Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Missing a port of call! Grrr!

Missing a port of call! Grrr!

Postby tomvet » 19 Nov 2018 21:52

yes! yes! yes! I know there is nothing the cruiseline can do about bad weather and ports have to be missed from time to time - but why does it happen at the port that you really wanted to visit or have less chance of returning to easily or at a relative modest price.
And it is not my imagination - we have missed ports in Galway and went to Belfast instead - I have never since seen a cruise that called to Galway.

On our recent MSC Opera cruise it was booked mainly because Mahon, Cagliari, Valetta and Messina were new ports for us. The latter 3 appear semi regularly on itineraries but Mahon less so! Guess what port had to be missed due to inclement weather! Yup! Mahon!!! To add insult to injury guess what it was replaced by - Palma de Mallorca - our most visited port. We decided to visit Bellver Castle in P de M. Guess what? Closed on a Monday!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Grrrr! Nothing for it but to sit in a café and indulge on Chocolate and Churras!!! :D :D :D

Have you found that the port you have to miss is the one that you would least choose to miss if you had the choice? I also feel cruise lines when forced to miss take the option that is easiest for them. As we were sailing from Marseille to Cagliari - a second Sardinian port or a Corsican port should have been feasible I would have thought!!!

Having said that we did have the worst week possible on a Med cruise - rain rain rain! What we got in Valetta would pale the wettest day in Ireland into insignificance.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Missing a port of call! Grrr!

Postby Meg50 » 19 Nov 2018 21:56

ships do call in to Galway - we were staying there a few years ago and there was a ship anchored in the bay
140.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 20 Nov 2018 12:43

Sorry to hear what with the weather and miss ports, this cruise has been disappointing. I guess I'm lucky as I can't recall missing a port any time. But you certainly picked a bad time to be around Spain at this time, as many areas have had torrential rain with many places flooded. Our main access track has been destroyed but luckily we have a second, higher one, which is usable with care. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby avidcruiser » 21 Nov 2018 00:55

Missed many ports due to bad weather but the one that we will never get back to was Grand Cayman. :cry:
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Dave » 23 Nov 2018 18:14

It's perhaps not surprising that in about 30 cruises we've missed several ports of call, but while it's been disappointing none have been crucial to our enjoyment of a cruise.

However, the other day I came across this news report on The Independent website from earlier this year which shocked me:

Marella cruise line drops visits to Havana, Nassau and Lisbon leaving customers furious

Marella has refused requests from disappointed passengers for a full refund. Each passenger has been offered £25 in on-board spend.

We did a Marella cruise on Discovery and spent two days in Havana - and visiting Cuba was the reason we booked the cruise. We too would have been furious if we'd wasted our (my wife's) hard-earned money on a cruise that didn't go where we'd expected it to go! :evil:

I think there's a real problem with how (some?) cruise lines see their product, as in it's all about their wonderful ships with their fabulous entertainment, food and drink (not necessarily in that order!), with the itinerary being a useful selling point but not nearly as important. And I know that many customers are more than happy with that, but we've (almost) always cruised to see the world and have seen the ship as a secondary consideration.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 Nov 2018 12:17

I totally agree with you there, Dave - Itinerary is the MOST important component of my cruises.
For Marella only to offer £25 is an insult! :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby rdw123 » 25 Nov 2018 09:30

I agree. It’s the itinerary that I go for also. I usually try and get a cruise to places that I have not visited before. If you sail from UK though Lisbon is usually on the agenda and I have now been there 3 times. Always something different to see though and I could ride on the trams all day.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Carwalsick » 25 Nov 2018 19:15

I would think that such fundamental changes required an offer to cancel. This is not the product purchased. I have missed ports but only because of weather or, occasionally a technical problem. Saga did change the itinerary on our recent Canada cruise but with some months notice and in order to give an extra day in Quebec. Other changes were made enroute to avoid storms. Personally I would broadcast this failure far and wide.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 29 Nov 2018 01:39

The ports of call are the most important part of a cruise for us. We enjoy the ship of course but I love to go ashore, especially to new places. I would not have been happy having Havana cancelled.
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 30 Nov 2018 13:59

'Alterations and cancellations by the company' in the T & Cs (no I 've never read it completely). All legalese but it seems they sew you up like a kipper! To my mind such wording should be in plain English as some insurance and banks seem to do now.

I appreciate weather conditions can't be foreseen - we missed St Maarten to my great disappointment for that reason. Call me cynical (moi?) but I wonder whether some changes are pre-planned but the cruise line doesn't let on in advance so avoiding cancellation or more compensation.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Grumbles