Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby jocap » 18 Nov 2015 20:39

No, not the story we've heard so many times about the dress being pinched from the launderettes and appearing on someone else on formal night.
This one I've heard so many times...the cruise line won't put out the stabilisers because of the extra fuel costs.
The captain on Azura was challenged on that one, and he said it just wasn't true- one of his jobs was to look after the safety of passengers, crew and property (I can imagine the court cases!), so he always put out the stabilisers in adverse weather. Last night I heard this again...that RCI always uses stabilisers, but P&O hardly ever, because of the cost. I thought- yawn- :roll:
The other thing I've heard, twice this week, is that ("I've been told by the staff....") that Ventura is poor in rough weather because she has a FLAT BOTTOM!. I even checked various pictures of Grand Class ships in dry dock, including V, and no, they all have a knife edge to them.
It's a bit like the steward warning you that he only gets a dollar a day and has 6 hungry mouths to fill.... :?
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby JollyJill » 18 Nov 2015 21:11

I think the yarn I've heard most frequently is the fight in launderette. :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby tobysgranny » 18 Nov 2015 23:41

The one tale I can almost believed to be true is the fight in the launderette having used the one on QE last year. I could have quite happily put one little lady in a washing machine. Every time I went in there ( we were in the ship for 28 nights) this little lady was in there and she kept interfering with everyone's washing machines and dryers. She managed to switch off my washing machine and tumble drier, trying to be helpful!!! I only discovered this after about half an hour when I checked to see how my washing was doing. She was a nightmare! One night I was in there trying to iron some shirts while at the same time she was trying to draw a picture using the end of the ironing board as a table. I often wonder if she made it to the end of her trip as she was going all the way round on the world cruise or did someone strangle her?

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby adogap » 19 Nov 2015 09:02

Prior to leaving La Caruna this week, crew were urgently trying establish the whereabouts of 4 passengers.QE left on time but rumour had it without 4 guests.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby octocruiser » 19 Nov 2015 09:31

tobysgranny wrote:The one tale I can almost believed to be true is the fight in the launderette having used the one on QE last year. I could have quite happily put one little lady in a washing machine. Every time I went in there ( we were in the ship for 28 nights) this little lady was in there and she kept interfering with everyone's washing machines and dryers. She managed to switch off my washing machine and tumble drier, trying to be helpful!!! I only discovered this after about half an hour when I checked to see how my washing was doing. She was a nightmare! One night I was in there trying to iron some shirts while at the same time she was trying to draw a picture using the end of the ironing board as a table. I often wonder if she made it to the end of her trip as she was going all the way round on the world cruise or did someone strangle her?

Joan

Funnily enough, the laundry punch up is the one I would be most likely to believe. On one cruise we were on every time I went into the launderette this same guy was in there - I think In his day job he was an HR manager. I asked him once if he had taken up residence and he said it was his job to do the laundry and his wife seemed to want something done every day :o Meeting him around the ship subsequently he always had a hilarious tale to tell about the latest brawl he had managed to break up in the launderette.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby grannyM » 19 Nov 2015 19:36

Urban myth about the launderette! - what about the one about the people getting put off the ship for fighting over a sun-bed?

Actually now that I think about it, it does seem as likely as a punch-up in a launderette. :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby tobysgranny » 19 Nov 2015 20:40

I think you may be right Marie.

I was told in no uncertain terms that if I left my cabin when I was confined by them I would be put off at the next port of call!

Joan

Still no word of any compensation surprising enough, I don't think!
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby jocap » 09 Mar 2016 17:57

grannyM wrote:Urban myth about the launderette! - what about the one about the people getting put off the ship for fighting over a sun-bed?

Actually now that I think about it, it does seem as likely as a punch-up in a launderette. :roll:

And- not just fighting over a sun bed, but throwing it overboard! It must be a P&O tradition because I've heard it on the last 3 cruises...
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby tobysgranny » 09 Mar 2016 19:04

jocap wrote:
grannyM wrote:Urban myth about the launderette! - what about the one about the people getting put off the ship for fighting over a sun-bed?

And- not just fighting over a sun bed, but throwing it overboard! It must be a P&O tradition because I've heard it on the last 3 cruises...

Having cruised with Cunard I quite understand the fighting in the launderette. There was one little lady I could have happily thrown overboard as she kept interfering with the machines. I was waiting for my wash to finish only to discover she had switched the machine off and I had sat there for half an hour for nothing. She was always in there every time I went. She was even drawing a picture and using the ironing board to lean on whilst I was trying to iron a shirt one evening. I'm sure she must have spent most of the cruise in there.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Urban (Cruising) Myths.

Postby keith6400 » 09 Mar 2016 19:50

Fights rarely occur on cruise ships. The launderette scenario seems plausible as a possible location for an altercation that gets out of hand but I feel it unlikely anyone would just happen to be in there with a camera. What would be the point, cruise ship washing machines lack the round window at the front which domestic machines have for added interest. There are general cruise ship fights on YouTube with titles such as "Carnival Breeze Girl Fight" which seem to have a good bit of action in them and guys carrying off their partner in a manner similar to a troglodyte to de-escalate the situation.

A theme running through these incidents seems to be cheaper, budget lines and young people on US cruise ships. I think the UK market does not go in for this sort of behaviour to such an extent and we merely have a verbal battle over things which know are right. When it comes to the clash the two British parties state their case in straight forward easy to understand language and point out the flaw in the other guys thinking. This allows both parties to withdraw knowing they have won and explaining the new words to their accompanying children who can add the new words to their A-Z of new words to say in an argument but not to mum.

Regards Keith
keith6400
Commander
Commander