Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Black Watch outside E grade cabin 3032

Black Watch outside E grade cabin 3032

Postby JollyJill » 24 Nov 2013 22:30

On our Portugal/Spain cruise on Black Watch in November 2013, we booked an outside cabin on deck 3 which is called Marina Deck.

Although it is a cheaper grade cabin, or 'steerage' as I call it, we were pleasantly surprised at how spacious it was and with amount of storage space.

The beds were configured in a L shape layout which meant that there was plenty of room in the centre of cabin.

There were 8 drawers in the dressing table; 4 either side and 2 wardrobes which provided plenty of hanging space plus another 5 areas for storage. These consisted of a lockable drawer which was a substitute for a safe and 4 sliding open drawers for just about anything. Although our cruise was only for 8 days, we found that we had more than enough storage space some of which remained empty.

As you can see by the reflection in the mirror, the shower room/Loo was opposite the wardrobes. It was what most of us get with a standard cabin but it was still big enough and the actual shower cubicle was probably bigger than we have experienced before. The downside was the shower curtain which is never as good as a screen.

You can see from this view that the wardrobes are on the right and the loo/shower is opposite

The downside of having a cabin on deck 3 is that we tended to use the lifts more than we would have liked as we spent most of our time on decks 6 & 7. That said, it was a cheap cruise and we were more than happy with what we got for what we paid.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 24 Nov 2013 22:48

Thanks for that Jill. It all looks very familiar except that the bathroom seems smarter than I remember with that dark wood.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Black Watch outside E grade cabin 3032

Postby tomvet » 24 Nov 2013 22:58

Jill. this look a great cabin. I am just looking at the first picture with Plunky in it - is the bed not made up the wrong way as the person lying on the one he is sitting on if the lie in the direction as indicated - can they see the TV?

Where the round table and arm chair are - could you fit a cot in there?
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 24 Nov 2013 23:05

tomvet wrote:Jill. this look a great cabin. I am just looking at the first picture with Plunky in it - is the bed not made up the wrong way as the person lying on the one he is sitting on if the lie in the direction as indicated - can they see the TV?

The bed could be made up either end really Tom.

Yes, there would have been room for a cot where the table and armchair were. I'm not sure that Fred Olsen would permit that though. :?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 24 Nov 2013 23:17

JollyJill wrote:
tomvet wrote:Jill. this look a great cabin. I am just looking at the first picture with Plunky in it - is the bed not made up the wrong way as the person lying on the one he is sitting on if the lie in the direction as indicated - can they see the TV?

Yes, there would have been room for a cot where the table and armchair were. I'm not sure that Fred Olsen would permit that though. :?

They did provide a cot on Boudicca and our cabin was so big there that we did not have to make any alterations to the furniture. I wonder if they would take the table and chair out to make space for a cot?
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 24 Nov 2013 23:29

tomvet wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

They did provide a cot on Boudicca and our cabin was so big there that we did not have to make any alterations to the furniture. I wonder if they would take the table and chair out to make space for a cot?

It is possible because there were a few families on board and 4 doors along from us was a couple with a 9 month old little girl.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 24 Nov 2013 23:41

JollyJill wrote:It is possible because there were a few families on board and 4 doors along from us was a couple with a 9 month old little girl.

That's good to know Jill! :thumbup:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Wansbrough » 25 Nov 2013 17:16

Thanks for this Jill, it does look very cosy and its always good to compare what each cruise line and more specifically each ship has to offer.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gemma » 25 Nov 2013 20:09

The cabin looks fine - especially as I think you said you don't spend much time there. Just one slight criticism though, it's a pity that you have to kneel on the bed to look out.
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sevenseascoaster » 25 Nov 2013 21:10

Looks compact Jill, but as you say had everything you needed, but perhaps without somewhere to put your bedside clock, as in the 2nd picture ?
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next