Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Fees charged for transferring cruises to another!

Fees charged for transferring cruises to another!

Postby sevenseascoaster » 13 Aug 2016 17:56

Our Family have recently had cause to transfer one booked cruise for another. The Cruise is over 13 months away. The Deposit already paid was £600, to exchange to another Itinerary has cost them £225!!

I think this is really excessive, just a phone call, a few clicks on a computer is all it takes, no paperwork required! So why do they charge so much?, after all they are keeping their business.

If you book through an American Travel Agent, no charge even if you cancel !!!!

Rant over :lol:
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 13 Aug 2016 18:06

sevenseascoaster wrote:Our Family have recently had cause to transfer one booked cruise for another. The Cruise is over 13 months away. The Deposit already paid was £600, to exchange to another Itinerary has cost them £225!!

I think this is really excessive, just a phone call, a few clicks on a computer is all it takes, no paperwork required! So why do they charge so much?, after all they are keeping their business.

If you book through an American Travel Agent, no charge even if you cancel !!!!

Rant over :lol:

I guess it depends on the cruise line Wen.

We originally booked a world cruise with Fred Olsen 18 months before the sail date. For a variety of reasons, we changed the booking to a 76 night cruise with Fred. I can't remember exactly how much we paid to transfer the booking but it wasn't as much a Celebrity are charging your family.
As you say, why do they need to charge that much when there is little work involved for them and probably no worries about refilling the cabin you originally booked.

It's just another money making exercise isn't it? :roll:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 13 Aug 2016 19:27

Sorry to hear this Wen FO didn't charge us to change our last booking but it was done through our TA who told us they allow you to move a booking once to another free of charge.
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Fees charged for transferring cruises to another!

Postby tomvet » 13 Aug 2016 19:29

Well the travel agent would say, that you are getting a professional service and therefore a professional fee should apply! :roll:
I think everyone should be paid for their time but 250£ is excessive for the work involved - not sure how many names needed transferring but £100 would have been more than enough as a change fee considering if a TA was used, they would still get their Commission.

When you changed your Fred cruise Jill, I am not sure if you had to may an amendment fee but was not part of the deal was to transfer to a cruise of equal or higher value - so as you were going from 115 to 76 nights you had to take a higher grade cabin to satisfy that requirement.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 13 Aug 2016 20:09

When you changed your Fred cruise Jill, I am not sure if you had to may an amendment fee but was not part of the deal was to transfer to a cruise of equal or higher value - so as you were going from 115 to 76 nights you had to take a higher grade cabin to satisfy that requirement.

Yes Tom, you are correct but we still paid a transfer fee too.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 13 Aug 2016 20:35

Woah! that is excessive, Wen.

As you say a few clicks and it's costing you £225! You are not even cancelling but amending your booking.

I'm not surprised you feel upset over it.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 14 Aug 2016 10:06

We have switched cruises twice with Saga on different occasions. The first time there was no charge, the second time £50 as far as I can remember.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 14 Aug 2016 10:36

Sorry to hear you are having to pay this Wen. It's not as if it's a last minute change. :sick:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tomvet » 14 Aug 2016 12:02

octocruiser wrote:We have switched cruises twice with Saga on different occasions. The first time there was no charge, the second time £50 as far as I can remember.

Ithink £50 is reasonable as there is work involved in cancelling one and searching out cabins and rebooking another - the person charging £250 is well paid for their work - I wonder who is charging it the TA or the CruiseLine? If the cruiseline insist on the charge and the TA is charging it and has to do the work, how much does the TA get?
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 14 Aug 2016 14:44

tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:We have switched cruises twice with Saga on different occasions. The first time there was no charge, the second time £50 as far as I can remember.

Ithink £50 is reasonable as there is work involved in cancelling one and searching out cabins and rebooking another - the person charging £250 is well paid for their work - I wonder who is charging it the TA or the CruiseLine? If the cruiseline insist on the charge and the TA is charging it and has to do the work, how much does the TA get?

I agree Tom that £50 would have been a reasonable charge, the Cruise line Celebrity charge £75 per person for the first two people and then the Travel Agent also charge £25 Per person. Considering that we searched and found the available cruise and cabins available for the different itinerary, not a lot of work for anyone on a computer, to cancel one and rebook the new one. Apparently if you are Elite or above, you are allowed one change free of charge, unfortunately the family haven't got up to that status yet! Even though I booked it for them and hold Elite+ status it didn't count :shock: So much for patronage?.

If other Lines can do it free of charge, or for a reasonable fee as pointed out by others, then others surely could do so too?.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next