Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is cruising spoiling me?

Is cruising spoiling me?

Re: Is cruising spoiling me?

Postby grannyM » 05 Dec 2015 12:01

Fossil wrote:What an excellent question and one that I have discussed recently with others. Like Jill I have been fortunate or unfortunate as the case may be to have stayed in hotels across the globe and standard of service not only differs with the grade but also the location. For example I have found that the service in top quality hotels in major cities is excellent but sometimes a bit "stiff and starchy" where as service at quality hotels found in the Caribbean is very friendly. Certainly I have found that in North America, India and where the staff are from Asia they have a "Can Do" attitude that seems to be lacking in some countries. I think the difference is that on ships they are queuing up to get the jobs so in the main ship workers will give 100% with a smile knowing that complaints will lead to their contract not being renewed. In general on ships a large proportion of the staff that have contact with the passengers come from countries where a smile comes naturally and they are not only used to giving good service but are happy to do so. Yes cruising has spoilt me to the extent that I find myself being more critical of shore based services than I used to be as people I meet from the forum know.

Before our last cruise on P&O Britannia I would have agreed with you Fossil. As usual we found any of the staff from the Philippines to display exactly what you said about smiling and good service. However the majority of the others all around the ship, mostly from India, did not. I suppose it is a measure of the usual standard of service and efficiency that we have experienced on all our other cruises that made this so obvious.

Incidentally we have just come back from a 7 night stay in Spain. The hotel was extremely well maintained, was spotlessly clean, the standard of food and entertainment was superb and the service at bars and in the restaurant could not be faulted. We have enjoyed many holidays at this resort in a different hotel in the same chain so we were pleased to find this one was equally good if not better than the usual one we have stayed in. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Is cruising spoiling me?

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Dec 2015 15:23

I haven't stayed in many hotels, (and the last time I had a proper stay was about 20 years ago. Pre and post-cruise I'm happy with the most basic as long as it is clean. As on a cruise I only shower and sleep in a cabin, if I should stay in a hotel I wouldn't want to spend more time in a room except for the same purposes, therefore for me, anything 'posher' I would consider a waste of money. But from my limited experience, I think yes, a cruise spoils me, and very grateful I am for it. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Peka » 05 Dec 2015 22:25

Hannah wrote:I have definitely been spoiled by cruise holidays for the same reasons as stated above. I don't necessarily mind hotels as they are still a treat. I get a bit low running the house again and eating food prepared by ourselves. Nice to have someone cook and clean for you.I would love to have a Filipino come home and look after us full time!!

That is the best bit ;)

I just think that land based is missing something.... the sea :lol: standing on the shore looking at it isn't the same.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Is cruising spoiling me?

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Dec 2015 16:49

And you definitly want a FilipinO and not a FilipinA, then ;)
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Peka » 06 Dec 2015 17:34

I don't know about Hannah, but credentials have been checked

Peka
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 06 Dec 2015 18:41

lost me there
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Dec 2015 16:24

Hannah wrote:lost me there

'Filipin' ending in A is female, ending in O is male, so Peka is just telling us that she has done a 'kit check' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Hannah » 07 Dec 2015 18:55

Ha ha I see. They are great workers. How was your cruise on the Iirica

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 07 Dec 2015 20:04

Gillzajoker wrote:
Hannah wrote:lost me there

'Filipin' ending in A is female, ending in O is male, so Peka is just telling us that she has done a 'kit check' :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: learnt something today!!! :lol: :lol:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 07 Dec 2015 20:41

:shock: :o :shock: :o
Peka

Peka