Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Any real benefit to the ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise?

Any real benefit to the ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise?

Any real benefit to the ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise?

Postby tomvet » 12 Nov 2015 00:14

We have completed one of the itineraries and are open to doing the other, however it has set me thinking about the value of a ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise.

Fortuna.jpg
Luminosa.jpg

Considering you have to pack, sort yourself out and get a good night sleep particularly if you are kicked out of the cabins at 05:30 in the case of the Dubai cruise (since they disembark the ship by 0800 to re-embark at 0900 for drill at 1200 for sailaway at 1300) - do you really get the benefit of an overnight in port at the end of the cruise as opposed to overnighting in port mid cruise like in St Petersburg and Muscat in the above itineraries.

I do know on our Dubai cruise we were clock watching to be back onboard to pack and sort things out which did detract from our enjoyment of the city lights and sights at night! We could and wanted to do more! :D

Furthermore in the Baltic itinerary the ship spends its first and last night in Stockholm - is this overkill? Could another port e.g. Visby be squeezed in on day 7 with the ship arriving in Stockholm on day 8 for immediate embarkation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 12 Nov 2015 00:28

I guess that depends on whether or not you have visited the last port of call before.

On Azamara, we overnighted in Barcelona before disembarking which suited us well.

We have both been to Barcelona a few times and felt that we had pretty much seen all we wanted to see.

On that basis, we just spent a few hours of the ship walking down Las Ramblas, stopping for a leisurely coffee and cake and watching the world go by.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 12 Nov 2015 00:56

On our recent Turkey and Greece "Voyager" cruise we did an overnight in Istanbul on embarking and another overnight in Piraeus (Athens) before disembarking. As we were on a 'package' which included flights, we were very happy to have these overnights as it gave us the chance to do excursion tours of these interesting cities. We had been to neither of the ports before and so the overnights were very welcome.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 12 Nov 2015 08:41

JollyJill wrote:I guess that depends on whether or not you have visited the last port of call before.

On Azamara, we overnighted in Barcelona before disembarking which suited us well.

We have both been to Barcelona a few times and felt that we had pretty much seen all we wanted to see.

On that basis, we just spent a few hours of the ship walking down Las Ramblas, stopping for a leisurely coffee and cake and watching the world go by.

My thoughts exactly Jill as we had been several times before, but would not have liked it overnighting on the last day had it been a first visit to that Port, as you are under pressure remembering the dreaded packing has to be done :roll:
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 12 Nov 2015 10:05

I don't have a definitive answer because much depends on timings, but on the whole - yes, I do see a benefit of overnighting on the last (or the first) night of a cruise - if it's a fly-cruise, that is.

On our first cruise from Barbados we spent a day in port before the ship set sail the following day. If we hadn't, we wouldn't have spent a brilliant day on a Barbados beach - in fact we wouldn't really have appreciated being in Barbados at all.

By contrast, we once ended a cruise in Montreal - a great place to visit I'm sure, but we didn't stay overnight so we saw very little of the city - we just had time for a quick explore in the morning before going to the airport to come home.

We started and ended a cruise in Savona, which looked really nice from the ship but we didn't see it properly until the following year when it was a port of call from Civitavecchia. And we only spent a day in Rome when we sailed from Savona, not when we sailed from Civitavecchia!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Any real benefit to the ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise?

Postby tomvet » 12 Nov 2015 10:34

I suppose if the ship docks on day -1 early in the morning, you could treat it as a regular port day - go ashore, see what you would normally do from 0900 to 1700 for a normal port day and then come aboard and pack, have dinner, show and go to bed (not necessarily in that order!). So you do see the port but not any after dark sights / events so no added advantage of overnighting!

If we feel the final port has something to offer, rather than making a mad dash to the airport we very often consider a 1 -3 night post cruise stay. Coincidentally when we disembarked in Savona we did fly straight home and is the one port we have seen absolutely nothing of, only the inside of the train station and what can be seen from a taxi on the journey from port to station - which was zilch!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Any real benefit to the ship overnighting in port on the last night of your cruise?

Postby Camela » 12 Nov 2015 12:55

I think the benefit is to the cruise line as they get 24 hours extra for the turn round and possibly enabling a little more time off for some of the crew.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 12 Nov 2015 13:19

Further to my earlier post, another benefit can be embarkation being spread over two days, resulting in faster check-in and a less crowded safety drill. :thumbup:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jocap » 12 Nov 2015 20:51

Dave wrote:Further to my earlier post, another benefit can be embarkation being spread over two days, resulting in faster check-in and a less crowded safety drill. :thumbup:

Yes, as happens with the P&O big ships in the Caribbean. The first day arrivals have the evening in Barbados; the 2nd day arrivals have their overnight at the end of the cruise. That means that half the passengers arrive and go, earlier, but can stay on board until it's time for the airport. It must be easier for the staff with these massive ships.
If it was an overnight at a home port, though, I wonder how many of us would think- ah, blow it- I'm taking my cases and collecting the car at midnight so I can drive home on empty roads? I think we probably would... :? :evil:
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom