Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MSC Yacht Club

MSC Yacht Club

MSC Yacht Club

Postby Skier Pete » 09 Feb 2013 00:50

This Is The Life

Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

MSC Yacht Club

Postby Dave » 10 Feb 2013 11:26

Hi Pete

I know you're a fan of MSC's Yacht Club so perhaps you can share some of your expertise. I know I've knocked the idea of 'a ship within a ship' before but I'm always happy to change my mind!

Big ships don't impress me much, but I do like the idea of exclusivity as shown in the video. I also like the look of the luxurious setting very much but I don't like people bowing and scraping (well, perhaps a bit!).

I'm not the sort to arrive at the port wearing a suit (even without a tie), but I'm happy to be greeted and shown to my cabin. I really don't want someone to carry my rucksack for me, neither would I want someone unpacking my suitcase (that's Fred's job ;) ). When these things happen though, is a tip expected?

Are tables-for-two widely available in the Yacht Club restaurant?

Have you found that you spend most of your time in the Yacht Club area? (Sunbathing, bars, etc.)

I suppose what I'm asking is whether someone who prefers the peace and quiet and intimacy of a small ship would find the Yacht Club to their liking. Thanks.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: MSC Yacht Club

Postby Skier Pete » 10 Feb 2013 12:42

In answer to your questions and some questions which I think are implied

1) dress code is not an issue but personally I dressed in smart casual exceopt for Gala nights when i do the whole DJ thing.

2)The Butlers only do what you want them to do so if you don't want your rucksack carried No problem, and we didn't want our things to be packed or unpacked. That is a service that you request rather than being automatic. the level of service is extremely good and discreet, not at all "in your face" or "bowing and scapping"

3) MSC operate an automatic daily "service charge" and as such no extra tipping is expected ( i did give extra tips to some of the staff as I tend to believe that on MSC ,at least, the service charge is just part of the cruise fare, they did deserve it in my opinion). Their prices tend to be very attractive and recently they have had some astounding offers for YC accomodation

4) there were plenty of tables for two in the restaurant, though I'm not sure how good MSC are at vegetarianism/veganism. Their blurb says that do have special diets to cater for all requirements , but that may need a bit of work to ensure that it is requested at the time of booking and when you first meet the maitre D'

5) other than going ashore and to the theatre we stayed almost exclusively in the Yatch club ( with the odd foray to take some photos and on board shops). In fact you tend to be confined to the YC by virtue of the AI only works in YC venues not in other bars etc. But the choice of drinks is wide. The exclusive area at the front of the ship was brilliant even on the rainy days we had.

The only slight drawback is the children in the YC at school holiday times, but on the whole the majority were very well behaved, i'm sorry to say what little bad behaviour there was on our cruise came from two , Dare i say it , French families, (Sorry Fred)

Hope this is the inslght you were after.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

MSC Yacht Club

Postby Dave » 10 Feb 2013 14:03

Thanks Pete. I'm already assuming we're going to like Costa this summer so I'm thinking ahead! MSC are certainly a possibility and I have been taking note of your praise for them (even if I do make the occasional dig!). :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom