Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Lunch Club - 12th May

Lunch Club - 12th May

Our Featured Agent - Remember to mention Cruising Mates when booking!

Lunch Club - 12th May

Postby khkate » 12 May 2014 19:24

We have just come back from our Cruise Select Lunch Club event and thought I would provide some feedback. The meal was held in the Brooks Room at Flitwick Manor Hotel (near Bedford) and cost £15 each. I have to say that the price was excellent value for money.

We did a trial run to the venue a couple of weeks ago, especially as the last part of the jounrey was unknown to us. That took about 1.25 hours on a Sunday and then on the way back, we went through country lanes, revisiting some old haunts. My brother used to live in Silsoe and I visited him several times by getting a train to Flitwick fro London on the BedPan line. Flitwick station didn't seem to have change much but on our drive through Silsoe and Shillington (another place where my brother used to liv), they have both expanded and changed so much, I recognised little.

Anyway, we left home today at 10.30am and made good time along the A414/A10/A507 going through a couple of heavy showers and arrived at the hotel just before midday. We parked the car and walked round to the hotel entrance. A young man pointed us in the right direction and we went into the Music Room (a lovely lounge area) where we met with Moira and Sharon from Cruise Select and Hayley from All Leisure Group. There were another couple there as well, and others for the meal started arriving soon after us.

We were served with tea and extremely delicious homemade biscuits - and shortly afterwards we were offered flasses of bucks fizz or orange juice. We then went into the Brooks Room for our meal. There was a table plan and place names - three tables with about 7 people on each. We were on table 3 with Hayley and two other couples. The meal was 2 courses - I had soup and chicken (and I was so delighted that my dietary request had been noted). There was also a choice of red or white wine or soft drinks, plus water if required and then afterwards we had tea or coffee with "Cruise Select" chocolates. Once we had all been served with tea, Hayley got up and gave a short presentation on the three cruise lines in the All Leisure Group - MS Discovery (Voyages of Discovery - 564 passengers), Minerva 2 (SWan Hellenic - 350 passengers) and Hebridean Princess (Hebridean Island Cruises - 50 passengers). It was helpful that Hayley had actually been on each of the ships for a short cruise, so was able to provide a good idea on the facilties on board from a personal perspective.

All the food and drink served at the hotel was included in the price - no extras to pay and it was not a heavy sales pitch. The other people were all like-minded, in that they enjoyed cruising, and many different lines were covered by those there. We did wear our CM badges - partly to help Moira recognise us. One couple did ask how we knew Mira and when I said it was through her posts on the CM forum, they took an interest - so possible new members there. Overall, a very enjoyable social day and many many thanks to Moira for organising it. The next Lunch Club is on 16th september and will feature a presentation on Holland America and Seabourn. Regrettably, we will not be able to attend as we will just be back from a cruise - but we do hope to be able to attend again some time.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Lunch Club - 12th May

Postby Dave » 13 May 2014 07:17

Thanks for that. :thumbup:

Cruise Select do seem to be in a different class to those 'pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap' agents. ;)

I might try to make the next such event.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Lunch Club - 12th May

Postby sevenseascoaster » 13 May 2014 08:29

Sounds like a lovely lunch date, glad you enjoyed it :) Wish they were nearer.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby cruiseselect » 13 May 2014 09:19

I am so pleased you enjoyed the lunch, it always gets a good response from guests as everyone seems to enjoy them.
Thank you for taking the time to drive up to see us and it was lovely to meet you both.

Moira
cruiseselect
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Lunch Club - 12th May

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 May 2014 13:31

As you know I live quite close to this venue, but, unfortunately couldn't make it due to work :(

So glad to hear that you had a lovely time. I hope to make a Lunch Club meeting if one coincides when I'm not working.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 13 May 2014 17:12

The lunches are not always held at the same location. I think this is the first time it had been held at Flitwick Manor. The lunch in September is at the George Hotel in Buckden, which I believe is Cambridgeshire way.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Cruise Select