Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Coronavirus and cancellations

Coronavirus and cancellations

Postby Camela » 08 Mar 2020 00:10

Seabourn booked for April and Silversea in August. Both lines are very open about their current policies for cancellation and rebooking so we are waiting at the moment. Seabourn is cruise only, we booked flights on British Airways who at the moment only giving flexibility to cancel for flights booked from 5th March. We booked end of February. Kicking myself as I found flights on Lufthansa who are now giving passengers credit if they cancel whenever they booked. I really detest BA who have no thought for passengers,
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 08 Mar 2020 11:42

That's a shame, Camela.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby bobbyoscar » 08 Mar 2020 12:35

We have two cruises booked this year with Celebrity.

The first one is to The Fjords at the end of June. However, Andy is undergoing a medical investigation for a ‘new’ neurological problem. We have travel ins (yearly policy), but, if you are ‘under investigation’ for a medical condition your insurance policy becomes invalid meaning that we could not travel as we have no travel insurance. Our balance is due on 1st May.

So, until yesterday, the question at the back of our minds was, do we take the gamble that his problem will be diagnosed in time and we can travel or do we cancel and incur cancellation charges after we have paid the balance. (Even if we have a diagnosis, we may still cancel, due to the Virus, as Andy is in the high risk group.)

Fortunately, yesterday, there was an announcement from Royal Caribbean that for any of their brands sailing on or before July 31 we can cancel up to 48 hours before departure and the amount paid can be used for a future booking to be used either this year or next.

Feeling relieved now that we have much longer to make a decision and keeping fingers crossed that the NHS can work its magic for us.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Coronavirus and cancellations

Postby Camela » 08 Mar 2020 14:35

Hope the diagnosis is favourable but now at least you have reassurance of the possibility to cancel and don't need to make an immediate decision. I got the same RCC email as they now own Silversea. Our cruise is August so hoping the situation is such that we don't need to cancel.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Mar 2020 15:23

That is good news, Glynis! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 09 Mar 2020 16:25

Our next cruise will be a repositioning cruise from Cape Town to Venice. Yesterday I noticed that the UK Government had added Venice to the list of places to avoid travelling to unless essential. I spoke to my Travel Agents this morning and they advised me that the ship will be diverted to end the cruise at a port that is not on the list and we will be advised as soon as the port is confirmed and a new flight home arranged. Trouble is the list is growing weekly so I suggested that Dover might be a good port to head for. :lol:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Coronavirus and cancellations

Postby Camela » 10 Mar 2020 00:59

Situation changing daily Geoff, it's an unprecedented situation for the cruise lines. Would like to take our Eastern Med Cruise but probably will postpone as departure is 6 weeks away.
Becalmed until
"My Ship is Coming In"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 10 Mar 2020 10:48

Nice try, Geoff!! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby TimC » 10 Mar 2020 20:11

We’re booked on Costa Smeralda- boarding in Barcelona on April 6th. Three Italian ports of call. I’m not confident it’ll happen at all, right now...
Booked: Costa Smeralda Med Cruise from Barcelona
TimC
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Gillzajoker » 11 Mar 2020 16:18

TimC wrote:We’re booked on Costa Smeralda- boarding in Barcelona on April 6th. Three Italian ports of call. I’m not confident it’ll happen at all, right now...

As Italy is now on lockdown, I think it highly unlikely - hopefully they will offer suitable alternatives.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Next

Return to Grumbles