Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cruiselines cut costs ...... and then we have these?

Cruiselines cut costs ...... and then we have these?

Postby tomvet » 07 Dec 2015 23:25

In latter years, I don't think any of us have not noticed that cruise lines have introduced massive cost cutting and revenue generating initiatives in the face of ever decreasing fares in an effort to maintain profits in the competitive environment they operate within. Many such initiatives have been a source of annoyance for passengers e.g. charging for water at dinner, closing the buffet early in the evening, a reduction in quality of food offered, tea and coffee not available outside breakfast and tea time.

However, flying in the face of all this cost cutting, we experienced unnecessary expenses that could easily have been removed to make saving without us even noticing a compromise in service.

For example:

How many of us make use of the writing paper, envelopes and postcards on board?

Why issue passengers that purchase a water, classic or coffee package with paper vouchers, when the information could be held electronically? A saving in relation to printing costs and less hassle for the passenger, trying to mind them if they were dispensed with!

Do people really cover their drinks? Are there that many flies on board?

....... and it is not a case of the two glasses in the bathroom being covered. Each morning 5 glasses of room service breakfast orange juice were delivered to our room with a 'hat' :roll: :roll:

After 3 days on board we had a fine collection of 16!

As far as I am concerned cruise lines can take back the post cards, the writing materials, the paper vouchers, the 'hat' for drinking glasses etc etc, just give me a jug of tap water in return!!!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Cruiselines cut costs ...... and then we have these?

Postby Peka » 08 Dec 2015 00:04

I like to have a postcard to add to my collection.

I also have a paper hat thingy from Princess, I did use it to cover my glass of water by my bed for a little while... it is probably in my bedside drawer now :lol:

Vouchers for the drinks package... why can't they swipe your pass?

water... if it is potable should be freely available. :x
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 08 Dec 2015 00:32

OH believes the post cards are there since Adam was a boy and that they are not being replaced once used. Against that though, is that we were in a new Renaissance cabin that did not exist 6-8 months ago so they were putting them into cabins at least up to that time!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 08 Dec 2015 01:05

We find the paper glass hats useful for placing used tea bags in when the tea has brewed, either when brought by a steward or made in our cabin (on the few ships that still have this facility).
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 08 Dec 2015 01:55

What I do find useful from time to time is the sewing kit! But do you need two in a cabin?

Now if only I had a Kath to use it! ;)
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Hannah » 08 Dec 2015 04:30

Stationery and postcards I do use as saves looking for some as I still send to close family and friends every year.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 08 Dec 2015 05:35

On Royal Caribbean ships now beverage packages and loyalty discounts are on you Seapass Card and they have done away with the little discount books you used to get.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Trace » 08 Dec 2015 07:58

I always use the postcard to send to our grandchildren and put an arrow to our balcony, they love to receive them.... Although usually we are home before it arrives....

I like the sewing kit too, the rest I don't use.. Shower caps, shoe shiner, definitely the paper hats for glasses.. I think are a waste.
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 08 Dec 2015 08:52

tomvet wrote:...For example:

How many of us make use of the writing paper, envelopes and postcards on board? ...

I might not make much use of the notepad / writing paper on board, but I certainly use it at home. :)

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 08 Dec 2015 09:29

tomvet wrote:What I do find useful from time to time is the sewing kit! But do you need two in a cabin?

Now if only I had a Kath to use it! ;)

Kath never uses them. Kath takes her own copious supply of safety pins *. Kath doesn't 'do' bus man's holidays ;) ;)

* Kath takes a copious supply of all things DIY which she very rarely uses, but are frequently found to be of use to fellow passengers. :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Grumbles