Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021

Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021

Postby Dave » 09 Jun 2021 18:41

There are just 10 days to go until the Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021 and we're getting very excited! :)

As I mentioned elsewhere, we've entered the 55km event, which follows the North Downs Way between Wye (a lovely old village near Ashford) and Dover (finishing at the castle!) and taking in Canterbury, where the 25km event ends and the 35km event starts. The 'Pilgrims' part of the name also refers to Pilgrims Hospices, which has its headquarters in Canterbury, and this is a charity event to raise money for a very worthy cause.

We received our event packs a couple of days ago. The entry fees included t-shirts that we've been asked to wear on the day and they're excellent quality (I tried mine today on a very warm 14 mile walk). We also chose to buy Pilgrims Hospices buffs, because one can never have too many buffs! ;)

Participants will set off in small batches with those who expect to be quicker going earlier to reduce overtaking. Starting waves are A to L and we were surprised to have been put in B (we said we'd average 3.4mph) so we'll be underway no later than 8am.

We've never done an organised event before, so we've had to buy some stuff that's mandatory but which we certainly wouldn't have bought otherwise - such as little red lights for when it gets dark. Carrying head torches is also compulsory, but we've both got those anyway. With sunset being around 9.15pm and with us hoping to finish before 5pm, lights do seem a bit OTT - but of course it's better to be safe than sorry (we're taking a foil blanket as well!). We've also bought sunscreen lotion wipes to go in our first aid pack along with bite and sting lotion, Compeed blister plasters and so on. Oh yes, and we've got some Tailwind endurance fuel sachets! Now, what have we forgotten..? ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 10 Jun 2021 10:24

Wow! Some ex-boy scout probably came up with those rules and regs. :lol: Very best of luck! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021

Postby Camela » 10 Jun 2021 19:02

I have my chosen charities which I support on a regular basis but also like to make small donations to other charities when their fund raising catches my eye. I will gladly do so for Pilgims Hospices, Dave. I'm sure you will be stars on the walk!!
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 11 Jun 2021 15:12

Camela wrote:I have my chosen charities which I support on a regular basis but also like to make small donations to other charities when their fund raising catches my eye. I will gladly do so for Pilgims Hospices, Dave. I'm sure you will be stars on the walk!!

Thanks Camela. :)

We have personal reasons for supporting Pilgrims Hospices and know how amazing they are. :thumbup:
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 11 Jun 2021 22:06

Done!
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 12 Jun 2021 09:02

Camela wrote:Done!

Thank you! :D
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 12 Jun 2021 15:08

With just a week to go before the Pilgrims Way Challenge, we decided to do a sort of test run this morning by loading up our packs with what we think we'll carry on the day and wearing the same gear.

My wife is doing the Saxon Shore Half Marathon tomorrow, so we settled on a gentle 10 mile walk through local woods and fields so as not to wear her out... ;)

I loaded my 15l pack with: rain jacket, buff/facemask, sun cap, spare (thin) socks, first aid essentials, sun cream sachets, head torch, rear red light, phone, soft drinks cup, flapjacks (3), gels (3), bag of crisps (2), baby food (apple & mango!), hand sanitiser, cash, card & key. For hydration, I had a full Osprey 1.5l bladder (I'll add an electrolyte tablet on the day) and a 500ml soft bottle containing an OTE energy drink.

At quite a bit over 2kg, the pack felt heavy when handling it, but the weight almost disappeared when I put it on. With there being aid stations along the route, I might reduce the bladder contents to 1l depending on the weather forecast.

Crossing a field of wheat. This path is part of the Canterbury Outer Ring 22 mile circuit:

Our route today took us along many paths that were lined with nettles and brambles and our bare legs (especially mine!) were in a right state by the time we'd finished! :(

Stopping for a photo-op on the edge of a field of barley. I love barley!

One of our favourite woodland paths where we met... no-one! :)

The gear test was a big success in that everything felt just right and we couldn't think of anything we'd forgotten.

Near the end, we passed a couple of people who noticed our t-shirts and told us they were doing the Pilgrims Way Challenge too. We've made some new friends already. :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 13 Jun 2021 11:29

Nice photos, Dave - especially the one through the woods. Was amazed at how much you are going to
carry - would think you would manage a trek up the Amazon with that lot! But I know you will have
done your homework :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Camela » 13 Jun 2021 16:12

Wow, your packing for a run looks like my cruise packing list!! Also I'm intrigued about your meeting on the woodland path!!
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England