Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Magellan to the Fjords

Magellan to the Fjords

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 24 Sep 2017 21:35

staff on board accounts, all inclusive etc

There was a good mixture of different nationalities on board the Magellan and every single crew member I met was lovely friendly and helpful even the waiter who flung a vodka and coke round me :lol: he was so embarrassed the poor guy. Although one day in the buffet the restaurant when we sat at a table it was full of crumbs and dirty from the previous occupants. I had gone to get something and mum had asked a waiter for a cloth to clean the table. His reply was apparently that table was not part of his station but he would clean it for her since she asked. she says he sounded like he was put out by her daring to ask him and was doing her a favour. :lol:

Our cabin steward Sebastio (think that's how he spelt his name) was very friendly, very helpful and great at his job. I wanted to take him home :lol:

Tips/gratitudes where charged at £5 per person a day and are added to your on board accounts. Of course this amount can be removed or altered at your discretion.

There were several different drinks packages which included a cocktail package, a soft drinks package, beer package these varied in price and where a set amount for a set number of drinks. There was also the all inclusive package which was £17 a day and included most drinks including cocktails anything not included is clearly marked on the menu. We didn't bother with any of the packages the drinks where very reasonably priced at around £3.95 for a spirit and mixer cocktails where around £3.85- £4.50 and all where good measures of alcohol.

Onboard accounts can be settled by cash, credit or debit card which is the norm for most ships. One thing to watch out for was one of the people we became friendly with on the cruise went to settle her account in cash and the receptionist said to her not to forget there would be another set of gratitudes to be added. She asked what for as 6 nights worth of gratitudes had already been added and they informed her she had been on board 7 nights. That was news to her as she boarded the ship with us in Dundee and was only on 6 nights. They did sort it for her but imagine if she hadn't have went to settle account in cash :shock: .
Last edited by sparkiethecruiser on 29 Sep 2017 20:53, edited 2 times in total.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 24 Sep 2017 21:38

Fellow passengers, disembarkation and the journey home

Magellan except on special sailings during the summer holiday season is adult only but an adult is 16+ not 18+ as like on some ships. She caters for a mainly British market although all are welcome obviously. On this trip there were a few people from Republic of Ireland on board the rest of the passengers I think where British. There was a mix of ages from 20's right through to late 80's. I would say the average age of passengers was around 50. There were a number of quite infirm elderly people on board. Also there must be a very special mention for the star passenger of the cruise and I forget his name now so apologises but their was guide dog on board and he was brilliant. Even when I stepped right in front of him luckily not on top of him I never saw him coming I was too busy trying to fix my camera. He even sat through all the shows in his specially reserved table seat.

Disembarkation

what can I say other than worst ever disembarkation morning ever experienced and I would love to know what bright spark decided this was the best way to do it. The ship was departing Newcastle at Lunchtime so obviously there had to be a quick turnaround get us off get the next lot on I totally understand that. However the ship was going to Tilbury and was not due in there until the next day so why the need to leave so early. Anyway the upshot was everyone had to vacate there cabins by 6am at the latest I am still getting over the shock :lol: . However that was not the main issue the main issue was that the restaurant wasn't starting to serve breakfast until 6am so guess what happened when everyone had to leave their cabins at 6am. Everyone headed straight for breakfast we had been up since 4 so were already up in buffet having cups of tea. However the number of people who were wandering about sitting on ledges and window sills eating breakfast because they could not find a seat was shocking. I mean who ever would have predicted that would happen. Actually someone did me actually several others did as well. Also there were several selfish passengers sitting at tables for 4 when there were only two of them and telling people that the seats where taken. The couple across from us kept doing this claiming it was for their friends well they came into the restaurant just the two of them around 5.30 and when we vacated our table at just before 7 not only had they finished breakfast and hogging seats their friends where yet to show up. Also after 20 minutes of breakfast service starting they had ran out of cups and glasses in buffet and the waiters were bringing out about half a dozen to a dozen cups at a time which was useless when there was 20+ people in the queue. Glasses where yet to reappear after running out when we left.

Also we had to be out our cabins by 6 but no one was allowed off until 6.45 and we weren't due off until 8 some where not due off until 9 long time to hang about. The actual disembarkation was relatively simple and we located our luggage straightaway. On leaving the ship I was asked by a staff member are you red :? I was like am I what he went colour red. I went red what ? Having absolutely no clue what he was actually talking about apparently he wanted to know if my luggage labels where red. Well you know obviously or I wouldn't have got off but anyway. I just smiled and said yes and walked on. It did not escape my notice that I was the youngest in the group and slightly separated from the rest of the group I was walking with and was only one who was asked to verify my luggage label colour. :lol: Not sure if I should have been offended or not :lol: .

Journey home we left from the Port of Dundee but the ship was returning to Newcastle. We were offered at the time of booking a free coach service back to Dundee we did toy with the idea of getting the train as it was quicker for us to head straight home from Newcastle. However on looking at the options the train was going to cost over £200 for singles and me being miserable we took the free bus and I got bus tickets from Dundee to GLasgow for a fiver and then it cost me another six pounds for local bus from Glasgow to where we live and then we had planned on getting a taxi up the road from the bus station but there was no taxis at the rank and just as I went to phone one the bus that stops outside our house pulled up and it was empty so we just got the bus so it cost us less than a tenner so big saving :lol: Anyway the actually journey from Newcastle to Dundee wasn't to bad my only critisim was that we pulled over into the layby at the Scotland sign in the borders for a comfort stop. Not sure how it was classed as a comfort stop as there was no toilets no cafe etc. If anything it was just a cigarette stop which since I don't smoke annoyed the hell out of me :lol:. We then stopped further up just after Edinburgh for half an hour at a services which was fine had to happen as driver has to comply with the law. The first stop was just a total unnessary waste of time and I don't even think anyone who got off bar one man even had a smoke the rest went to look at the sign and have a photo taken :lol: and the man who had a smoke only did so as his mother told him to :lol: . It wasn't too bad a journey but took around 5 hours including the two stops. We then had to head to bus station for our onward journey home which led to a problem as the driver dropped us at the Port there were no taxis waiting or rank or anything with a taxi number on it so you could call one. We managed to get the taxi number off of a driver who was there to pick up a passenger who was local to the area and had called one. That was fine for us but there was almost a fight between two men over a taxi the man was claiming it was his taxi but it wasn't it was for this man and his wife who had phoned and booked it while the bus was coming into the port i heard them make the booking and I also heard the driver calling out the name of his passengers and the drop off location. However you should have heard this man he was going mental. I just moved away from him in case they came to blows :lol:

We got off the ship at 8am exactly and where home around 5pm not to bad really. However if we had got the train we could have been home around 2.30-3pm but was more expensive :lol:
Last edited by sparkiethecruiser on 28 Sep 2017 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 24 Sep 2017 21:40

Cruise overview, thoughts on the CMV experience and how it compared to others I have been on

Well what can I say we went not sure what to expect from CMV or Magellan due to so many bad and damn right awful reviews. I must admit to feeling a little apprehensive and worried before going and I had really low expectations. However we went with an open mind determined to make the best of whatever was to come. However we need not have worried we had a brilliant time on board, she is a beautiful ship, we met some really nice people and we loved the CMV experience. There was some little niggles that we didn't like such as the disembarkation and no late night buffet also the noise of the ropes and movement/vibration in cabin was not ideal but not a deal breaker as this only happened ocassionally. Another issue seemed to be that the ships air conditioning was too high and apart from the lounge bar on deck 8 and the library on deck 9 the ship was cold with the exceptions of the toilets. ALthough Waldrofs restaurant on first night was far to hot. Another slight problem seemed to be a lack of toilets throughout the ship and also something i found a bit concerning was that most not all but most of the disabled toilets on the ship where situated inside the gents so female disabled guests had to ask someone check no one was in before they could enter the toilet as you had to go through the gents to get into the disable cubicle and some men where not willing to wait until they had used the disabled toilet before they went in. However all that said the positives far out weighed all the negatives and I would sail on the Magellan again if the right cruise was available at the right time.

I think I prefer the Magellan to the Balmoral but I think that Fred Olsen maybe just have a slightly better cruise experience but its pretty close between the two. ALthough the Magellan didn't try and drive me insane with the constant playing of the carpenters :lol: . My first cruise experience was on the Van Gogh with travelscope holidays. This was a similar experience to that in terms of entertainment and staff but on a better ship. Not that there was anything wrong with the Van Gogh I will always have a very special place in my heart for that dear old Lady Magellan just is a better ship with more facilities yet a similar size.

I don't think its really fair to compare her to the rest of the lines Ive been with as they are all much larger ships so are a different experience except to say that I much prefer the small ships experience. I do like the large ships its just different its hard to explain unless you have done both :lol:

Photos to follow i have to go to work just realised the time :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby grannyM » 29 Sep 2017 16:26

Thank you Donna for this detailed review of your cruise, the ship and ports visited, which I enjoyed reading. I don't think you've left anything out. :)

You surely must take notes when on board any ship because you always take an enormous amount of time on your review. It is so very good of you to do this and much appreciated. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Magellan to the Fjords

Postby khkate » 29 Sep 2017 17:10

Thank you Donna for an exceedingly comprehensive review - makes me exhausted reading it! As Marie says, you must have made copious notes - did you have any time to relax on the cruise?
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 29 Sep 2017 20:12

grannyM wrote:Thank you Donna for this detailed review of your cruise, the ship and ports visited, which I enjoyed reading. I don't think you've left anything out. :)

You surely must take notes when on board any ship because you always take an enormous amount of time on your review. It is so very good of you to do this and much appreciated. :D

No but thats an idea :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Sep 2017 10:48

Fabulous review, Donna - don't need to do that cruise now as I have lived it through you :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 30 Sep 2017 17:22

I believe it or not forgot something. The signs in the Magellan toilets on hand washing were wrong and VERY misleading and direct contradiction of hygiene policies laid down in health and safety laws. As well as infection control legislation trust me I know as I'm fed up going on the bloody courses. Notices on the walls in the toilets stated that soap and water should only be used if your hands are visibly soiled and hand sanitizer should be used at all other times. I almost had a hairy fit as we call around here when I saw it. As hand sanitser should only be used if soap and water is not readily available. Anyway I suspected they had outbreak of noro or similar it was not announced or obvious if you didn't know about infection control procedures you might also notice if you are a regular cruiser. First indication was i overheard a lady talking to a staff member and she said her friend was unwell and had to see doc. Of course that could have been anything but that night along with the cruise newspaper and other stuff was a notice about noro it's symptoms and about importance of good hygiene with the correct hand washing procedures contradicting the notice in toilets also stating all symptoms must be reported stay in cabin. It also stated staff were trained to spot it and report any suspected cases. Also now suddenly there was staff stationed at doors of restaurant to make sure people used the gel. I said to mum they have a noro outbreak. She was thinking same. Now this was not confirmed and I only heard of 4 people being ill but it was very suspicious
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby Mungo » 30 Sep 2017 20:24

Thanks Donna! :mrgreen:

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed CMV! :thumbup:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Magellan to the Fjords

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Sep 2017 23:33

Wow Donna, many thanks for a most interesting and comprehensive review, I really enjoyed reading it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It was a pity that it rained so much. Norway is so much better with sun and blue skies, but I know you have been there before, so hopefully will have seen it at its best. I haven't sailed with CMV (yet), but I would be happy to do so in the future after reading your review.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to CMV