Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Thomson Spirit insisting over 12s take full price drinks package!

Thomson Spirit insisting over 12s take full price drinks package!

Postby elliebee19 » 16 Mar 2017 14:54

Really disgruntled with Thomsons. I have booked my third trip on the Spirit and travel on my own with my 14 year old son.

Since he was 12, I have had to pay full adult price for him and accept this is standard.

However, this year, Thomsons are only willing to offer the full priced drinks package for him and I can't book the child's package. Although obviously he wont be allowed to have anything other than soft drinks.

I think charging as an adult for the holiday is acceptable but to insist I also pay for the full drinks package seems rather unreasonable to me.

Are all cruise lines adopting this policy?
elliebee19

Postby Mungo » 16 Mar 2017 21:55

Hello and Welcome! :wave:

All I can say is how ridiculous!! Total agree that it's unreasonable.

I would get in touch with head office. I would assume that the computer system this time can't cope with not having 2 adults ie over 18 in a cabin. :shock:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 16 Mar 2017 23:30

Fred don't do a childrens package at all but I would have thought if there was an adult price and child's price then under 18's pay the child price since they are NOT adults

If it where me id send of a polite but to the point email to the customer did-services department pointing all this out and ask when this policy was changed as you where always given the childrens price before so can they send you information on when this policy was changed and why as they are charging a child for alcohol that he isn't going to be able to buy. Also say that since this is now their policy despite being a loyal customer that you will be taking your business elsewhere as there other cruiselines out there that are more than happy to please their customers. btw does everyone in the cabin need to take the package?? if not I would just get one for yourself and buy your sons onboard
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: Thomson Spirit insisting over 12s take full price drinks package!

Postby tomvet » 17 Mar 2017 00:30

Is this all or nothing, i.e. are their adult alcohol and adult non-alcohol packages? It does seem inequitable or a conundrum to advertise a package as so wonderful because it includes such a variety of alcoholic drinks and such a great value price and then charge a kid the great value price where by law they cannot have the alcohol!

I would write to customer services - in fairness to Thomson, as cruise lines go and in the age where customer service provision leaves a lot to be desired, Thomson at least do listen and do proffer some solutions.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 19 Mar 2017 00:00

I just got this on Thomson site a-z info

All Inclusive Drinks Package
Here we’re talking about a drinks package that’s available onboard Thomson Majesty, Thomson Celebration, Thomson Dream and Thomson Spirit. You can book the package when you’re onboard or before you travel. If you book before you travel you’ll get a discount on the price. Every person on the booking must be included. The drinks package includes selected draught beers, spirits, aperitifs, house wine, soft drinks and a range of cocktails. Some branded spirits and premium drinks such as Champagne, malt whiskies, ciders and bottled beers, all speciality coffees, bottled water and some hot drinks aren’t included.
Drinks are available from all bars, lounges and restaurants. If you order a drink between 2am and 10am, it’ll be charged to your onboard account. The minimum drinking age on our ships is 18. Child prices apply for under 18 year olds. The All Inclusive upgrade only applies while you’re on the ship and doesn’t apply to hotels on Cruise & Stay or Stay & Cruise holidays. Free or discounted offers are available on selected holidays, dates and departure airports, subject to availability, and can be withdrawn at any time.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/webcruise/page/common/atoz/atoztandc.page

It clearly states that child prices apply to under 18 year olds. it does not say only if they sharing with two adults etc just that it applies to under 18 so clearly whoever you spoke to is incorrect. I would send them an email including this paragraph and a link to the page. Clearly they don't know their own policy.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Return to Grumbles