Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Charity walks in 2021

Charity walks in 2021

Charity walks in 2021

Postby Dave » 03 Apr 2021 16:43

So far, my wife and I have signed up for two charity events taking place this year: the Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021 and the 2021 London Marathon.

Pilgrims Way Challenge 2021

pilgrimshospices.org website wrote:Join the popular Pilgrims Way Challenge and enjoy the rural beauty of one of England’s oldest and least-trodden national trails. Starting from the picturesque village of Wye, nestled in the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, follow the Pilgrims Way, through the scenic Stour Valley, to the historic cathedral city of Canterbury. Along the way you’ll pass through ancient woodland, rolling fields and charming villages, as well as a few challenging climbs through the undulating geography of the Garden of England.

The event takes place on Saturday, 19th June and is limited to 800 participants. Three distances are on offer: 25km, 35km and 55km (we're doing the 55km). Entry costs £30 (£45 on the day) and includes various goodies including an official t-shirt that walkers are encouraged to wear on the day. Running is being permitted for the first time this year, so perhaps we'll try to jog the long final descent into Dover!

I've always said that I didn't want to walk in a mass event, but everything else about the Pilgrims Way Challenge was too tempting to miss!

Find out more here: https://www.pilgrimshospices.org/event/pilgrims-way-challenge-2021/

2021 London Marathon

Following the huge success of last year's Virtual London Marathon, a virtual event is again taking place - this time alongside the actual, real life race on Sunday, 3rd October. Same day, same distance, different place. :)

My wife managed to get both of us places. She will be travelling to London for the race and will attempt to run the distance. I will be doing my own marathon route along the North Downs Way (as I did last year) and try to beat my previous time by running as much as I can manage! I should stress that it is entirely acceptable to run or walk the London Marathon in any combination!

Find out more here: https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Charity walks in 2021

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Apr 2021 10:37

Pleased to hear you have been accepted for both events, but I think the Pilgrim's Way
offers the most appeal. Are you doing a separate sponsorship on either of them? :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Charity walks in 2021

Postby Dave » 05 Apr 2021 08:49

Gillzajoker wrote:Pleased to hear you have been accepted for both events, but I think the Pilgrim's Way
offers the most appeal. Are you doing a separate sponsorship on either of them? :D

There's not a lot of difference for me, since I'll be on the North Downs Way for both. However, Fred's doing the real London Marathon, which I'm sure I really wouldn't enjoy because I hate crowds and noise!

Regarding sponsorship, we'll be focusing on the Pilgrim's Hospice walk since we support them anyway. The LM is more about brownie points and a medal!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Charity walks in 2021

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Apr 2021 12:01

There's not a lot of difference for me, since I'll be on the North Downs Way for both. However, Fred's doing the real London Marathon, which I'm sure I really wouldn't enjoy because I hate crowds and noise!

Regarding sponsorship, we'll be focusing on the Pilgrim's Hospice walk since we support them anyway. The LM is more about brownie points and a medal![/quote]

Certainly agree with you there - which is why we live way out in the sticks.

Exactly the answer I expected from you! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain