Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Never say never! I do!

Never say never! I do!

Never say never! I do!

Postby avid » 15 Mar 2021 01:54

Always said that I would never cruise on a big ship but September 2019 I did.

I did a 2 week cruise on Britannia around the Med.

I only chose the ship because it was one that my husband and I had not been on and the itinerary was ports that we had already visited together. I lost my husband 2 years ago in March 2019.

After booking on impulse, just a few weeks prior to sailing, I wished that anyone would tell me that I didn't have to go. However, the longer I left it before trying a solo cruise then I would probably have never taken the plunge.

I was looking to cruise again in early 2020 and then Covid came visiting. I hope that when we can all cruise again that my confidence will return and I will be on board again soon.

What did I think of my cruise on Britannia? All that I expected but not for me.

I won't write a review as I know many love the bigger ships. I'll just add it as an experience I don't wish to repeat any time soon.

Regards

Diva
avid

Never say never! I do!

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Mar 2021 07:37

Hi Avid, welcome to our friendly forum.

I too tend to prefer the smaller ships, although I have enjoyed many cruises on the larger ships. We would be very interested if you would post a review, even if you didn't find the ship to your liking, it is always interesting to hear somebody else's opinions and experience.

My wife and I were planning to go on a very small ship cruise this year - a 16 cabin motor yacht cruising the Dalmatian coast, but this awful pandemic has put our plans on hold. The yacht sails from port to port, stopping occasionally in a sheltered bay for guests to go swimming and snorkelling. Each late afternoon the yacht moors in a harbour and stays overnight, allowing guests to sample local cuisine and culture. Hopefully, we will be able to do this kind of cruise next year.

A typical Dalmatian coast yacht.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Never say never! I do!

Postby rdw123 » 15 Mar 2021 11:07

avid wrote:Always said that I would never cruise on a big ship but September 2019 I did.

I did a 2 week cruise on Britannia around the Med.

I only chose the ship because it was one that my husband and I had not been on and the itinerary was ports that we had already visited together. I lost my husband 2 years ago in March 2019.

After booking on impulse, just a few weeks prior to sailing, I wished that anyone would tell me that I didn't have to go. However, the longer I left it before trying a solo cruise then I would probably have never taken the plunge.

I was looking to cruise again in early 2020 and then Covid came visiting. I hope that when we can all cruise again that my confidence will return and I will be on board again soon.

What did I think of my cruise on Britannia? All that I expected but not

I won't write a review as I know many love the bigger ships. I'll just add it as an experience I don't wish to repeat any time soon.

Regards

Diva

Glad that you plucked up the courage to go on your own. My husband died in 2016 and I have done several cruises on my own since. Large boats like that are not for me either. I cruise with Saga and find them excellent if you are on your own. Everything taken care of and no worries about getting to the boat. I have had one foray into F.O. and would not sail with them again. Just my personal opinion, not a patch on Saga. Carry on cruising when all this uncertainty is over, life is too short. Happy travels.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Never say never! I do!

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Mar 2021 13:06

I, too, prefer smaller ships, but as I am destination driven, whatever ship is going where I want
to go, will suffice. I have done over 30 cruises, some with friends when they were available,
and 10 solo, and enjoyed them all. I have been on almost all of the 'mainstream' cruise lines,
(can't afford the 'posh' ones, especially when solo) and have always made friends, some very
long-standing. So I hope you WILL continue to cruise, as and when the opportunity arises. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Never say never! I do!

Postby Camela » 16 Mar 2021 17:22

Good to see you again avid! I think one has to respect every different view about ships and cruise lines, it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing. No point taking the attitude of, if you don't like 'my' favourite line I don't like you!!
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Return to P&O