Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A week's walking on and around Dartmoor!

A week's walking on and around Dartmoor!

Postby Dave » 16 Sep 2020 21:54

This Friday, we're off to Devon for a week's walking holiday. :)

We booked a cottage in Lydford for an Easter holiday way back in February. Then the world changed and, rather than cancel, we moved the booking to September in the hope that things would be back to normal by then. Things aren't, but it looks as if our holiday - and our only trip away this year - is going ahead.

I've planned 7 walks for the week using what has become a tried and tested method.

I bought two OS Outstanding Circular Walks guides (South Devon and Dartmoor, and Dartmoor) on Amazon and copied a small selection of walks that looked promising. I also modified some other OS walks to make them longer and I worked out a couple of walks from scratch too. We'll also explore the immediate area with a view to doing a few local runs. It promises to be an active week!

It's been a long time since I last used Tapatalk to post to the forum while we're on holiday, so I hope it still works as it should. If all goes well, I'll update this topic from time to time... :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 17 Sep 2020 07:28

Have a great time Dave and Fred, we look forward to reading your updates. :thumbup:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 17 Sep 2020 11:37

Hope you have a wonderful time, and look forward to hearing about it, with lots of great pics. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: A week's walking on and around Dartmoor!

Postby Camela » 19 Sep 2020 17:26

Enjoy your trip. We spent 3 days in Shropshire last week and it was brilliant to have a change of scenery. The hotels and restaurants were well-organised and staff genuinely pleased to welcome guests. What a pity if we return to square one as I am already making tentative plans for another short trip next month.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 19 Sep 2020 17:50

Just a brief update from Devon for now...

The journey was terrible! Especially the A303!! Endless queues and jams!!!

But we love the cottage, Lydford, and everything else about Devon. :-)

Today, we had planned to walk along a path called the Granite Way to a car park at Meldon Reservoir to get a feel for the area and to check out the likelihood of getting a parking space for our walk tomorrow from there to High Willhays and Yes Tor.

But a few miles into the walk, we decided to combine the two walks and ended up doing the two big hills plus Black Tor plus Meldon Reservoir and Meldon Viaduct all from Lydford - making a round trip of 18.5 miles with lots of ascent!

One photo for now: me on top of the highest point in southern England in a very stiff breeze!

We'll probably do something less energetic tomorrow. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 20 Sep 2020 11:05

That's a wonderful photo, Dave! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 20 Sep 2020 14:13

Gillzajoker wrote:That's a wonderful photo, Dave! :D
Thanks Gill. :-)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 20 Sep 2020 14:24

After yesterday's long trek to climb some tors, we decided to do a shorter trek today... to climb a couple more! :)

Again we walked directly from Lydford. We started by visiting Widgery Cross on Brat Tor, before continuing on to Great Links Tor, which we agreed is the most aesthetically pleasing summit we've ever seen!

Widgery Cross:

Great Links Tor:

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 Sep 2020 14:20

Wow, I see what you mean. Pity it wasn't a nice sunny day, though. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2020 16:33

The weather forecast for today was good, so we did another moorland walk. We started at Princetown in the middle of Dartmoor and did a long, exposed circuit on what turned out to be an extremely warm day.

As on the previous walks, we climbed a few tors. Today we did Ingra Tor, Sharpitor and Leather Tor.

The photo for Ingra Tor has me standing beside the summit rock. I'd stupidly tried climbing it but I fell off and was lucky to only suffer some scrapes and a bruising to my pride!

Much of the walk was across bleak moors in the hot sun, with the highlights being in the area near Leather Tor. We loved some of the incredible rock formations:

I was pleased not to fall off this one! :)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next