Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Steep Gangways

Steep Gangways

Steep Gangways

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2016 19:42

Image taken this week of disembarking passengers from MSC Splendida at Dublin Port.

SteepGangway.jpg

When I see this, I just cannot help but think about the contempt cruiselines have for their

Old
    Less sure footed
    Young
    Disabled

passengers. How can one disembark safely under these conditions.

The cruise lines will state they have no control on the tide levels - that goes with out saying. But why not embark and disembark passengers to / from a lower deck??

Cruiselines would probably say that lower decks are crew decks and passengers are not allowed access to them.

Then design the ship a different way but not put passengers at risk. Can you imagine the domino effect if the person at the top of the gangway slipped?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Steep Gangways

Postby octocruiser » 13 May 2016 19:58

tomvet wrote:Image taken this week of disembarking passengers from MSC Splendida at Dublin Port.

SteepGangway.jpg

When I see this, I just cannot help but think about the contempt cruiselines have for their

Old
    Less sure footed
    Young
    Disabled

The cruise lines will state they have no control on the tide levels - that goes with out saying. But why not embark and disembark passengers to / from a lower deck??

Cruiselines would probably say that lower decks are crew decks and passengers are not allowed access to them.

Then design the ship a different way but not put passengers at risk. Can you imagine the domino effect if the person at the top of the gangway slipped?

Absolutely ! We have faced even steeper ones than that.

As I commented in Bobbyoscar's thread there would be no need to refuse to embark or disembark passengers with wheelchairs if it was an established practice to have access at a level just above quayside level that wheelchairs can be wheeled along and if necessary have a small lift of the cage type tnat are in common use in stores, tourist attracfions and other places to raise or drop the chair the final few feet.

Places in UK that give access to the public are required by law to provide equal access to disabled people. Ships that carry thousands of passengers should be no different.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Steep Gangways

Postby tomvet » 13 May 2016 20:09

octocruiser wrote:
tomvet wrote:Image taken this week of disembarking passengers from MSC Splendida at Dublin Port.

SteepGangway.jpg

Old
    Less sure footed
    Young
    Disabled

Absolutely ! We have faced even steeper ones than that.

As I commented in Bobbyoscar's thread there would be no need to refuse to embark or disembark passengers with wheelchairs if it was an established practice to have access at a level just above quayside level that wheelchairs can be wheeled along and if necessary have a small lift of the cage type tnat are in common use in stores, tourist attracfions and other places to raise or drop the chair the final few feet.

Places in UK that give access to the public are required by law to provide equal access to disabled people. Ships that carry thousands of passengers should be no different.

Well actually there is EU law that states that cruiselines and ferries cannot refuse a passenger to embark on the basis of disability. However, there is a get out clause where they can if it is deemed unsafe. Unfortunately shipping companies grasp to that. I think enforcers should force the shipping company to validate their health and safety ground out!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Steep Gangways

Postby tobysgranny » 15 May 2016 11:43

As one who has problems on normal less steep gangplanks the thought of disembarking using that gangway makes me feel quite ill. Glad to say we had no such problems on The Independence or The Navigator and I managed fine.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Steep Gangways

Postby Skier Pete » 15 May 2016 15:49

SteepGangway.jpg

Old
    Less sure footed
    Young
    Disabled

passengers. How can one disembark safely under these conditions. I bet the gangway is the sort that makes a stair case, which has it's treads level to the ground, irrespective of the slope of the gangway. That's the type I've always seen in use on the MSC ships I've been on.

This was the angle of the gangway, (from deck 4) that MSC used on my recent cruise, The only exception was where the port provided a gantry mounted gangway where they tended to use deck 6.

They sometimes had two gangways in use, one on deck 4 and one on deck 5, the choice as to which one you used was left to you. However crew had to use the one on deck 4 as that went straight into the crew areas.,

MSC do get things right as well as making some errors.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Steep Gangways

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 16:12

Skier Pete wrote:

SteepGangway.jpg

Old
    Less sure footed
    Young
    Disabled

passengers. How can one disembark safely under these conditions. I bet the gangway is the sort that makes a stair case, which has it's treads level to the ground, irrespective of the slope of the gangway. That's the type I've always seen in use on the MSC ships I've been on.

This was the angle of the gangway, (from deck 4) that MSC used on my recent cruise, The only exception was where the port provided a gantry mounted gangway where they tended to use deck 6.

They sometimes had two gangways in use, one on deck 4 and one on deck 5, the choice as to which one you used was left to you. However crew had to use the one on deck 4 as that went straight into the crew areas.,

MSC do get things right as well as making some errors.

Are we a tad defensive of MSC here Pete. The opening post did show a picture of MSC Splendida in Dublin but thereafter it referred to cruiselines in general. I have had very steep gangways in many ports on many ships and I can never understand why they cannot (dis)embark passengers from/to a lower deck.

And you point about the gangway turning into a stairs - I have no doubt that you are correct but giving the gradient and the height - do you still think its acceptable for passengers in wheelchairs or kids in buggies? I don't!

As regards your photo, I still think the gangway is too steep. I notice there are steps also not in use - might level the gradient somewhat but there are still steps. So not altogether that impressed.

BTW a good photo for the 'Name that port' thread!

Costa Meditterannea always disembarked from deck 1 or A deck (deck -1) - neither was satisfactory with the buggy. Staff would assist but that was hit and miss - some could not do enough while others would stand around with hands in pockets while you struggled over the edge of the pier!! :shock:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Steep Gangways

Postby gatwick » 15 May 2016 21:52

octocruiser wrote:
Places in UK that give access to the public are required by law to provide equal access to disabled people.

Usually that is correct however there are still public places that are given exemptions and don't have to provide equal access
gatwick
Ensign
Ensign

Steep Gangways

Postby JollyJill » 19 May 2016 12:50

I will always remember the gangway on CMV's mv Azores, now renamed Astoria. I wonder if they have done anything to rectify the problem, given that there accidents on our cruise due to the steep angle of the gangway.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Steep Gangways

Postby tobysgranny » 19 May 2016 16:24

My goodness Jill. I would have hated to have had to come down that gangway. I'm bad enough on a 'normal' one.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Steep Gangways

Postby JollyJill » 19 May 2016 16:34

tobysgranny wrote:My goodness Jill. I would have hated to have had to come down that gangway. I'm bad enough on a 'normal' one.

Joan

It was hairy Joan. An American lady fell down it and broke her shoulder; her face was badly bruised too.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Grumbles