Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is it time cruiselines stopped this potential litter hazard?

Is it time cruiselines stopped this potential litter hazard?

Postby tomvet » 08 Dec 2015 00:08

Cruise lines are great to trumpet their environmental exploits and their achievements. On our recent MSC Opera cruise, a constant sight in the ports was this:

..... a cruising excursion sticker stuck to the cobbled pavement in Monte, Madeira.

I did mention it to the shore excursion desk and asked if they were necessary at all. For starters, they represent a cost to MSC and secondly the same information could be given to the passenger on their excursion ticket.

The desk officer's response was that they were necessary so that staff could instantly recognise where the passenger was headed and staff could usher them to the correct bus etc. But why not ask to see their ticket and then direct them? Are passengers not resourceful enough to find the bus themselves?

She also said that MSC could not be responsible for passengers' littering behaviours. I take that point, however, when people do act irresponsibly particularly with an item that can be linked back to your company - don't give them the opportunity to mar your name. Simple solution - don't issue them in the first place!

The odd thing is that it is only MSC stickers that you see littered about the port areas. I can only put this down to three reasons (a) other cruise lines don't issue them, Thomson don't; (b) MSC use bad quality stickers that easily fall from the passenger's garment and (c) MSC attracts a particular type of passenger that does not respect the environment - hardly!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 08 Dec 2015 00:16

I almost always lose my badge when on excursions, so much so that I take them off my shirt once on the tour buses. I hate littering, you will always find my pockets full of waste tickets, sweet wrappers etc., and I do support Tom in wishing the cruise lines would do away with them.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Is it time cruiselines stopped this potential litter hazard?

Postby Peka » 08 Dec 2015 00:17

ah yes, the familiar sight of the MSC sticker, always know when they have recently called (or Costa) must be an Italian thing, do they get lost easily or something? maybe they should put reins on all their passengers and guide them round! Some possibly do come off clothing, but others I have seen stuck purposely onto railings and port walls.

Other companies seem to manage to get their groups simply enough with a numbered paddle as a reminder of which coach you are on. I have never been issued with a sticker or other badge.

Coach number 5 in St Petersburg. That is firmly etched into my memory as our guide would start every bit of information with we are coach number 5... :lol: :roll:
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Is it time cruiselines stopped this potential litter hazard?

Postby andynew » 08 Dec 2015 09:24

Oh! I thought the paddle was to speed up the stragglers.
andynew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 08 Dec 2015 10:41

tomvet wrote:...The odd thing is that it is only MSC stickers that you see littered about the port areas. I can only put this down to three reasons (a) other cruise lines don't issue them, Thomson don't; (b) MSC use bad quality stickers that easily fall from the passenger's garment and (c) MSC attracts a particular type of passenger that does not respect the environment - hardly!

Far be it from me to contradict anyone's claim but... :lol:

...Thomson does sometimes issue stickers. For example, the big yellow stickers in this photo say: "Thomson Cruises":

This was a rare exception for Thomson but I think it was very sensible on this occasion. The excursion to Chichen Itza included access to an adjacent hotel complex and the stickers provided a convenient form of identification as well as helping us to find other members of our tour after our free time.

As you might guess from the above, I've looked through my photos for sticker-shots (it's raining and I've nothing much better to do! :D ). I couldn't find any for Fred Olsen but I did find lots for Costa. Viking appears to provide lanyards on occasion rather than stickers. Overall, my research revealed that the great majority of our tours, excursions and beach transfers have been sticker-free.

I can't say that I mind the use of stickers. We tend to wander off on our own a lot on tours and excursions, and stickers on other people help us to find the right group to join later. Also, on beach transfers, sometimes a block/area of sun loungers is reserved for our ship and it can be reassuring to see people nearby with Costa stickers.

But as for stickers being a potential litter hazard... I agree that responsibility for not littering is down to the sticker-wearer.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Grumbles