Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Black Watch superior outside cabin.

Black Watch superior outside cabin.

Postby CGBOWLER » 05 Mar 2013 15:09

This is one that should be avoided! Cabin 5110.
We upgraded straight away.
The photos were taken in a hurry, just as we were leaving to change cabins.
The cabin was supposed to be one of the better OS ones but in my opinion only 6 could have been worse.(5111,5112,5114,5115,5116 and 5117. 5109 opposite would presumably be just as bad.
The noise and vibration when the engines started was unbearable. Everything in the cabin rattled. I know this would only happen at certain times and maybe we could have put up with it....but

feet would have banged against the wall or the whatever it was at the right hand end of the bed. It sloped too.

My clock and my torch have to be at the side of my bed. Where?

The WC was really small and I am big and tall.

I suppose underwear might have been happy in the vegetable racks. :)

Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Black Watch superior outside cabin.

Postby Fossil » 05 Mar 2013 15:45

Not impressed and I don't think anyone else would be. If this is a Superior Outside I would hate to book a Standard. As for the vibration it has to be remembered unfortunately that the ship is 42 years old!!!!!
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby JollyJill » 05 Mar 2013 15:48

Well if that's a superior outside cabin, I wonder what the inferior (standard) is like. :o

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Mar 2013 16:30

Actually, they're very cosy; we spent three-and-a-half months in one (although we went out sometimes). 'Superior' might be a touch too far, but it's superior to the outsides with portholes on the lower decks! Also, we were in the ideal location, being amidships on the main deck. :D

But now I've studied the photo showing the door, I think this is a B Superior Outside. We had an A Superior! :lol:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fossil » 05 Mar 2013 21:19

In fairness which ever 'Superior' it is, it is not impressive. I am sailing with Fred Olsen next week so it will interesting to spend some time visiting the various cabins. I am in a 'Superior Outside' so I wait with baited breath. :) :)
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby CGBOWLER » 06 Mar 2013 00:44

Dave wrote:Actually, they're very cosy; we spent three-and-a-half months in one (although we went out sometimes). 'Superior' might be a touch too far, but it's superior to the outsides with portholes on the lower decks! Also, we were in the ideal location, being amidships on the main deck. :D

But now I've studied the photo showing the door, I think this is a B Superior Outside. We had an A Superior! :lol:

We booked an A Superior but as Jill said, if this was Superior I wouldn't want anything lower.:(
My heart sank as soon as we walked in.
When the engines started I knew I could not spend 9 nights in there (never mind 3+ months. :lol: )
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby CGBOWLER » 06 Mar 2013 00:55

Fossil wrote:In fairness which ever 'Superior' it is, it is not impressive. I am sailing with Fred Olsen next week so it will interesting to spend some time visiting the various cabins. I am in a 'Superior Outside' so I wait with baited breath. :) :)

Superior cabin 5096 on Boudicca was fine Fossil. :)
Not noisy and no vibration.
Not much drawer space and in my opinion, not as superior as the Thomson deluxe ;)

Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 06 Mar 2013 01:28

Fossil wrote:In fairness which ever 'Superior' it is, it is not impressive

Cerainly not impressed and it's certainly not superior.

MSC have just reclassified some of its cabins, on its Fantasia class ships, as "Superior", which just means they are on the top three accomodation decks. MInd you that is what the word actually means if you look at the derivation from Latin

from Latin superiorem (nominative superior) "higher," comparative of superus "situated above, upper,"
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England