Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Balmoral Junior Balcony Suite

Balmoral Junior Balcony Suite

Balmoral Junior Balcony Suite

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2011 09:10

Looking back at the different cabins we've had, there's one that for us was the perfect choice. Fred Olsen call it a 'junior balcony suite', but a cabin of this size and type might be called a deluxe balcony cabin or simply a standard balcony cabin by other cruise lines. I believe it's a bit naughty to call any cabin a 'suite' unless there are separate sleeping and living areas but, putting the slightly misleading description aside, this was a brilliant cabin nonetheless!

I never find it easy to take a photo of the bathroom (I need a wide-angle lens!), so I'll say that it was a decent size, had all the usual necessities, and a bath:

There's plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and the furniture and fittings are of a good quality. The light-coloured wood finish and lots of mirrors create a feeling of space:

Perhaps the only downside to this cabin was that the two single beds were fixed (unless someone knows differently..?):

The living area was great (and a little bigger than it seems in the photo). There were two comfortable chairs to sit and watch the world go by, and a decent-size coffee table to put your feet up on:

The balcony (like all Balmoral's balconies as far as I'm aware) has an unobstructed view and was a reasonable size - enough for two chairs, a small table, and one lounger (so you have to take turns!), and the balcony deck isn't covered in plastic:

We've paid a lot more for bigger cabins but, to be honest, they weren't worth the extra. And we've paid less for smaller ones, but they were only places to sleep. The Balmoral junior balcony suite is (again, in my humble opinion) simply the best! :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Balmoral Junior Balcony Suite

Postby Barrowboy » 21 Sep 2011 10:27

OK Dave you've convinced me - we are going to have a cruise with FO next year even if its only a taster. Funnily enough I had a letter this very morning inviting me to a FO presentation by a FO rep that goes by the name of Angela Flynn, its at a hotel near me in Bedford on the 16Th October, so I will be going to it, and who knows they might have some special offers.

Nice photo's Dave, but why is it whenever I have seen a photo with Fred in it she is always in a reclining position!! :D

David
Last edited by Barrowboy on 21 Sep 2011 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
David
Barrowboy
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2011 10:30

Barrowboy wrote:.
OK Dave you've convinced me - we are going to have a cruise with FO next year even if its only a taster. Funnily enough I had a letter this very morning inviting me to a FO presentation by a FO rep that goes by the name of Angela Flynn, its at a hotel near me in Bedford on the 16Th October, so I will be going to it, and who knows they might have some special offers.

Nice photo's Dave, by why is it whenever I have seen a photo with Fred in it she is always in a reclining position!! :D

David

Fred does cruises to recline! :lol:
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 21 Sep 2011 10:45

Dave wrote:
Barrowboy wrote:.

Nice photo's Dave, by why is it whenever I have seen a photo with Fred in it she is always in a reclining position!! :D

David

Fred does cruises to recline! :lol:

Quite right too. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 21 Sep 2011 11:18

The junior suite on Balmoral looks good but as you say, would probably be graded as a luxury balcony cabin on other cruise lines.
In fact, it reminds me of the balcony cabin we had on Jewel of the Seas and Celebrity Eclipse but minus the bath.

Our cabin on Boudicca in Jan is just an outside view- unless we get an upgrade maybe- we live in hope. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2011 11:34

JollyJill wrote:The junior suite on Balmoral looks good but as you say, would probably be graded as a luxury balcony cabin on other cruise lines.
In fact, it reminds me of the balcony cabin we had on Jewel of the Seas and Celebrity Eclipse but minus the bath.

Our cabin on Boudicca in Jan is just an outside view- unless we get an upgrade maybe- we live in hope. :)

We've found it can sometimes pay to ask (or pester) Fred Olsen about upgrades nearer the date Jill. Sometimes there's been a cost (large or small) and sometimes it's been free. It's always worth a try! ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Fred Olsen