Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MEMORIES (No. 23) - ALASKA CRUISE 2016

MEMORIES (No. 23) - ALASKA CRUISE 2016

Postby judgegeoff » 16 Apr 2021 06:26

Day 7 – Saturday 28th May 2016 - Cruising Inside Passage, Alaska

Today was our last full day on the ship before we disembarking in Vancouver, Canada. After our usual breakfast in the Main Dining Room and coffees in the Tuscan Grill, we went up to the Constellation Lounge to take part in the morning Trivia Quiz.

Trivia quiz time in the Constellation Lounge.

Chris then went for a last swim in the Thalassotherapy swimming pool in the Solarium, so that she would have time to dry her swimming costume so that it could be packed in her suitcase.

The Thalassotherapy swimming pool in the Solarium.

The water in the pool is very warm and you are advised not to stay in it longer than 15 minutes.

Relaxing in the Solarium.

After Chris’ swimming session she went to our cabin to shower and dress and then we went for our last lunch in the lovely Main Dining Room.

The lovely two-level Main Dining Room.

We love the dining room’s lovely windows at the stern of the ship.

The decorative ceiling centre in the dining room.

The ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ escalators used by the waiters.

After lunch Chris relaxed on deck, enjoying the scenery whilst I took a few more photos around the ship.

We saw our sister ship, the “Celebrity Millennium”.

The (unmanned) Excursions desk on the left and the Guest Services desk (with a queue) on the right.

The long staircase between decks 4 and 5.

One of the elevator foyers on deck 3.

The inside of one of the elevators.

Some modern art – not to my taste!

More art.

Plenty of glass.

The room on the right, behind the trellis, is the ‘Bistro on 5’ speciality restaurant (nowadays it is the ‘Sushi on 5’ restaurant).

Sale – time to grab a last-minute bargain(?)!

Looking down on the pool deck.

Another view of the deck.

Quiet decks.

We retired to our cabin to start repacking our suitcases, making sure that we had left a set of clothes for the morning. When almost complete we went to a ‘Beatles’ Trivia Quiz, getting 18/20, but it was won by another table that achieved 20/20.

Chris in the Constellation Lounge, getting ready for the quiz.

Before dinner, we went to the Constellation for our last complimentary drinks. After dinner, we returned to our cabin to do the final packing. After checking that nothing was left in the cabin apart from our clothes for the morning, we put the suitcases outside in the corridor, to be collected by the crew. As we had an early start in the morning, we went to bed.

Our two (and a bit) suitcases. Bedford always travels light.

==========================================================

Day 8 – Sunday 29th May 2016 - Disembarkation in Vancouver

We had to be up early as we had to leave our cabin by 8:00 am and were scheduled to leave the ship at 9:05 am. The Main Dining Room was surprisingly quiet and we were able to finish our breakfast well before 8:00 am. We returned to our cabin to collect our hand luggage, thanked Dalia and his assistant Carlos and then made our way to the Tuscan Grill to wait to be called to disembark.

Our disembarkation number was called on time and we made our way off the ship and the security men who booked us out reminded me to collect my confiscated dangerous weapon (my little Swiss Army knife) from a little stall in the enclosed walkway, which I did. The port of Vancouver was very well organised and we had one of the easiest disembarkations that we have ever experienced. There were plenty of people to show us where to collect our luggage, with deck number and cabin odd and even numbers being grouped separately. Collecting our luggage was very easy and we were then directed to the taxi area. There were two separate areas – one for singles or couples and the other area for larger groups – with smaller taxis queueing for the former and larger taxis for the larger groups – all very civilised. Within a couple of minutes, the four of us were sat in a spacious taxi, heading for our accommodation for the next few days, the ‘Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel’.

We had enjoyed a fantastic cruise, visiting some stunning locations on a beautiful ship with a great crew.

=============================================

THE END

=============================================

We were going to spend a few days in Vancouver at the end of this cruise and they will produce another Memories blog covering them, starting tomorrow.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Apr 2021 10:10

A relaxing last day, and so near and yet so far with the quiz. Nice to see more areas of the ship, too.
And so ends another wonderful voyage with you, for which many thanks to your both for sharing.
I'm ready for our hotel stay now! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: MEMORIES (No. 23) - ALASKA CRUISE 2016

Postby Camela » 16 Apr 2021 13:45

Thanks, Geoff, this jogged a few memories of our Alaska cruise on Norwegian Wind in the late 90's. We visited the Red Dog Saloon, Juneau and I went with our eldest son to Dolly's, Ketchikan whilst the other two did something more suitable for a 14 year old!! We only saw one Bald Eagle and that was at a distance whilst cruising the Inside Passage, did manage a photo using zoom.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Previous