Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - It wasn't me! But it could have been!

It wasn't me! But it could have been!

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 22:20

I have been described as scruffy and certainly my shorts have received some attention and focus in the past, however, I have read elsewhere that a couple disembarked a ship recently with just two small rucksacks containing their entire travel belongings where the writer claimed the same hold all would not be sufficient to carry their shoes and their meds!

On our recent Costa Mediterranea cruise we travelled with two suit cases of 15kg each pushing Ryanair's allowance to the limit and two ruck sacks containing 7.5 and 9.8kgs. So that was 47kg for 5 persons - less than 10kg per person :shock: :shock: That includes cameras, batteries, 44 nappies that we did not use and were too mean to leave behind, sunscreens and shoes (3 pairs each roughly - dressy shoes, walking shoes / runners and sandals each!)

While it is well down the list, but one advantage of cruising with Costa is their casual dress code on board - so we don't have to pack dinner jackets etc.

I could easily have been that person who was looked upon with disdain just because they travelled light!!

So should we ever see you on board, please excuse my scruffy daughter? :roll:

October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Skier Pete » 15 May 2016 23:00

tomvet wrote:I have been described as scruffy and certainly my shorts have received some attention and focus in the past, however, I have read elsewhere that a couple disembarked a ship recently with just two small rucksacks containing their entire travel belongings where the writer claimed the same hold all would not be sufficient to carry their shoes and their meds!

On our recent Costa Mediterranea cruise we travelled with two suit cases of 15kg each pushing Ryanair's allowance to the limit and two ruck sacks containing 7.5 and 9.8kgs. So that was 47kg for 5 persons - less than 10kg per person :shock: :shock: That includes cameras, batteries, 44 nappies that we did not use and were too mean to leave behind, sunscreens and shoes (3 pairs each roughly - dressy shoes, walking shoes / runners and sandals each!)

While it is well down the list, but one advantage of cruising with Costa is their casual dress code on board - so we don't have to pack dinner jackets etc.

I could easily have been that person who was looked upon with disdain just because they travelled light!!

Wow how did you manage on so little luggage

WE had three suitcases at the weight limit (23 kg each). we did have to pay for one of them.

And we had the max size cabin bag each (they can weigh up to 23 kg as well, but what would weigh that much in such a small volume?, Osmium perhaps !!??) plus the laptop bag each which is allowed by BA, No laptop inside. That's why we like BA , for the generous baggage allowance.
mind you we had to survive 30 days on that luggage, which of course contained my dress suit and shoes (I wore them 7 times, on all the Gala nights) as well as all my wife's posh dresses.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 15 May 2016 23:10

Skier Pete wrote:
tomvet wrote:I have been described as scruffy and certainly my shorts have received some attention and focus in the past, however, I have read elsewhere that a couple disembarked a ship recently with just two small rucksacks containing their entire travel belongings where the writer claimed the same hold all would not be sufficient to carry their shoes and their meds!

Wow how did you manage on so little luggage

WE had three suitcases at the weight limit (23 kg each). we did have to pay for one of them.

And we had the max size cabin bag each (they can weigh up to 23 kg as well, but what would weigh that much in such a small volume?, Osmium perhaps !!??) plus the laptop bag each which is allowed by BA, No laptop inside. That's why we like BA , for the generous baggage allowance.
mind you we had to survive 30 days on that luggage, which of course contained my dress suit and shoes (I wore them 7 times, on all the Gala nights) as well as all my wife's posh dresses.

For starters, we were away for just 9 nights. I did take clothes, that I didn't wear! We also had baby wipes and they are heavy.
When you do your own transfers on public buses and trains and walk to the dock, which we have done on 4 of our last 5 cruises - you have to be disciplined. I bet if you had to do the same, you would find that you could have done without the third suitcase. We have it down to a tee. Mum pushes the buggy with the twins in it with the 7,5kg rucksack on her back. Dad pulls both cases and the 9.8kg rucksack on his back (it usually has the shoes!). Mai walks alongside the buggy holding the lead.

On the basis of the last journey and when the kids become independent we can manage on 10kg hand luggage each! That's a saving of €60 if doing a return trip on Ryanair. :D
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tobysgranny » 15 May 2016 23:19

When we circumnavigated Australia on The Rhapsody back in 2010 we've became quite friendly with two guys from Canada. They had been together for 27 years and were in fact married. On the last morning we were having breakfast with them before disembarking (we had been on the ship for 35 nights) and they each had a small carry-on cabin sized case. It turned out that this was their entire luggage. They had tried an experiment whereby they only brought five of everything and just washed things out as they went along. As we sat with them most nights we did'nt think for one moment that they appeared scruffy at any time, although we used to laught at them wearing trainers on formal nights.

I would say their experiment was successful so how come we came home from our latest trip with four very large suitcases!

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 15 May 2016 23:21

I forgot to say Mia looks beautiful Tom.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: It wasn't me! But it could have been!

Postby Toongirl » 15 May 2016 23:25

We try to travel light. We usually manage with one largish suitcase and a cabin size case. Husband has a really bad back so I end up doing most of the carrying so we have learned to only pack what we know we will wear.
Ang
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 15 May 2016 23:34

I'm hoping for one large suitcase and one small suitcase (cabin size) and two rucksacks for this next cruise. Rucksack will contain food for the train our paperwork cameras etc.

I'm hoping to get away with two dresses, one pair of dress trousers and one pair of dark jeans in evening, with a few tops and two cardigans or shrugs

for during the day I'm hoping for just two pairs of long canvas type trousers, 1 pair of 3/4 and a pair of shorts (maybe two pairs depending on weather forecast) and pair of jeans for day time and I'm thinking can I get away with one pair of long canvas trousers but you know lol. a few tops

I'm taking a pair of black dress shoes for evening and pair of white sandals. small bag for evenings maybe two not decided yet lol
for daytime I'm thinking pair of trainers (be wearing those travelling) a pair of sandshoes and pair of crocs for around the pool.

Two sweaters or jumpers and a cagoul

Cabin companion if he lucky might be allowed to take his clothes if it don't take up to much room in my suit case :lol: I may allow him swim shorts and a t-shirt if hes nice to me :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby Dave » 16 May 2016 08:24

Are there really people who comment online about the amount of luggage other people take on holiday? I can't think why it would interest them.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 16 May 2016 09:01

Our next cruise is to the Baltics in a few weeks and I've been told it could be very hot in Russia at this time of year but what if it's not so hot? Already I'm thinking I have to take clothes for hot weather and cooler weather!!! I can see me taking too many clothes again 'just in case'. I wish I could learn to travel lighter, but then I'm thinking we are going from Southampton so weight restrictions don't apply. Here I go again!!! I expect I'll overpack once again.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 16 May 2016 10:46

I have always been a 'Take - everything - including - the - kitchen - sink - just - in - case ' traveller . Even when we used to fly and even in the days when we were camping with three kids in tow my packing was a three day operation.

Nothing was left behind and half of it came home unused, some of it lent to fellow travellers who were travelling light and had an emergency. ;) Now with door to door travel and literally only having to handle bags to get them down in the lift to the front door the aky is the limit.

But I have been trying to rationalise and reduce the load. The bugbear is the tedium of the actual packing and the unpacking and sorting,/washing/stowing away when we get home. On the ship is not so bad because anything that will go on a hanger travels on a hanger and gets hung straight into the wardrobes . Things like T- shirts, jumpers etc are folded into packing cubes and are only taken out as required. Limewise undies,etc go in zip bags and go straight into drawers.

Packing up in the cabin to come home gets pushed in anyhow , no worries about creasing, sorting etc. They just get pushed in and zipped up.

We usually each have one large suiter - hung with multiple hangers up to maximum weight - one large wheelie zipper holdall each and one wheelie handluggage each.

I have managed to reduce this into smaller neater wheelie cases for train travel as that requires more handling, although we only do direct journies and always book assistance to do it, plus we are always going to rellies so don't need to dress up or take loads of 'just-in-case' items . Invitations to said rellies usually come with stern reminders that we are being met with a car rather than a pantechnicon ;) and we are going to a home stocked with emergency supplies for every contingency - and shops within a short radius. :lol:

I envy the people who manage to travel light and still look immaculate in every situation but it is an art I am unlikely to master.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Grumbles