W. All the Caribbean islands offer great value tours by locals so why should Dominica be any different?

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Return to Carnival