Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Postby arkangel » 20 Oct 2011 12:34

Everyone who registers with Cruising Mates agrees to be bound by the following rules:

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “cruisingmates.co.uk” is hosted or International Law.

I didn't write that - the rules are generic and were created automatically when the forum was installed.

I'm not a fan of rules; I much prefer to believe that people will naturally behave with courtesy and consideration towards others and, above all, will seek to make this forum a comfortable and pleasant place to visit. As I write, Cruising Mates Forum has been in existence for nearly eight months, and it's to everyone's credit that we've established an ethos which is exactly that.

Having been a member of various forums, both cruising and non-cruising, I'm well aware that 'niceness' isn't everyone's cup of tea. Being nice doesn't mean we can't have robust debates; it simply means that we won't make personal remarks about each other.

Some Cruising Mates' members are also members of other forums, any of which may well have a different ethos and tone to ours. We might not always like that ethos, but we have no control over what they deem acceptable behaviour from their members. On occasion, a Cruising Mates member might be referred to by name (or by pseudonym) on another forum about what they have posted on Cruising Mates. It is very important that we do not respond in a similar fashion here.

Therefore, I would like to make it clear that it's not part of our ethos to post personal remarks about members of other forums either.

This doesn't mean that we can't comment in general terms about the things we read elsewhere - of course we can, because we're here to talk. I'm simply asking that we afford members of other forums the same courtesy that we afford our own members.

Should you find that you've been subjected to unreasonable behaviour from someone on another forum I believe the best course of action is to approach the administrators of that forum directly. To respond in kind on either that forum or on this one is to risk further unpleasantness.

The bottom line is this: Cruising Mates Forum appeals to a special kind of person - one who shows respect for others - and so I respectfully ask that we all abide by this Forum Rule for the benefit of us all.

Thanks! :)

Rule added 10th May 2015: Members must not encourage the clicking of the ads inserted on forum pages by third parties. Neither should members click those ads unless they are genuinely interested in following the link.
(Dave)
arkangel
Administrator
Administrator

National Flag:
United Nations

Re: Forum Rules

Postby RobBar » 21 Oct 2011 01:04

It applies in any forum regardless and in fact in any cyber place.
Cheers
Last edited by RobBar on 27 Oct 2011 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
RobBar

Postby grannyM » 21 Oct 2011 09:44

Rob Victoria wrote:It applies in any forum regardless and in fact in any cyper place.
Cheers

Yes Rob, but not often adhered to. Hopfully we can make sure that Cruising Mates members do. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Jimmy the One » 21 Oct 2011 12:51

Well said and written Dave.I do know you have been the centre of attention by a member of another forum as I have very recently by the same person.The owners and administrators of the said forum should be aware of the legal redress to the copying of posts and comments made which are taken out of context with the intent to portray a person in the worst possible light.
Jim the Jock and proud of it
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby RobBar » 21 Oct 2011 23:23

grannyM wrote:
Rob Victoria wrote:It applies in any forum regardless and in fact in any cyper place.
Cheers

Yes Rob, but not often adhered to. Hopfully we can make sure that Cruising Mates members do. :)

True but does that mean we will act like Daves's favourite security folks as in Homeland Security or appoint selfrightous board moderators? :oops: :mrgreen:
RobBar

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2011 00:21

Rob Victoria wrote:
grannyM wrote:
Cheers

True but does that mean we will act like Daves's favourite security folks as in Homeland Security or appoint selfrightous board moderators? :oops: :mrgreen:

I don't think so Rob. I think a bad atmosphere on a forum is usually a result of mob behaviour and a lack of any kind of moderation. Good moderation isn't about security, troll-hunting, or self-righteousness - it's about reminding people of what's in the best interest of members. 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 22 Oct 2011 20:11

Rob Victoria wrote:
Cheers

True but does that mean we will act like Daves's favourite security folks as in Homeland Security or appoint selfrightous board moderators? :oops: :mrgreen:[/quote]
Per Dave, I don't think so Rob. I think a bad atmosphere on a forum is usually a result of mob behaviour and a lack of any kind of moderation. Good moderation isn't about security, troll-hunting, or self-righteousness - it's about reminding people of what's in the best interest of members. 8-)[/quote]
Dave,
A good moderator will not embarass the person via a thread post so all can read as they could be wrong. They would send a PM, my view
RobBar

Postby JollyJill » 22 Oct 2011 20:22

Rob Victoria wrote:
Rob Victoria wrote:
Cheers

Per Dave, I don't think so Rob. I think a bad atmosphere on a forum is usually a result of mob behaviour and a lack of any kind of moderation. Good moderation isn't about security, troll-hunting, or self-righteousness - it's about reminding people of what's in the best interest of members. 8-)[/quote]
Dave,
A good moderator will not embarass the person via a thread post so all can read as they could be wrong. They would send a PM, my view[/quote]

Which is what we moderators do Rob.

The moderators asked Dave as Administrator to remind old members and inform new members of the forum rules.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2011 23:41

Rob Victoria wrote:Dave,
A good moderator will not embarass the person via a thread post so all can read as they could be wrong. They would send a PM, my view

Hi Rob

I'd hate to think that I've embarrassed anyone via a post or PM - I do my utmost to treat everyone with respect and if I've embarrassed anyone then I apologise to them.

I believe we're extremely fortunate to have a small group of brilliant moderators. It's a job that involves time and commitment but which offers no rewards (unless you count your name in green as a perk!) other than the knowledge that you're helping members to enjoy the forum. Moderation risks criticism but rarely thanks and I'm extremely grateful to those who've volunteered for the role.

Cruising Mates is a forum that exists not for profit, but for the pleasure of all who visit. The primary aim is, and has always been, to listen to what members want and to try to provide it. I believe that our members do not want antagonism and name-calling and, in view of such being directed at us from another site, I decided to make my position clear in the OP.

A few months back, many of us (including me) were involved in retaliation through posts in a certain topic. The moderators and other members felt that a line should be drawn and so I asked for that topic to be left to die. It wasn't closed, or locked, or deleted, but members took note of the request and moved on. I hoped in this topic to achieve a similar result.

Regards

Dave
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 23 Oct 2011 21:36

Seem to have touched a nerve here which was not my intention in looking at the last two posts. I was simply saying if rules are stated then the method of control should also be stated.
As far as what folks might allude to on one forum vs. another that message can only be understood by a minority who are on this forum so it really does not need to be stated anymore except for good practice of ethics and manners in the virtual world.

In terms of refreshment of Forum Rules it might be a good idea to place it in some manner to apprear as a notice under the signon or saying please read review rules much like your bank when they change the T & C's. As a post it took me awhile to see it buried in the posts.
Cheers
RobBar

Return to Forum Rules