Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A bit of local variety!

A bit of local variety!

A bit of local variety!

Postby Dave » 15 Jul 2021 15:24

I wasn't entirely sure where I was going to go when I set off this morning. I've done some coastal walks recently, so I decided to head in the opposite direction - first down Golden Hill, then along Bogshole Lane.

There's a path off Bogshole Lane that leads to the woods, but the first field usually has cows in it (although I hadn't seen any there recently). Before I got there, I decided that if the way was clear, then I'd head up to the woods. If it wasn't, then I'd continue along Boghole Lane and head towards the hamlets of Yorkletts and Dargate to the west.

There were cows with calves in the field, so west it was!

I went through Yorkletts, then took a byway that bypassed Dargate...

By now, I'd decided that my route was to be a big circuit. I'd take quiet lanes as far as Boughton-under-Blean, then go along the A2 dual-carriageway towards Canterbury for about a mile so that I could return home through woods and farmland.

This is a typical quiet country lane... ;)

The lane is called Crockham Road and there are wonderful views from the top across the orchards towards Hernhill:

Nearing Boughton-under-Blean, I turned off up Dawes Road where there are some of my favourite views to the left, and woods to the right:

I don't really mind using paths by the side of busy roads. Hardly anyone uses them, and this one provided me with almost a mile of descent and steady running!

I went through Harbledown and managed the short, sharp climb to Rough Common and soon I was on the good old Crab & Winkle Way with about 4 miles to go. The path crosses Sarre Penn (left) and goes past Blean Church and a signpost for the Canterbury Outer Ring (right):

About a mile further on, I passed through Walnut Tree Farm - cherries to the left and raspberries (I think) to the right...

A little way past the farm, I decided to leave the main track and take some little-used paths that are much nicer, but which can be quite muddy at times.

And sure enough, they were muddy! Normally, at this time of year, these paths would be nice and dry, but not today! There were few signs (if any) of foot traffic, but mountain bikes had certainly been churning up the mud - which is mostly clay around here.

Of course, I did my best to keep up a good pace (I like muddy trails!), and of course, I tripped on one of the brambles that lie in wait for careless runners. I fell, but didn't come off too badly. :)

The sun was beating down for the first two-thirds of the way, but then it began to cloud over and I was quite relieved - I'd not taken enough drink and I was starting to run out with a few miles still to go. My problem is that I often set off thinking I'll do a certain distance, only to do more than I'd thought. Still - I must hydrate better!

This morning's circuit was a few yards under 17 miles (door-to-door) and the elevation gain was 1,100ft. It took 3 hrs 45 mins, and the average speed was just over 4.5mph.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

A bit of local variety!

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Jul 2021 10:51

Looks a great route, Dave, with wonderful views. But double up on the water next time! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: A bit of local variety!

Postby rdw123 » 17 Jul 2021 08:55

Well done Dave. Remember more water next time. Hope you have got over your tumble. Hard to believe that such lovely countryside exists in a very busy part of the country.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Re: A bit of local variety!

Postby Dave » 18 Jul 2021 09:16

rdw123 wrote:... Hard to believe that such lovely countryside exists in a very busy part of the country.

It's funny, but I never think of Kent as being busy. Apart from Canterbury, which is the size of an average town, the nearest city is about 50 miles away. We don't even have a top-flight football club in Kent!

No, the busy part of the country lies to the north - the Midlands and the North-West - cities and motorways everywhere. We sometimes drive past them on our way to quieter places! ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Walk reports and guides