Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - How companies' poor customer service has led to boycotts

How companies' poor customer service has led to boycotts

Postby Dave » 21 Sep 2017 17:39

I suppose that the Grumbles area is a suitable place to post this. :think:

I liked this article on the BBC News website: How companies' poor customer service has led to boycotts because it reminded me that I'm not the only one who boycotts certain companies! :D

My own list is very long, but I'll pick just one example...

I began my boycott of P&O more than seven years ago after we'd done a Caribbean cruise on Ventura. We smoked back then and a very nice cigarette lighter with great sentimental value was confiscated from us at Barbados airport on the way home. (The sentimental value was to do with it being given to my wife by her father.) No other airport ever confiscated a lighter from us before or since, and there was no warning on the ship or relevant websites that this might happen. I contacted P&O and pointed out (most politely!) that they might have warned us about the Barbados airport policy - especially since they were selling souvenir lighters on board Ventura. (I wonder how many lighters they sold to passengers only for them to be confiscated at the airport.)

Anyway, the point is this... P&O weren't interested - not their problem. Now, if they'd sympathised and sent us one of their souvenir lighters as a goodwill gesture (costing them only a few pence) then I'm sure we'd have been delighted and booked further cruises. Instead, the boycott continues... :lol:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 24 Sep 2017 09:39

I'm with you on this one, Dave.

We also have a list of companies we have chosen not to deal with after receiving poor customer service. I also make a point of whenever these companies are mentioned in conversation to tell of our experiences with them.

An example of this is Travel Agents.

The first TA we used in recent times were not interested in 'fighting our corner' when we needed to change a booking, due to serious health issues, and it was left to me to write to the cruise line to explain the necessity to change without the need to pay a rebooking fee.

The second TA 'forgot' to pre register us for a cruise on a ship which only has 8 W/A cabins; we ended up with our 5th choice of cabin.

So far so good with our 3rd choice of TA, Thomas Cook, who we have now booked 4 cruises with and, incidentally, have also given us more than 4 times the discount offered to us by our first TA and more than double the discount from our second TA.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 24 Sep 2017 13:57

Strange how different companies affect us in different ways! :think:

Dave has had a bad experience with P&O. I have to say that my experience with them has been far better. When Oriana couldn't dock in the correct berth in Southampton due to high winds and our cruise was delayed a day we had excellent Customer service from them........texts, phone calls, extra OBC plus refund of any money paid out for overnight accommodation, meals etc and a 50% refund of the total cruise price! They also responded well when there was the issue of double payments taken out earlier this year and I've been given some OBC for my next cruise with them. They also sent wonderful old posters for my daughter's wedding when I told them she had "travel" as a theme and was to have her honeymoon on board Oceana. :mrgreen:

Fred Olsen's customer service on the other hand has been disappointing. A mini cruise with them was cancelled and a very unsympathetic letter with a cheque was received from them. I created a fuss over their lack of sympathy and did end up with 25% off a future mini cruise. A shame they couldn't have started off with a far better worded letter with an apology. I have sailed with them a few times since then but more for convenience than anything else.

I do now try as much as possible to support the small independent businesses when I can. Far better customer service from most. :thumbup:
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 24 Sep 2017 18:24

It's funny about different experience for example Amazon who I use to buy just about everything a part from holidays and clothing. I have spent thousands with them over the years and have only had problems about three times and they have always solved them to my satisfaction.

The same cannot be said of a well known catalogue firm. I ordered from them a games console games and controllers all one order but three separate parcels. Now the initial problem was caused by the courier. They delivered two of the parcels but could not find the address to deliver third. Even although it appeared from tracking they all left the various places together at sametime. I contacts the catalogue firm regarding this as the none delivered package was the console. I was very polite asking if they could look into this for me and let me know what was happening basically. The reply I got was we will give u £5 voucher for money off your next order but no mention of when ordered would be delivered. Meanwhile my account is showing less and less days to return item of not happy. So I emails them pointing out that £5 goodwill voucher although a nice gesture was unnecessary was of no good to me nor were the other parcels without this one. I pointed out i didn't want compensation i merely wanted my parcel and when was I likely to recieve it. The next email I received let's just say was so cheeky that I immediately on reading it made an official complaint against the member of staff who sent it. A complaint the company upheld by the way.she actually accused me of trying to get something for nothing and that wasn't going to happen. They didn't just give out compensation because a parcel never came. Well any after more than a week of this sending emails backwards and forwards and about half an hour after I sent an email saying it still wasn't here. The courier turns up with parcel and next day I gets a email from catalogue company saying courier says that it was delivered so could I please send them a copy of my signature for comparison. I was the one who took in the parcel he didn't ask for a signature so no idea who signed it lol. Also had same problem with this company when I ordered furniture from them but they resolved that to my satisfaction although it took some pushing on my part. First of all they didn't contact me to tell me it would be delayed. Then when I contacted them I was told just to wait and see if it came. No they supposed to call three days before and arrange delivery this was three door wardrobe and two sets of drawers not a pair of jeans. It became funny as i started posting along with several others daily updates of what I called my bedroom furniture saga. The things you have to do to get a company to sort out an issue. Best bit of whole thing was after waiting 10 weeks they said 7 when it finally arrived it was damaged i kind of lost the plot at that point lol. Thing is I had used them loads of times before and had a few issues but stuff that was always resolved to my satisfaction immediately. they did resolve it to my satisfaction eventually but I think by this point they wanted me to shut up lol.

Fred Olsen customer services can be a bit hit and miss I was told wrong information at least twice my last cruise with them.

CMV I found very helpful with queries and prompt replies although lack of info about embarkation and disembarkation was not so good.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: How companies' poor customer service has led to boycotts

Postby Carwalsick » 24 Sep 2017 19:43

In the interests of assisting others how about naming the culprits?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 27 Sep 2017 12:32

I have boycotted a car insurance company here - and there are not too many around, in this area. I was in Lidl car park, and putting groceries into the back seat of my (obviously parked!) car as the boot was 'playing up' at the time. I was leaning right in when I heard a bang and the car shook. A departing campervan had clipped the open door and knocked it right back. I raced after it and stopped them. The wife was very apologetic and the driver said get a quote for a repair (the door would close properly( and he'd sort it and we arranged to meet next day. Next day came and he denied he was at fault and that had made a scratch on his campervan! So tried to make a claim through the insurance company who refused to pursue the claim, saying as he was counterclaiming for the scratch my car door had made on his van, then they were treating it as 'knock for knock'. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 28 Sep 2017 12:19

Gillzajoker wrote:I have boycotted a car insurance company here - and there are not too many around, in this area. I was in Lidl car park, and putting groceries into the back seat of my (obviously parked!) car as the boot was 'playing up' at the time. I was leaning right in when I heard a bang and the car shook. A departing campervan had clipped the open door and knocked it right back. I raced after it and stopped them. The wife was very apologetic and the driver said get a quote for a repair (the door would close properly( and he'd sort it and we arranged to meet next day. Next day came and he denied he was at fault and that had made a scratch on his campervan! So tried to make a claim through the insurance company who refused to pursue the claim, saying as he was counterclaiming for the scratch my car door had made on his van, then they were treating it as 'knock for knock'. :evil: :evil: :evil:

He could have bloody killed you never mind the car door or the scratch to the campervan he could have killed you as you were not moving how on earth could they say they was treating it as knock for knock. I would have took that further if it was in Lidl carpark they might have had cctv of the incident. Of course they wouldn't have given you it the police would need to request it :roll:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Sep 2017 10:30

I would have pursued it if it had been in the UK, Donna, but the Spanish legal system here is a minefield, unfortunately :(
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: How companies' poor customer service has led to boycotts

Postby Camela » 29 Sep 2017 20:46

About 10 years ago I boycotted Abbey National/Santander after poor customer service. Mr P tried for years to get me to have a 123 account for the advantages but I wouldn't.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby divingbrit » 29 Sep 2017 21:28

50+ years ago, (as a mere slip of a lad) went to my local bank, with my pocket money in a jar, was refused when I asked to deposit it into my account, yes I had an account, went home, told my dad, who closed the account for me, and never went back to that bank, their loss, Mortgage, Shares, Life Insurance, current, savings, Pension, ISA,foreign exchange, all lost because someone would not help out a ten year old boy.
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Grumbles