Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Wadi Rum from Aqaba - 8 April 2014

Wadi Rum from Aqaba - 8 April 2014

Postby octocruiser » 25 Apr 2014 13:59

Our visit Petra was pretty energetic as there was a lot of walking and we really hadn't had time to wander and see all that could have been seen.

We started early in the morning so at least started in slightly more comfortable temperatures and got back to the nearby hotel where lunch had been arranged by about 1pm. It sounds as if Wansborough woud have arrived later when the temps were soaring, so indeed would be very tiring.

Friends have told us that the best way to 'do' Petra is to stay overnight at one of the hotels there and get down early to the site and catch the Treasury and other highlights in the best light, and also go in the evening and see the night descend.

You do need to read up about it in advance as timing is quite important to get the best out of the visit.

We didn't have the luxury of an overnight stay near the site but it was certainly a visit we would not have missed.

We also visited St Catherines Monastry while in Aqaba which was also very interesting. I'm not sure if that could be combined with Wadi on one day and Petra on the other? It was over Easter when we were there and very crowded, with lots of local as well as overeseas tourists.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyoscar » 25 Apr 2014 16:29

Stunning photos, W, what an amazing place.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 25 Apr 2014 17:35

Absolutely fantastic photos W. We haven't been to Wadi Rum yet but we must now. (And thanks for another example of a beautifully presented post!)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Wadi Rum from Aqaba - 8 April 2014

Postby avidcruiser » 25 Apr 2014 19:57

Loved your photos, many thanks.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby grannyM » 05 May 2014 09:53

My goodness the colours in these photographs are incredible. I noticed you said somewhere else about your 'amateur' offerings. They don't look amateur compared to my amateur! These look like something out of a travel magazine. Incredible.

I'm sure you will both have some wonderful memories of this cruise. Thanks for sharing them with us. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 29 May 2014 12:48

grannyM wrote:My goodness the colours in these photographs are incredible. I noticed you said somewhere else about your 'amateur' offerings. They don't look amateur compared to my amateur! These look like something out of a travel magazine. Incredible.

I'm sure you will both have some wonderful memories of this cruise. Thanks for sharing them with us. :D

Thanks for that M, Mrs W has already hinted that she would do this itinerary again. :D Perhaps the opposite way round next time and maybe Egypt will be back on the list.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous