Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - When spending a penny costs €0,50!!!

When spending a penny costs €0,50!!!

Postby tomvet » 21 Apr 2018 21:18

A bugbear of mine especially when travelling in the continent and now even more so when travelling with kids is the incessant charging to use the toilets. Firstly the cost does add up but more than that is inconvenience of not having the correct change or to have only notes.

I had a recent experience in McDonalds in Rotterdam. We had coffees there and I went to use the loos and was surprised that customers were obligated to pay €0,50. I had left everything with OH downstairs at the table and I had €0,45 in my pocket. The attendant followed me to my table for the €0,05. I just hoped that every person that used the loo while she was away didn't pay - it did not make any sense for me.

Some places are good when it comes to kids - the adult pays and the kids go free which probably makes sense as they all use the single lavatory anyway but in Koblenz station, despite being rail travellers and having something to eat at the train station, we had to pay per person €2,50 to use the loo because we had to enter via a turnstile and the attendant refused to open the wheel chair accessible gate!! :evil: :evil:

I think during our recent trip to Germany and the Netherlands, we spent about €25,00 to spend a penny!!!

I suppose the upside is that we did not come accross any stinking, nauseating cess pits.

Note to self! Drink less coffee when ashore!!! :D
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: When spending a penny costs €0,50!!!

Postby rdw123 » 22 Apr 2018 07:41

It annoys me as well Tom. I have been known to crawl under the gate when I had no change, needs must! Don’t go to Venice the public loo there charged 1.50 and it wasn’t very clean and no paper.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Peka » 29 Apr 2018 18:45

It is one of the most annoying things! I remember being in a McDonalds in the Hague with a friend years ago and I said I'd just pop to the facilities before heading back to her apartment... she said it would cost so I decided I didn't need it anyway!! I don't think you should have to pay if you already purchased food or drink. I remember in Italy this old woman attending to the cubicles handing you a single sheet of toilet paper :roll: for not a very clean experience and in Israel the attendant was slopping bleach water at your feet from the other side of the cubicle. :?

I think they have stopped most the paying loos at London stations. Most annoying when with kids always got them to go under the barrier at Victoria and pay for one as quite often it was only to chaperone them.

So many stories... but I'll save them for my book "To pee or not to pee" (mainly not :evil: )
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 02 May 2018 10:24

It is the law in Spain (so have been told, but not verified) that a person can go into any bar or restaurant to use their facilities without charge and without necessarily buying a drink - though polite custom deems one should make a small purchase. I meet up with friends in a bar on Market Day and there is a constant stream of people marching in and out without buying a drink. I have experienced this in other areas also, not just here. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 02 May 2018 19:36

Gillzajoker wrote:It is the law in Spain (so have been told, but not verified) that a person can go into any bar or restaurant to use their facilities without charge and without necessarily buying a drink - though polite custom deems one should make a small purchase. I meet up with friends in a bar on Market Day and there is a constant stream of people marching in and out without buying a drink. I have experienced this in other areas also, not just here. :D

Rome is the same i believe or it was a few years ago.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby tomvet » 03 May 2018 22:26

Gillzajoker wrote:It is the law in Spain (so have been told, but not verified) that a person can go into any bar or restaurant to use their facilities without charge and without necessarily buying a drink - though polite custom deems one should make a small purchase. I meet up with friends in a bar on Market Day and there is a constant stream of people marching in and out without buying a drink. I have experienced this in other areas also, not just here. :D

While dining in Venice, anyone who came in wished to use the loo was asked to purchase the cheapest item on offer i.e. a 500ml bottle of H2O for €1,50.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 04 May 2018 09:45

tomvet wrote:

While dining in Venice, anyone who came in wished to use the loo was asked to purchase the cheapest item on offer i.e. a 500ml bottle of H2O for €1,50.

.......................which an hour or so later......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wanderingsascent » 19 Nov 2018 21:35

Just back from Caribbean, had to pay 1$ to spend a penny whilst on the beach in Grenada.
Wanderingsascent
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Grumbles