Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Joys of Walking!

The Joys of Walking!

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 30 Apr 2021 17:18

Camela wrote:Was there a choice of colours? I'd have been tempted with a buff Buff buff :D

:clap: I wish I'd thought of that!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 23 Jul 2021 15:49

It's been far too long since I last updated this topic. Back in the good old pre-pandemic days, I would boldly go to parts of Kent that I'd not been to before and report back, whereas nowadays I've got into the habit of staying local and revisiting my favourite spots. However... I figure that if a walk includes even a little bit that's new - as in, a path I've not taken before - then it fits the criteria. :)

With restrictions eased and the weather fine, we've got back into the routine of weekly walks with the family. My daughter enjoys seeing places that are just a few miles from where she lives, but which she has never visited - and my grandsons just like rushing around enjoying themselves! :)

This morning, we took them to Bridge, near Canterbury, for a 6 mile circuit through some of our favourite countryside and somewhere we've passed through several times recently on much longer walks and runs. We parked in a spacious, convenient lay-by just outside Bridge and headed off across the fields to Patrixbourne. From there, we passed Higham Park and went through Highland Court Farm and on to Bishopsbourne. Then we crossed Bourne Park to Bridge and walked up the high street back to our cars.

My daughter and me crossing a field of wheat on the way to Patrixbourne:

One of three fords that cross the Nailbourne river in Patrixbourne. My grandsons are trying to decide if it's worth risking the wet way, my daughter is taking the footbridge, and my wife is just watching proceedings...

Walking beside one of the many orchards near Highlands Court Farm:

For some reason, the boys climbed every gate along the way. The imposing building in the distance is Bourne House - most places and things around here are called 'bourne'-something-or-other!

If only more landowners maintained such excellent paths (cows were in an adjacent field):

As I've mentioned once or twice before, the Nailbourne is an intermittent river. Here, in Bourne Park it has retreated underground once more...

...although in some places the crystal-clear water is still flowing:

And it's also still gurgling along nicely on its way through Bridge:

A brilliant walk in a beautiful area - and a couple of hundred yards along footpaths I'd not walked before! :)

(Incidentally, the 'parks' I've referred to here are of the stately home variety, not the other sort. ;) )
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Joys of Walking!

Postby Camela » 23 Jul 2021 21:19

It is uplifting to see one's grand children being free and uninhibited - oh, for childhood again!!
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 Jul 2021 11:34

How lovely to see a family, out and about, enjoying themselves together, instead of the kids hunched over
their various devices. And a scenic route to boot! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

The Joys of Walking!

Postby Dave » 24 Jul 2021 11:44

Gillzajoker wrote:How lovely to see a family, out and about, enjoying themselves together, instead of the kids hunched over
their various devices. And a scenic route to boot! :D

Quite a lot of the time they were running around like Sonic (the Hedgehog) and the first thing they did on getting back to their car was switch on their Nintendo! :lol:
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous