Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga announce all travellers must be vaccinated

Saga announce all travellers must be vaccinated

Re: Saga announce all travellers must be vaccinated

Postby newmember » 23 Jan 2021 14:20

Though I am not too sure how effective it will be, as it is only the paying passengers who have to be vaccinated.
Staff and crew (and,I suspect, many of the invited media representatives) will almost certainly not be vaccinated yet, so all the other restrictions have to remain.
I hope that their survey included all the people already booked, as it is quite possible that some may not be able to have the vaccination on medical grounds, and some may not be able to get the 2nd dose at least 14 days before departure - none of them will be able to go on their cruise.
Yes, Saga have made it clear they can rebook or have a full refund (Saga have been exemplary in the speed of refunding passengers) but this may not make up for the disappointment of people who were prepared to follow every guideline and restriction in order to cruise - then the terms of their booking are changed and they still cannot sail.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 23 Jan 2021 15:08

It will be a lot more disappointing if unvaccinated passengers end up with Covid in hospital as well as more than disappointing for hospital ICU medics (like members of my family) who have to try to keep them alive and are consequently are at their own limits of endurance and emotional stress. All the evidence is that vaccination at least protects from severe illness. Everyone and every organisation needs to take on the responsibility to do everything possible to control the spread of this virus. Saga seems to be trying their best to do this even though a few customers may be temporarily inconvenienced. However it’s more than possible that cruising will only be allowed later rather than sooner anyway so no one will be cruising before vaccination is widespread.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 23 Jan 2021 15:43

I agree with you about the vaccination, (DH has just had his first one, I have not yet been called).
My -- not sure whether to say concern or irritation .. is that the information from Saga in the headlines about "all" passengers must be vaccinated gives the misleading impression that everybody on board will be vaccinated.
The reality will be that, at least on the initial cruises, a very large percentage of people on board will be unvaccinated staff and crew.
So there will still be a lot of people at risk if the ships start sailing May-June-July.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby Arizona » 23 Jan 2021 18:10

Just to be clear, I am by no means a spokesperson for Saga! However I would say that, if you read the detail they have published, it is clear that the officers and crew will not be able to qualify for vaccination just yet but will be following a very strict protocol and testing regime. It will be in their own interests to follow that in order for the ships to sail and for them to have a job. It also makes clear that passengers, even though they will be vaccinated, will also have to be tested and follow strict protocols. Again, it will be in their own interests to comply. It won’t be the experience we know and love so I’m not sure it’s for me, but I think Saga is doing it’s best a) to stay in business and b) to take every precaution currently possible. I suppose it all comes down to the level of risk people are willing to accept and the lengths they are prepared to go to in order to minimise those risks. Maybe we will all have to learn to live with some element of risk or stay behind our front doors for ever!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 Jan 2021 13:35

Peka wrote:
Carwalsick wrote:
Gillzajoker wrote:Personally I am not convinced the vaccine is safe, having been rushed out so quickly
and there are already many cases of ill-effects, and that's before we will know of the
long-term side effects. Plus it does not guarantee you immunity so you can still get
it - maybe a 'lighter' version - but you can still pass it on. I definitely won't have it at
the moment.
I assume that you will decline treatment if you succumb.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Those are pretty harsh words, at no point did Gill make a claim of being a "Covid denier" She isn't one standing outside a hospital claiming it is all a hoax. Those are the ones who should be denied treatment if there is clearly (supposedly) nothing to treat!

I only made the first post as I was not surprised that a company would come out with such news. I agree with Gill there is no long term proof that the vaccine will protect ( as in given full immunity) only possibly lessen symptoms and for how long is its effectiveness.? I find it frustrating that some see the vaccine as a free ticket to return to doing as they please, when even with a vaccine, we should be sticking to social distancing and general healthy practices!

I am sure that Saga would still have in place lots of Covid protocols

Thank you, Peka.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby hazel20 » 31 Jan 2021 12:48

newmember wrote:Apparently Saga did a passenger survey about this, and found 98% of their passengers were in favour of mandatory vaccination against Covid.
According to the FT, the survey was of 2,000 people.
As a matter of curiosity, was anyone on this forum surveyed?
If often wonder, every time I see a report from Saga, about asking their passengers, whether they simply run a poll on their facebook page.

I was included in the poll - it was an email

How I was included I am not sure - I have 2 cruises booked as a speaker - and I had one booked as a passenger (but my Mum was the lead name on that)
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Jan 2021 16:03

I would hazard a guess that your speaker status was the key factor :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby hazel20 » 31 Jan 2021 16:32

Gillzajoker wrote:I would hazard a guess that your speaker status was the key factor :D

No, I don't think it would be - they questions were phrased for passengers. As speakers, we just comply with whatever is required!!
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Feb 2021 12:31

Oopa, wrong again! In that case, it is good that the surveys are factual :D