Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Sandwich and The Royal St George's Golf Club

Sandwich and The Royal St George's Golf Club

Sandwich and The Royal St George's Golf Club

Postby Dave » 12 Jun 2017 18:49

I've done a couple of walks in the Sandwich area before, but most of this route was new to me.

The plan was to park on the beach by a private residential estate then follow the England Coast Path to the mouth of the River Stour. Then I would follow the river into Sandwich, take a look at a nature reserve called Gazen Salts, do a lap of Sandwich on the old town wall, then return across the famous golf course. Things didn't quite go to plan because I couldn't quite get to the mouth of the Stour thanks to 'sensitive wildlife', and the Gazen Salts nature reserve was closed due to flooding (I think that was the reason).

The dot on the map shows where I parked. There's a toll of £7 to enter the estate by car, but (despite lots of moans on TripAdvisor!) I think it's money well spent. Parking all day in Sandwich costs about £7 so it costs much the same for long term parking...

...and it's a lot nicer to park by an empty beach than in a car park. Mine is the only car in sight. :D

The beach on the way towards Pegwell Bay is rarely visited and therefore completely unspoilt.

The OS map shows a named public footpath (the Stour Valley Walk) going about half-a-mile beyond this point, but the sign was quite clear. :(

I headed towards Sandwich along the new England Coast Path. This is a national trail but for much of the way the path was barely visible. And to make matters worse, there were nettles in the grass!

Eventually I reached the Stour just before it enters Sandwich.

Sandwich is a lovely old town with many wonderful buildings. Here I'm heading for a nature reserve outside town but when I got there I found it was closed due to severe damage caused by flooding. So I found the town wall and did a lap...

...before crossing The Royal St George's Golf Club. I enjoy walking across golf courses - and most seem to have public rights of way passing through them. :D

The sign says to "...be aware of golfers approaching from the left." Er, why? :think:

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Walk reports and guides