Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MV Azores Scottish Isles Faroes May 2015

MV Azores Scottish Isles Faroes May 2015

Postby judgegeoff » 29 May 2015 21:42

An excellent report Jill, with some really good photos, many thanks for sharing it with us. As you say, the ship doesn't look 66 years old (and she is certainly in better shape than me!). It was nice to see a proper ship.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: MV Azores Scottish Isles Faroes May 2015

Postby sevenseascoaster » 29 May 2015 21:45

Nice review and pictures Jill, that gang plank certainly looked steep :roll: , a bit like the one on the Hebridean Princess.
Its good to experience an entirely different ship and what it has to offer, its been renovated to a nice standard, and the smaller the ship more amenable to getting into tight places, so more off beat itineraries. :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 29 May 2015 21:49

judgegeoff wrote:An excellent report Jill, with some really good photos, many thanks for sharing it with us. As you say, the ship doesn't look 66 years old (and she is certainly in better shape than me!). It was nice to see a proper ship.

Thanks Geoff. P said pretty much the same about the condition of the ship, given that it only 2 years younger than him. :lol:

We love 'proper'ships, even if they are old. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby CGBOWLER » 30 May 2015 00:10

Thanks for your excellent review and photos Jill.
The ship looks exactly the sort of ship that we like, small, perfectly formed and with everything we need. :D
When we sailed on the CM ship, Ocean Countess from Liverpool, the gangway was also very steep. We found out later that infirm passengers could have boarded where the luggage was being taken on (Deck 2) but this was not made common knowledge.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 30 May 2015 08:32

CGBOWLER wrote:Thanks for your excellent review and photos Jill.
The ship looks exactly the sort of ship that we like, small, perfectly formed and with everything we need. :D
When we sailed on the CM ship, Ocean Countess from Liverpool, the gangway was also very steep. We found out later that infirm passengers could have boarded where the luggage was being taken on (Deck 2) but this was not made common knowledge.

I guessed that was probably the case on Azores too Irene. However, given that the majority of passengers were of retirement age, it would have been much better to have used the deck 2 exit all the time.
I certainly saw many people struggling on that steep gangplank.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 30 May 2015 10:21

Sounds like you and P had a lovely cruise. The interior of this ship looks great and capacity-wise would suit us. Such a shame that her time with CMV as a UK-based ship won't last and she will be heading to France. We have faced a few steep gangplanks like that too, and even for those who are physically fit, I think it can be a bit daunting.
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby JollyJill » 30 May 2015 10:27

khkate wrote:Sounds like you and P had a lovely cruise. The interior of this ship looks great and capacity-wise would suit us. Such a shame that her time with CMV as a UK-based ship won't last and she will be heading to France. We have faced a few steep gangplanks like that too, and even for those who are physically fit, I think it can be a bit daunting.

I consoder myself reasonably fit Lesley, yet I struggled up the gangplank with my hand luggage when we first boarded. A member of the crew did come down a few steps and grab one of my bags but I suspect there were many more passengers that found those steps difficult to climb.
Interestingly, I have just read a review on cruise critic which highlighted the same problem.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 30 May 2015 11:33

Interesting review Jill. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have just read it while waiting for our flight back to the UK using the 30 minutes complimentary WiFi here at the airport.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 30 May 2015 11:35

Wansbrough wrote:Interesting review Jill. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I have just read it while waiting for our flight back to the UK using the 30 minutes complimentary WiFi here at the airport.

Thanks W, although I know that the ship wouldn't appeal to you. ;)

I look forward to hearing more about your cruise on Jade.
A safe journey home.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 30 May 2015 11:37

I have to say steep gang planks have been a frequent occurrence in some of my most recent cruises. I know the level of the tide can affect it throughout the day but why not board the ship through a lower deck if the level is too high. On Thomson Spirit in Belfast we had to almost abseil from the ship!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

PreviousNext