Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cabin Reviews flipbook: a major update!

Cabin Reviews flipbook: a major update!

Post and read cabin reviews here.

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 09:34

It's been more than a year since I last updated the Cruising Mates Cabin Reviews flipbook and in that time we've had many more reviews.

Yesterday I added another 13 reviews - taking the total number of reviews to 44, and another 27 pages - taking the total to 115 pages.
(To be included, a review must contain both photos and a reasonable amount of text.)

There's a link near the top of the forum index to the Cabin Reviews Flipbook, or you can click the link I've just posted <<. ;)

:geek: I'll deal with some techie points before I go any further... The flipbook uses Flash, which means it probably won't work on Apple devices. It's also quite large (~25mb) so it might run slowly on slow machines and internet connections. If you do find that it runs slowly, it should speed up as your computer gathers and stores the pages locally.

The screenshots and video below will give you an idea of what the flipbook is like:

I've included the contents so you can see if your reviews are included...

I recorded a video of me using the flipbook so that you can see how easy it is, and to show how it should work on a reasonably up-to-date computer:

(Use the settings 'cog' icon to switch to 720HD for a clearer image. I know the video becomes tedious :oops: - I wanted to show that adjacent pages appear quickly but that there is a delay when making big jumps because new sets of pages have to be downloaded.)

Here's the link again: Cabin Reviews Flipbook :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cabin Reviews flipbook: a major update!

Postby khkate » 04 Jul 2014 09:40

Thanks Dave for doing the update - but disappointed not to see more cabin reviews for Saga in there, especially for Saga Pearl 2 You've only shown the Owners suite review recently submitted by Baldrick but both Barry and I have done some recently. There should also be more for Saga Sapphire. However, I suppose Saga does only appeal to a very small amount of members.
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 09:55

khkate wrote:Thanks Dave for doing the update - but disappointed not to see more cabin reviews for Saga in there, especially for Saga Pearl 2 You've only shown the Owners suite review recently submitted by Baldrick but both Barry and I have done some recently. There should also be more for Saga Sapphire. However, I suppose Saga does only appeal to a very small amount of members.

:oops: I can only apologise! :oops:

I started work on this yesterday morning. I started at the top of the reviews area (alphabetically with Costa) and made my way down to Thomson looking for new reviews to include.

My PC is in the conservatory and I was getting very hot and tired (it's a difficult, slow process to take what I find and prepare it for the book). I eventually gave up after I did a couple of Saga reviews and came back to it in the evening. I'd been looking for reviews from the past year and somehow missed the Saga ones before Cocochanel's - I must have thought the one below hers (ie. yours!) was from March 2013 (not 2014), and so I also missed those below that review. :oops:

As I write, the temperature is over 28C at my computer so I'll wait until later before making amends.

I can assure you though that I wouldn't dream of treating Saga reviews any differently from any others. If the photos and text are usable, I'll use them!
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 04 Jul 2014 10:01

You're forgiven Dave - it should be cooler over the weekend. That's the problem I suppose, S is so far down the alphabet.
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Meg50 » 04 Jul 2014 13:50

is there a 'how to' anywhere?

ie what to include/not to include.

I remembered to take photos of the cabin this time!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 19:06

Meg50 wrote:is there a 'how to' anywhere?

ie what to include/not to include.

I remembered to take photos of the cabin this time!

Hi Meg

Looking at a few of the 44 reviews already included will give you some idea. What I look for is a paragraph or more of text plus photos. (I find it difficult to use reviews that are basically photos with captions.)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 04 Jul 2014 19:48

okies and where do I post it initially?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 20:58

Meg50 wrote:okies and where do I post it initially?

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 21:52

I've added one more cabin review - a Saga one.

The number of reviews per cruise line are as follows:

Fred Olsen: 7
Saga and Celebrity: 5
P&O and Costa: 4
NCL and Cunard: 3
Viking, MSC, RCI, Princess and Thomson: 2
Azamara, CMV, HAL and Seabourn: 1

Total: 45 reviews.
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Jul 2014 22:10

I realise that the Cabin Reviews flipbook isn't hugely interesting to forum members since it's likely you've already read the reviews.

What I've always hoped to do is to use the flipbook to promote Cruising Mates. I will probably highlight it in the next newsletter, but my main aim is to get an agent (such as Cruise Select) to use, link to, or feature it in some way. That's why I've included links to the Cruising Mates website, the forum, and the cabin reviews area in the flipbook.

So if you have a good relationship with an agent, why not send them the link?: http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/cabins ;)

(The flipbook contains 45 cabin reviews. Each review is illustrated with photographs and written by a real passenger. The reviews cover 16 cruise lines, and a wide range of cabins from insides to grand suites.)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Cabin reviews