Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Two go trail running together!

Two go trail running together!

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 May 2021 12:21

Looks a lovely track through the woods, but don't envy you the rain. To me, wet = miserable! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 23 May 2021 15:37

I'm feeling very pleased with myself, because this morning we did a half-marathon which was my longest trail run yet - 13.4 miles in 2hrs 54mins. :)

We've recently done two extremely enjoyable trail runs that began with train journeys, so we used a train again. We parked at Canterbury West station and took the train to Wye, three stops down the line and right on the North Downs Way. And then we followed the NDW all the way back to Canterbury.

Leaving Wye across level, aromatic fields and heading for the Downs. It was a chilly start and I wore my new and very bright jacket for the first couple of miles. I was pleased to note that the jacket matches my socks perfectly ;) :

Our favourite part of King's Wood where the beech trees are. That's me in the distance - I often carry on while my wife takes a photo, because she can catch up with me very easily!

We spotted our first slow worm of the year...

One of my favourite spots on the North Downs Way and certainly the scene I've photographed more than any other.

The track rises steeply by the row of trees...

...and my wife ran to the top without stopping. I prefer to walk up hills (which is just as well because I don't have a choice!):

My final photo shows one of the vast fruit farms in this part of Kent - the Garden of England.

The weather was very kind to us today. There was a breeze going the same way as we were going and it was neither too warm nor too cold. And it started to rain just as we got back to the car.

This was the very same route that we'll be following in less than four weeks from now for the Pilgrims Challenge 2021, except that on that occasion there'll still be more than 20 miles to go. It's mostly downhill to Dover though..! :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 May 2021 10:13

Well done to you both! Love slow worms - back in Wales we had a large rockery with a waterfall cascading into a pond, and they were often seen sunning themselves on good days, and hiding in little nooks and crannies when it was wet. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 06 Jun 2021 16:14

Just a quick write-up of this morning's run... :)

We've really enjoyed using a train on our weekend runs, so we did it yet again today. This time, we drove to Wye and took the train to Charing - a 20 minute journey calling at Ashford International - so that we could run and walk back to Wye along the North Downs Way. We arrived in Wye and parked with about 40 minutes to spare, so we walked around the village a couple of times for a warm-up!

The NDW passes Charing along a high ridge about a mile away, which meant walking uphill to join it before we did any running. Then, although the way was undulating, the trend was gently downhill and we spent more time running than we sometimes do. The distance (not including our stroll around Wye!) was exactly 8 miles.

Here, we're killing time on a bridge over the Great Stour right next to the railway station in Wye. The pub is called the 'Tickled Trout'! :)

A view from the North Downs Way. There's a huge vineyard to the right, but we couldn't get a clear view for a photo until we'd almost passed it:

Crossing a lovely field of wheat near Westwell:

Eastwell Lake and beautiful Lake House, which apparently dates from the 13th century:

Our run this morning took us through some of Kent's best countryside, but it had another purpose too - it served as my entry for the virtual Vitality London 10,000 for which I'll get a medal and a t-shirt! :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Jun 2021 11:35

Whooo-hooo - fame at last! :lol: And yet again I enjoyed your photos of the wonderful scenery. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous

Return to Trail running