Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Posting your Stateroom Bill on an open forum!

Posting your Stateroom Bill on an open forum!

Postby tomvet » 08 Nov 2015 22:27

Elsewhere, actually twice elsewhere I have come across posters who have posted their entire Stateroom bill on an open forum. In both instances it was to illustrate a point (picture speaks louder than words!), however, it did not necessitate posting the entire bill detailing other spends and the total spent on board. Much of the non-relevant information could have been blanked out!

I thought it all a little pretentious! :roll: Its up there with, how much did your cruise cost conversation at the dinner table! :twisted: :roll:

Would you post your entire bill on an open forum?
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Posting your Stateroom Bill on an open forum!

Postby Tiggy » 08 Nov 2015 22:40

I can't think of a reason why our boring bill would be of interest, unless there was some enormous gaff in it? :? If I had to I would probably cover up everything other than relevant points.
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 08 Nov 2015 23:07

Hmm... :think: Was the purpose to show how much they spent? That is, to show how much they spent on booze? I know from spending time on other forums (but no longer!) that some people seem to be strangely proud of how much alcohol they manage to consume. :roll:

Having said that, I was tempted to post our last statement on the forum. We had a 'free' AI package and the statement consisted almost entirely of £0.00 entries. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 08 Nov 2015 23:10

Dave wrote:Hmm... :think: Was the purpose to show how much they spent? That is, to show how much they spent on booze? I know from spending time on other forums (but no longer!) that some people seem to be strangely proud of how much alcohol they manage to consume. :roll:

Having said that, I was tempted to post our last statement on the forum. We had a 'free' AI package and the statement consisted almost entirely of £0.00 entries. :D

........ and no Thomson grats! What's left? OH yeah! Shore excursions! Like the over priced Gondola trip in Venice where you were ripped off!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby dst87 » 09 Nov 2015 02:05

I wouldn't care about sharing what my on board spend was, but I can't think that many people would actually care.

If someone asked, I would tell them. I wouldn't feel the need to prove it by uploading an image of it though.

As an experiment I have attempted to keep track of what the drinks I had would have cost while on a package, as a way to evaluate the value of the package. I haven't actually succeeded in this yet, but I guess that might be something I'd share.

What was the context of it. I just can't imagine why it would be relevant. Were they asked what their on board spend was?
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 09 Nov 2015 02:14

dst87 wrote:I wouldn't care about sharing what my on board spend was, but I can't think that many people would actually care.

If someone asked, I would tell them. I wouldn't feel the need to prove it by uploading an image of it though.

As an experiment I have attempted to keep track of what the drinks I had would have cost while on a package, as a way to evaluate the value of the package. I haven't actually succeeded in this yet, but I guess that might be something I'd share.

What was the context of it. I just can't imagine why it would be relevant. Were they asked what their on board spend was?

The person asked how their OBC would be managed. MSC was the cruise line in question. OBC can only be used against OB spend. In other words if you have €50 OBC and you pre-purchase a shore trip or drinks package before boarding, you cannot offset the credit against the cost. The bill was posted to demonstrate that other costs like service charges, booking excursions on board, shop purchases on board could be used against the credit.

In the other instance it was comparing cruising to land based holidays - the poster posted his room bill showing that he had bought credit.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby dst87 » 09 Nov 2015 02:30

tomvet wrote:The person asked how their OBC would be managed. MSC was the cruise line in question. OBC can only be used against OB spend. In other words if you have €50 OBC and you pre-purchase a shore trip or drinks package before boarding, you cannot offset the credit against the cost. The bill was posted to demonstrate that other costs like service charges, booking excursions on board, shop purchases on board could be used against the credit.

In the other instance it was comparing cruising to land based holidays - the poster posted his room bill showing that he had bought credit.

Yeah, see it seems to be that posting a copy of the bill didn't actually add any additional information that couldn't have been simply explained as you have just explained it to me.

People explain how OBC and various other charges work all the time on cruise forums and don't need to resort to posting a bill to offer an example. In fact I'd imagine a larger bill with many charges and credits in different places could detract from the explanation if it wasn't immediately obvious what was being shown.

Sounds like someone showing off in a humble-brag sort of way. Was their bill impressively large? :lol: ;)
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 09 Nov 2015 10:57

dst87 wrote:
tomvet wrote:The person asked how their OBC would be managed. MSC was the cruise line in question. OBC can only be used against OB spend. In other words if you have €50 OBC and you pre-purchase a shore trip or drinks package before boarding, you cannot offset the credit against the cost. The bill was posted to demonstrate that other costs like service charges, booking excursions on board, shop purchases on board could be used against the credit.

Yeah, see it seems to be that posting a copy of the bill didn't actually add any additional information that couldn't have been simply explained as you have just explained it to me.

People explain how OBC and various other charges work all the time on cruise forums and don't need to resort to posting a bill to offer an example. In fact I'd imagine a larger bill with many charges and credits in different places could detract from the explanation if it wasn't immediately obvious what was being shown.

Sounds like someone showing off in a humble-brag sort of way. Was their bill impressively large? :lol: ;)

Speaking as a cruising tightwad, YES! :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 10 Nov 2015 12:49

Having just stpped of Azamara Journey, I would happily posr our cabin (sorry, stateroom :roll: ) bill.

The trouble is, we didn't have one beccause we spent absolutely nothing, zilch. :)

Everything we wanted was included in the cruise fare, includng grats.

That hasn't happened since we were on Seabourne 3 years ago,

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Grumbles