Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - An Evening on Marco Polo

An Evening on Marco Polo

Re: An Evening on Marco Polo

Postby bobbyoscar » 03 Dec 2011 16:12

Thank you for posting such an informative, comprehensive review.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Stan Deasy » 03 Dec 2011 16:28

Spot on review Dave...We might still give it a go,though it would be price/itinerary that would tempt us.
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby Mungo » 03 Dec 2011 17:17

Thanks Dave! :D

I'm looking forward to my mini cruise on her on 2 weeks even more now as she sounds/looks exactly what I hope an old ship to be. ;)

I've been allocated a Superior inside twin cabin which from reading is larger and in a better position than the cheapest inside cabins.

Out of interest have you ever had a low deck cabin before? I had one on Balmoral and that really did feel like steerage. :shock: The carpets disappeared from around the lifts and stairs and there were badly stained carpets outside our cabin. To reach our cabin we had to step over a huge step where a watertight door was. :o However I've also had an oceanview cabin on Balmoral in the new "stretched" part. So very different! Wouldn't stop me from sailing on Balmoral or having a cabin in steerage. :lol:

The sloping floors remind me of Saga Ruby on which I've had a tour. To me it adds atmosphere and makes you realise how far nicer the old ships............ which are sadly becoming fewer and fewer......... are.

I'll write a review of Marco Polo on my return. ;)
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Dave » 03 Dec 2011 17:30

Hi Mungo. I'd forgotten you're off on Marco Polo soon and I'm relieved you don't seem to think I've been over-critical. :oops:

We started cruising in lowest-deck inside cabins - our first was an incredibly noisy deck 2 cabin on Braemar right next to the anchor machinery! I'd still say though that Braemar's lowest passenger deck is in a different class to Marco Polo's.

I'm looking forward to reading your review of an actual Marco Polo cruise and in particular how you think she compares with other traditional ships.

We're still small-ship fans and hope to try Thomson next.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fossil » 03 Dec 2011 18:05

Personally I don't think you are being over critical. It is you opinion to which you are entitled. It is a 3 star ship and is marketed as such. Fred, Thomson etc are marketed as 4 star. As a 3 star I personally think it is a good ship. The slope is caused by the line of sheer.
The food we had onboard was excellent as seen in the photo's.

Also like the buffet.

This is the Palms Lounge that you mentioned

We are back on her on the 15th so will give me a chance to see if anything food wise has changed.
Last edited by Fossil on 03 Dec 2011 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby Dave » 03 Dec 2011 18:35

I was very impressed with the food; I wrote: "The food at dinner was extremely good, and probably the best we've had on board a ship", so we certainly agree on that point Fossil. :)

I'm not sure what's meant by a star rating though. I know that Douglas Ward gives Marco Polo three stars (and of course that's an opinion too, despite his attempt at 'calculating' the stars), but Cruise & Maritime don't appear to market Marco Polo as a three-star ship. Or at least, that's how it seems to me after reading the brochures and browsing their website.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fossil » 03 Dec 2011 20:11

Dave, My information is that it is marketed as a 3 star ship. This comes from my media day on her. If you put 3 star Marco Polo into a search engine it brings it up as such with many agents. I also referred to it as such in my review that went to Cruise and Maritime and it was not questioned. This review is also on Cruising Mates. C&M don't actually mention any star rating in the brochures. I agree you said the food was good and as you didn't have any photos of it I thought I would back up your comments with some photos that I took. Like wise the photos of the Palm Lounge and Buffet area. Personally I think it is as good as any of the Thomson ships I have cruised on, cabins better appointed and the food far superior. As I said I will reassess on the 15th.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby hazel20 » 04 Dec 2011 10:29

I've sailed on Marco Polo, Discovery and Boudicca...............and it's Boudicca that comes out on top for me.
MP was sailing for Orient Lines when I went on her so clearly much may have changed since then.........the 2 memories I have are that our cabin was very small and noisy, but the food was superb!

Oh I've just remembered a 3rd memory from that trip.....one night we won the quiz and another pax got very angry with us!! "I know your sort, you go round doing pub quizzes...." was the drift of it. Well, no we don't, and even if we did, did that mean we couldn't do a quiz on a ship??? One of those bizarre encounters.

(BTW, when I'm lecturing on a ship, I'm not allowed to do the quizzes, so rarely get the chance to annoy people that way these days)
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Jimmy the One » 04 Dec 2011 11:39

Always some people who take it all too seriously seen it on Oriana this year and on Boudicca one gentleman who had to win at everything and have seen the cheating as well :lol: :lol:
Jim
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby majorerka » 04 Dec 2011 12:26

Thank you,Thank you,Thank you....... for a comprehensive report on this ship.
We have been searching for days for info. and booked a trip yesterday so was pleased to see this report confirm all our thoughts. We went purely for the itinerary............. The Northern Lights which (according to our T/A ) ... is proving very popular.
Looking at the photos I agree with the similarities to the Saga ships both the Rose (now defunct) and the Ruby .we loved sailing on both of these and they were also built in the early sixties.
In terms of comfort ,cabins balconies etc I believe it depends on personal choice and reasons for doing a particular itinerary. I always want a balcony in warmer climes but am perfectly happy to choose inside on this occasion .
Thanks also for the many photo's .
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home
majorerka
Midshipman
Midshipman

PreviousNext

Return to CMV