Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dress codes in the Middle East

Dress codes in the Middle East

Postby Wansbrough » 09 Dec 2013 14:12

I have been looking into dress codes for next years cruise from Dubai to Savona. As well as the UAE, we have a couple of stops in Oman and I am very conscious of not wishing to upset anyone by wearing inappropriate clothing. I know that ladies are expected to cover up but from what I can tell even men wearing shorts are frowned upon.

Has anyone got any advise which could be of use? :D
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 09 Dec 2013 15:37

I can't advise you about the Middle East W, as I have not been there yet, but when we are on an excursion in other Countries and we will be visiting sensitive places like temples, I wear long zip-off trousers that allow me to remove/add the bottom halves as necessary. I have used them successfully in Hong Kong, Singapore and even the Vatican. :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dress codes in the Middle East

Postby Hannah » 09 Dec 2013 17:33

I went to Dubai a couple of years ago on a land based holiday with my daughter and we wore our usual clothes, don't think Dubai are as strict but would always cover up in temples, churches etc in any country.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 28 Jan 2014 14:29

I have just bought a pair of Craghopper Kiwi Trousers to cover my options. I have never had a pair of these before and really surprised how comfortable they are. :D
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 28 Jan 2014 19:53

Wansbrough wrote:I have just bought a pair of Craghopper Kiwi Trousers to cover my options. I have never had a pair of these before and really surprised how comfortable they are. :D

OH has a pair of 'zip offs' for just such occasions, as Geoff describes, and has worn them lots. In fact I think he may now need a pair in a different colour. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 28 Jan 2014 20:03

grannyM wrote:OH has a pair of 'zip offs' for just such occasions, as Geoff describes, and has worn them lots. In fact I think he may now need a pair in a different colour. :)

He could 'mix and match' with the bottoms of the two pairs and start a new fashion! :lol:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 28 Jan 2014 20:07

judgegeoff wrote:
grannyM wrote:OH has a pair of 'zip offs' for just such occasions, as Geoff describes, and has worn them lots. In fact I think he may now need a pair in a different colour. :)

He could 'mix and match' with the bottoms of the two pairs and start a new fashion! :lol:

Yes, he could start a 'trend'. :lol:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Barry » 28 Jan 2014 20:22

Wansbrough wrote:I have just bought a pair of Craghopper Kiwi Trousers to cover my options.

You keep your options covered lad, it can be risky at any time of year if you don't :!:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Postby tomvet » 28 Jan 2014 20:50

I found in UAE and in Egypt that I wore zip off trousers and regular shirt and OH used to wear a sarong in places of worship etc!

Leave your mankini at home!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Camela » 29 Jan 2014 00:15

Had a week at a resort in Muscat. My guys - OH and 2 sons wore chinos and tee shirts for excursions. I 'boobed' and had to go back to hotel to get pashmina to cover head/arms when visiting the Mosque. Otherwise no problems. Oman was a bit annoying as in other Muslim countries we've found that scarves are provided when visiting religious places.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Next